+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration when you have speech impairment or STUTTERing.

ilusha

Jan 18, 2017
Hi Guys.

My active IELTS score is L-7.5, R-8, W-6.5, S-7. Last week I attended another test to improve my score.
However, I did worse than ever at IELTS examination due to stuttering. I couldn't say anything even my name, and I failed to properly describe my iPhone. Shame on me, I know. But you know stutters could have "bad" days and "good" days. I couldn't even name myself as a disable person because my impairment was not obstacle for me during my lifetime as I graduated with first from domestic university, then won a scholarship and went to the UK to do my master's. I have 7 years experience at EPC contracts in oil and gas industry and etc.
You might ask question "how you did well on Speaking in the previous assessment?" Well. There are probably a lot of factors. First of all, smiling examiner. Unfortunately, he left a town. Secondly, I had no any tension and pressure on that time and I was very confident during exam. The room where exam was held was also with lot of sunshine and peaceful atmosphere, while in the latest exam the room was dark and HVAC was very distractive. Probably, some of you aware that these all matters for stutters.

Now, I don't want to experience the same feelings (tension, pressure, stress because of fail and etc.) and emotions during pre and post exam. And I came up with the solution to apply for exemption in Speaking part. For this, I should provide Cambridge or Oxford with medical certificate with strong justification which I likely could do. And myTest Report Form will have the following statement printed on it:

‘Due to extreme speaking difficulties, this candidate was exempt from the Speaking test. The Speaking test Band Score has been notionalised on the basis of the average of the other three Band Scores.'
The same will be done on my Express Entry account as shown here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-tool.asp

And from here my main questions arise:
How health physician will assess my speech restriction during my medical examination for visa purposes?
In most cases, when there are no excitements, stress and pressure my impairment is mild, but not severe or markedly restricted.
I think, in the worst case, local health physician will report me as a mild stutter. Even though, if my medical condition at the time of medical examination will be severe, I believe that my costs will not be more than the cost threshold, which is $19,812 per year, as there is no determined / approved medical treatment for stutters.

The only questions which worries me is that officer could question "why I avoided to attend IELTS Speaking, when there was a time when I obtained 7 score.

I hope you got me.

So if you all any ideas, suggestions, experience could you please share with me.

Am I on the right way?

Best,

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi Guys.

My active IELTS score is L-7.5, R-8, W-6.5, S-7. Last week I attended another test to improve my score.
However, I did worse than ever at IELTS examination due to stuttering. I couldn't say anything even my name, and I failed to properly describe my iPhone. Shame on me, I know. But you know stutters could have "bad" days and "good" days. I couldn't even name myself as a disable person because my impairment was not obstacle for me during my lifetime as I graduated with first from domestic university, then won a scholarship and went to the UK to do my master's. I have 7 years experience at EPC contracts in oil and gas industry and etc.
You might ask question "how you did well on Speaking in the previous assessment?" Well. There are probably a lot of factors. First of all, smiling examiner. Unfortunately, he left a town. Secondly, I had no any tension and pressure on that time and I was very confident during exam. The room where exam was held was also with lot of sunshine and peaceful atmosphere, while in the latest exam the room was dark and HVAC was very distractive. Probably, some of you aware that these all matters for stutters.

Now, I don't want to experience the same feelings (tension, pressure, stress because of fail and etc.) and emotions during pre and post exam. And I came up with the solution to apply for exemption in Speaking part. For this, I should provide Cambridge or Oxford with medical certificate with strong justification which I likely could do. And myTest Report Form will have the following statement printed on it:

‘Due to extreme speaking difficulties, this candidate was exempt from the Speaking test. The Speaking test Band Score has been notionalised on the basis of the average of the other three Band Scores.'
The same will be done on my Express Entry account as shown here:

And from here my main questions arise:
How health physician will assess my speech restriction during my medical examination for visa purposes?
In most cases, when there are no excitements, stress and pressure my impairment is mild, but not severe or markedly restricted.
I think, in the worst case, local health physician will report me as a mild stutter. Even though, if my medical condition at the time of medical examination will be severe, I believe that my costs will not be more than the cost threshold, which is $19,812 per year, as there is no determined / approved medical treatment for stutters.

The only questions which worries me is that officer could question "why I avoided to attend IELTS Speaking, when there was a time when I obtained 7 score.

I hope you got me.

So if you all any ideas, suggestions, experience could you please share with me.

Am I on the right way?

