+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration photos

ash2009

Aug 23, 2009
Hi

ok i feel stupid asking this but i dont know who else to ask :)

I went to a place where i usually do my passport photos. The lady took a look at the photo specs and stated that its pretty much the same as my passport photos. I argued a bit about how the form says its not, but she took the photo and it did fit the size requirement fine. They are the exact same size as my passport photos (irish) tho.
Ive also noticed that the background is a bit light grayish. Although i stood in front of a white background in the shop, it just doesnt seem to have turned out very white in the photo.
If i sent these off in my application and cic werent happy, what would happen? Does the background need to be very white? Also are Canadian immigration photos very different from passport photos in ALL countries?

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Ah, but this is the best place to ask such a thing :)

When my husband went to take his picture for a Canadian passport, it was about twice the size of immigration photos. I guess that's why they write that warning there, because passport pictures in Canada are a lot different.
When I went to get my picture taken for immigration, it was exactly the same as I would need for a Slovenian passport, except the background had to be white instead of the traditional blue. The background on mine turned out white though, not grey.

If it's a little grayish, I think it should be ok. If it's gray, it won't. If you send them and they won't be ok, one of the two will happen: Mississauga will return your app to you and ask for new pictures OR the visa office will send you a request for more photos. So it's not a disaster that will get you rejected, but it would delay your application.

JamesM

Star Member
Feb 4, 2009
Job Offer........
Haha, yup. I got mine done a few hours before I was leaving back to Dublin. I was about to freak out when I realized the photos I was given were the same size as my passport photograph. But they fit the required sized box perfectly and my wife informed me they were a different size then Canadian passport photos.

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The US passport photos are bigger than the Canadian passport photos. I was advised to get US size and the pics were sized down for the application.

Sep 22, 2009
I purchased photos which were sized for U.S. passports and then cut them down myself at home. Appendix B in the country-specific information for the U.S. gives the dimensions. However, the diagram it shows does *not* match the stated dimensions, at least on my printout. I used the stated dimensions as a guide.