+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration to Quebec and Living somewhere else in Canada

Thair

Aug 25, 2016
Dear All,

I have applied from immigration to Quebec as a Syrian refuge under "private sponsorship program".
I know for the fact that I have to land in Quebec once my application is accepted but DO I NEED to Live there? this is the question.

can I move next day of landing to another stat in Canada?

Please advise

rachbay

Aug 22, 2016
Thair said:
Dear All,

I have applied from immigration to Quebec as a Syrian refuge under "private sponsorship program".
I know for the fact that I have to land in Quebec once my application is accepted but DO I NEED to Live there? this is the question.

can I move next day of landing to another stat in Canada?

Please advise
You can but it is very dangerous to do. The safest way is to move after 1 year. That's after your sponsor has paid your monthly allowance for 1 year.

Thair

Aug 25, 2016
rachbay said:
You can but it is very dangerous to do. The safest way is to move after 1 year. That's after your sponsor has paid your monthly allowance for 1 year.
I asked the agent who is handling my application. He said , no issue , you can open an account in Quebec, notify the sponsor on this account to deposit the monthly allowance, and then move wherever you want in Canada.

As per your response, it's very dangerous. May I know how did you arrive to this conclusion? what is your experience on this subject?

rachbay

Aug 22, 2016
Canada is a free country. By the law you can live anywhere you want. BUT you were selected by Quebec as a refugee. Quebec refugee laws are totally different than the Federal laws.

My agent also told me the same like you. But privately sponsored refugee category is still new. So your agent and mine might not know everything about it as they usually handle the cases of ordinary skilled immigrants, not refugees or even privately sponsored refugees.

When you land in Quebec you will sign an undertaking of commitment to stay in Quebec. Also, when you apply for citizenship they will examine all of your history in Canada for the previous years. You will never know what they will think about this.

Whatsoever

Jul 24, 2016
Actually you can go anywhere, however your sponsor has the right to stop supporting you. This is as per cic website. If the sponsor agreed to keep supporting you while you go somewhere else, then no issues.
Regarding citizenship, I don't know but I don't think leaving Quebec is considered negative. For example if you didn't find a job in Montreal while you are getting job offers in Toronto or any other place, then is it bad to accept the offer?? Doesn't make sense and no reason to considered that as bad thing.

Again the only issue is the sponsor who "can" stop supporting you.

Good luck with your application!

rachbay

Aug 22, 2016
Whatsoever said:
Actually you can go anywhere, however your sponsor has the right to stop supporting you. This is as per cic website. If the sponsor agreed to keep supporting you while you go somewhere else, then no issues.
Regarding citizenship, I don't know but I don't think leaving Quebec is considered negative. For example if you didn't find a job in Montreal while you are getting job offers in Toronto or any other place, then is it bad to accept the offer?? Doesn't make sense and no reason to considered that as bad thing.

Again the only issue is the sponsor who "can" stop supporting you.

Good luck with your application!
He said he wants to leave Montreal the next day he lands, not after staying for some time and looking for a job. Is that acceptable (with regards to the citizenship application)? What about the PR Card? I have read somewhere that one first needs to receive their PR Card and prepare whatever documents necessary. Only then they can move "safely" to any other place they want. What is your idea about that?

Again, my only concern is the citizenship application. I'm afraid leaving Quebec immediately might be considered as a breach to his commitment towards Quebec, which selected him in the first place.