+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration to Canada with my ex and my child. Never married.

CliffPinto

Dec 24, 2019
Hi everyone.

So we have a very unique situation where we in a relationship, had a child out of wedlock, and decided to split up as we were more friends than lovers.

We are very amicable and I see my child 3 times a week, we go away on holidays together etc, and we've decided we need to give our child a better opportunity in life, that she won't get in South Africa, based in the colour of her skin. We were never married, but have concluded we are both prepared to leave our lives behind and try start a new life in Canada. It may even be a situation of us living together, or maybe not. It's indecisive at the moment.

What I'm looking to find out is if it is possible to emigrate to Canada, with my child and my ex as dependents, without having to be married?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You could include your child as a dependent. Your ex wife would need to qualify on her own. Attempting to include her as a family class dependant would be misrepresentation at this point.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
he would have to qualify as a common law (living together for more than 1 year). other than that and marrying him, there is no other option for you to add him to your application (and same would go for him). As for the child, that one would need the consent of the other parent that he / she is aware and approves it. Otherwise you would have to have a sole custody in order not to need that one.