Best,
There is no test of speech in medical exam. And there is no way of visa officer knowing you scored 7 in speaking once since you won't submit those scores and they are not going to look at your IELTS scores history.

mulzi

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017
you should apply. write an LOE when you submit that you had a bad day for the second speaking test.

if CIC needs they might ask you to get additional medical or language test or conduct an interview... I dont think there should be anything that can stop you from your immigration as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
you should apply. write an LOE when you submit that you had a bad day for the second speaking test.

if CIC needs they might ask you to get additional medical or language test or conduct an interview... I dont think there should be anything that can stop you from your immigration as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements.
I don't think an LOE is necessary since there is no way that the IRCC case analyst will know or have access to previous IELTS attempts. On his latest IELTS exam, they will give him a speaking score that is the average of the other three bands (LRW) and they'll make a note of his disability. This will not negatively affect his eligibility or points.

So no need to worry, OP. Your application will be fine.

Reactions: ilusha

ilusha

Jan 18, 2017
I don't think an LOE is necessary since there is no way that the IRCC case analyst will know or have access to previous IELTS attempts. On his latest IELTS exam, they will give him a speaking score that is the average of the other three bands (LRW) and they'll make a note of his disability. This will not negatively affect his eligibility or points.

So no need to worry, OP. Your application will be fine.
Thank you guys for your quick reply. As cansha said that if there is no test of speech in medical exam, it means that only IELTS certificate will make it obvious that I have severe difficulties in speech, which does not shown on my medical exam report by designated health physician.

Does it mean that based only on this information shown on IELTS certificate officer could start an assessment process to define whether my impairment might cause an excessive demand on health or social services?

Yes. You are right. This will not affect my eligibility and points. But, I don't find myself in a crap due to my mild stuttering, which is getting severe during speaking exams. I hope this is nothing in front of Canadian values...

I am so worried all of these process.

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
I've already retaken the test and wasn't able to speak. I don't want to experience the same experience or similar to it...
I read on ielts website, it said in some cases the tests can be exempted. Have you tried for this exemption?

Reactions: ilusha and tobs

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Thank you guys for your quick reply. As cansha said that if there is no test of speech in medical exam, it means that only IELTS certificate will make it obvious that I have severe difficulties in speech, which does not shown on my medical exam report by designated health physician.

Does it mean that based only on this information shown on IELTS certificate officer could start an assessment process to define whether my impairment might cause an excessive demand on health or social services?

Yes. You are right. This will not affect my eligibility and points. But, I don't find myself in a crap due to my mild stuttering, which is getting severe during speaking exams. I hope this is nothing in front of Canadian values...

I am so worried all of these process.
There's no test of speech in the medical exam.
And your IELTS certificate doesn't matter beyond the fact that you get the required scores to boost your CRS points. That's the only reason a visa officer checks the IELTS certificates:to confume that you got the scores you claimed you did.
He/she doesn't check to know whether you did well in speaking or listening.
Your focus right now should be finding ways to improve your IELTS scores. There are practice materials on YouTube that'll help you.

An extra advice: during your next IELTS speaking exam, while introducing yourself, tell the examiner you stutter and you hope it won't affect the decision on whether you can speak the English language. Say it jokingly but firmly.
All the best.

ilusha

Jan 18, 2017
I read on ielts website, it said in some cases the tests can be exempted. Have you tried for this exemption?
I've found it out recently. And plan to apply for exemption. My Test Report Form will have the following statement printed on it:‘Due to extreme speaking difficulties, this candidate was exempt from the Speaking test. The Speaking test Band Score has been notionalised on the basis of the average of the other three Band Scores.'

And I am apprehensive about its possible negative effect on overall immigration process. As I said earlier I've attended IELTS examination several times. Even for Academic purposes when I had to apply for study. And my speaking score never was below 6.5. My valid IELTS GENERAL Speaking score is 7. On Monday, when I attended the test, I wanted to improve other bandscores. But failed on Speaking part due to severe difficulties in speech. Now, I am thinking about applying for exemption.

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
I've found it out recently. And plan to apply for exemption. My Test Report Form will have the following statement printed on it:‘Due to extreme speaking difficulties, this candidate was exempt from the Speaking test. The Speaking test Band Score has been notionalised on the basis of the average of the other three Band Scores.'

And I am apprehensive about its possible negative effect on overall immigration process. As I said earlier I've attended IELTS examination several times. Even for Academic purposes when I had to apply for study. And my speaking score never was below 6.5. My valid IELTS GENERAL Speaking score is 7. On Monday, when I attended the test, I wanted to improve other bandscores. But failed on Speaking part due to severe difficulties in speech. Now, I am thinking about applying for exemption.

I doubt it will have any negative effect because averaging of scores has been allowed by CIC themselves

ilusha

Jan 18, 2017
Hi Guys,
I've got my recent IELTS results L-8, R-7,5, W-7 and S-7,5.
Speaking was notionalised on the basis of the average of the other three Band Scores.
There is also note on my IELTS certificate that "due to severe speaking difficulties this candidate was exempted from Speaking, and his Speaking score was averaged based on the other three Band scores.

Now, I got my TRF which boost my score up to 464, and I have not yet updated my EE profile.

Reactions: hodari