+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration through study under Bill C-6

ydaniel98

Aug 20, 2017
Hello,

I recently turned 18 and I finally have the full range of options to go back to Canada. From all my research I found that one of the easiest ways is to go to university in Canada, which is reasonable since I should be thinking of advancing my education anyways (I thinking of going to Halifax). I am also trying to plan for the long-term and do the things that can lead to the fastest path to citizenship.

Does anyone have any tips on what I should do (from the perspective of already having a study permit)? Or perhaps information on how to best proceed after graduation.

Thanks.

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

I recently turned 18 and I finally have the full range of options to go back to Canada. I'm in a bit of an odd situation since I'm Canadian... Just not on the legal side of things (I wasn't born in Canada + a bit of a long story I'd rather not get into). From all my research I found that one of the easiest ways is to go to university in Canada, which is reasonable since I should be thinking of advancing my education anyways (I thinking of going to Halifax). I am also trying to plan for the long-term and do the things that can lead to the fastest path to citizenship.

Does anyone have any tips on what I should do (from the perspective of already having a study permit)? Or perhaps information on how to best proceed after graduation.

Thanks.
1. You are either a Canadian citizen or your not. If you are a citizen, you don't require a study permit, and why would you want a path to citizenship if you are already one? Your post makes absolutely no sense.

ydaniel98

Aug 20, 2017
Hi

1. You are either a Canadian citizen or your not. If you are a citizen, you don't require a study permit, and why would you want a path to citizenship if you are already one? Your post makes absolutely no sense.
I apologize, I think adding that was a mistake. I do not have citizenship. That's what I meant by not 'on the legal side'. I edited my post. Should be more clear now.

Last edited:

ydaniel98

Aug 20, 2017
That's funny... it's like saying I am someone's husband but she has no idea she is my wife
Well, I guess what I meant is that I'm ethnically Canadian. I don't know why I included that, just felt like I had to I guess.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well, I guess what I meant is that I'm ethnically Canadian. I don't know why I included that, just felt like I had to I guess.
So if you are 'ethnically Canadian' have you exhausted all avenues to determine if you are in fact Canadian through birth say born to a Canadian parent outside Canada. Just asking and fine if you dont want to share your situation on a public forum.

As for study in Canada for a few years at a University maybe first share your profile, education level, English Language level (IELTS), long term career goals in your current home country based on the course you plan to take, plus of course your ability to pay significant international student fees. Then at least someone can judge if you will get a study permit or not for a start.

If you get a study permit attend Uni for 3/4 years then you can get a PGWP for 3 years, get a good job classified as NOC 0,A or B.

At some point in that time with work experience gained whilst on a PGWP apply for PR and become a PR then meet the upcoming change to physical presence of 3 out 5 years in Canada to apply for citzenship. Best case 2 years after becoming a PR with 1 year credit for PGWP and/or study.

Obviously the above is a simplistic view, there are a lot of forms to fill in, a lot of waiting for approvals and a few years to get where you want to be, plus a lot of luck as well. Worst case maybe an 8 -9 year plan given Uni, PGWP plus the minimum physical presence as a PR before even applying for citizenship, then there is the processing time.

Your whole plan towards citizenship would revolve around the timing when you can become a PR

Above is a personal view so others may comment or disagree or even have different views.

Last edited:
Reactions: vancouverbc2013

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013
So if you are 'ethnically Canadian' have you exhausted all avenues to determine if you are in fact Canadian through birth say born to a Canadian parent outside Canada. Just asking and fine if you dont want to share your situation on a public forum.

As for study in Canada for a few years at a University maybe first share your profile, education level, English Language level (IELTS), long term career goals in your current home country based on the course you plan to take, plus of course your ability to pay significant international student fees. Then at least someone can judge if you will get a study permit or not for a start.

If you get a study permit attend Uni for 3/4 years then you can get a PGWP for 3 years, get a good job classified as NOC 0,A or B.

At some point in that time with work experience gained whilst on a PGWP apply for PR and become a PR then meet the upcoming change to physical presence of 3 out 5 years in Canada to apply for citzenship. Best case 2 years after becoming a PR with 1 year credit for PGWP and/or study.

Obviously the above is a simplistic view, there are a lot of forms to fill in, a lot of waiting for approvals and a few years to get where you want to be, plus a lot of luck as well. Worst case maybe an 8 -9 year plan given Uni, PGWP plus the minimum physical presence as a PR before even applying for citizenship, then there is the processing time.

Your whole plan towards citizenship would revolve around the timing when you can become a PR

Above is a personal view so others may comment or disagree or even have different views.
Completely agree. Just to add a small bit from my own experience, once graduated and worked there is no guarantee/straight path from that to PR.
Depending on your level of work you may need the company to sponsor you.. (become a slave).
It used to be very easy unfortunately. Things have been getting tougher by the day and I imagine I will keep going this way.

Good luck

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Never heard of being "ethnically Canadian " ... what does that even mean? Since when is Canada an ethnic term?

ydaniel98

Aug 20, 2017

Thanks, I had a shorter timeline in mind, but I guess it is what it is. Also, is leaving Canada after applying for citizenship allowed or is staying in Canada during processing a requirement? I want to live in Germany for a year and figured that the best time is after I meet the requirements for physical presence and apply for citizenship.

ydaniel98

Aug 20, 2017
Never heard of being "ethnically Canadian " ... what does that even mean? Since when is Canada an ethnic term?
I've only heard of it once. I personally consider being part of a nation (national identity) and citizenship to be separate, hence my wording. But it was clearly irrelevant to this thread and my wording just made it worst.

I do of course understand that that is irrelevant to any sort of application or process regarding immigration.

Last edited:

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
There is no fast way to citizenship. You have to take it one step at a time.
If you currently hold a foreign passport, you have to first come to Canada either on a study or work permit.

If you are choosing the study permit option, you have to apply to universities and get accepted. Once you have that, you have to show proof of funds for living costs and international tuition before you get your VISA to come into the country and get study permit.
Assuming you do all that, you have to go through 4 years of university and graduate. You cannot apply for PR as a student, you do not have the qualification to do so. After graduation, you get Post graduate work permit for 3 years. This will allow you to stay in Canada and find relevant work in certain fields. After a year or two of accumulated work experience, you can use that to apply for PR. Once you get that, you have to show 4 years of residency after obtaining PR (C6 lowers that to 2 years after PR and 2 before in the last 5 years). Once you get all this done, you are eligible to apply and it will take you upto a year from that point to get citizenship.
Overall, at least 7-8 years from where you are now but likely more and rules and laws can change between now and then. I came to Canada 10 years ago on a study permit and still do not have citizenship after living here continuously for the entire time!

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
The term 'ethnically Canadian" this made me laugh too :)

Canada has become a multicultural country, and its a great Strength for us. I know some of my Punjabi, East Indian, Chinese friends who are now 3rd or 4rth generation born in Canada.

On a serious note, regardless of your background or ethnicity, please consult with a lawyer or check the relevant school / university you are planning to Join and they can provide you with valuable information.

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
Focus on picking the right career first. Immigration rules change all the time. What Bs65 outlined is what the process looks like today, but it could change in the future. The path described takes at least 7 years under even Bill C-6 when it goes into full effect from Student Status to Citizenship. Focus on building a good career and life in Canada, and the rest will fall into place.

Halifax is a beautiful city, and the entire Maritimes (PEI, NB, NS, NL) area is a nice place to live. The job market there can be a little tough however depending on your field. Also, be prepared for very heavy snowfall dumps in winter.