+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Questions, help needed

Ali25

Jan 17, 2007
Hi.
I applied for Permanent Canadian Residency (skilled worker class) through Damascus office early in 2003. Finally I received a letter indicating that I have been waived the interview and asking for updated forms, and proof of funds, etc in November 2007. I sent the documents right away.
While I know that I must be expecting my medical exams to start soon, I may have a good opportunity to study a PhD program in the UK starting in early 2007.
I am now facing some questions and I would appreciate if anyone could kindly help me:

1) If I go to the UK while my immigration visa is in process, what will happen when it is issued? Can I collect my visa at Canadian Embassy in London, or will I have to travel to Damascus to submit passports in person? As far as I know, passports can not be sent via DHL.

2) If I land in Canada after I get my visa, can I leave Canada for the UK for continuing my PhD program and then return to Canada 3 years later? Will I have to fill any forms when I leave?

3) In the final process of issuing immigration visa, I know that I will be asked to open a bank account in Canada and transfer my settlement fees there. I would appreciate if you could tell me how I can do this while I can not travel to Canada? I have a couple of friends there.

Thanks in advance

Ali

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ali25 said:
Hi.
I applied for Permanent Canadian Residency (skilled worker class) through Damascus office early in 2003. Finally I received a letter indicating that I have been waived the interview and asking for updated forms, and proof of funds, etc in November 2007. I sent the documents right away.
While I know that I must be expecting my medical exams to start soon, I may have a good opportunity to study a PhD program in the UK starting in early 2007.
I am now facing some questions and I would appreciate if anyone could kindly help me:

1) If I go to the UK while my immigration visa is in process, what will happen when it is issued? Can I collect my visa at Canadian Embassy in London, or will I have to travel to Damascus to submit passports in person? As far as I know, passports can not be sent via DHL.

No, you have to obtain your COPRs from Damascus.

2) If I land in Canada after I get my visa, can I leave Canada for the UK for continuing my PhD program and then return to Canada 3 years later? Will I have to fill any forms when I leave?

No forms to complete, but you will need your PR Card to return, which takes 30 days to process, or you would require a Travel Document to return on commercial transportation. Also you have to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period.

3) In the final process of issuing immigration visa, I know that I will be asked to open a bank account in Canada and transfer my settlement fees there. I would appreciate if you could tell me how I can do this while I can not travel to Canada? I have a couple of friends there.

Most people seem to have good luck using HSBC for opening accounts in Canada from overseas.

Thanks in advance

Ali

Ali25

Jan 17, 2007
hammadsanaa said:
Hi Ali,
Please share with us the details of your case and how did you get waived the interview?
All the Best,
Hammad
Hi Hammad,

I applied when the pass mark was so higher at 75. My score was at 75 and I had provided IELTS scores. All my documents were valid and complete and neatly classified. I suppose the current policy is to waive interviews.

Ali

G

Ghareb

Hi
First Congratulations then I why not trying to find a scholarship to study in Canada, it is v. easy to do this when you have the PR visa. This makes your life easier. To my knowledge your situation will be difficult if you are in UK after you receive your PR visa because you will loose your PR status if you live outside Canada for more than 6 months (Check the CIC website to see the exact length of time).
Regards
Ghareb

Ali25

Jan 17, 2007
Dear PMM,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I searched the internet for CORPs but I did not get much. Could you please tell me what you meant by CORPs? Why isn't it possible that they send the visa from Damascus to London?

Dear Ghareb,
Thanks for your advice. As far as I know one can get loans from Canadian government,...
In addition, one can live 2 years in every 5 years to retain his/her PR status. This is overtly declared in CIC website and PMM also underlined this.

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ali25 said:
Dear PMM,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I searched the internet for CORPs but I did not get much. Could you please tell me what you meant by CORPs? Why isn't it possible that they send the visa from Damascus to London?

Dear Ghareb,
Thanks for your advice. As far as I know one can get loans from Canadian government,...
In addition, one can live 2 years in every 5 years to retain his/her PR status. This is overtly declared in CIC website and PMM also underlined this.

Thanks
Confirmation of Permanent Resident. COPR
CHC will not transfer "passport stamping' nor interviews between offices. You apply at an office, and unless the file is transferred to you only deal with that office.

PMM