Med's Done....
March-26-2013
Interview........
August-12-2014 (passed)
Passport Req..
September-24-2014
VISA ISSUED...
October-03-2014
Immigration Minister Chris Alexander promises lower wait times, fewer backlogs in 2014

www.o.canada.com/news/national/immigration-minister-chris-alexander-promises-lower-wait-times-fewer-backlogs-in-2014/

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Immigration ministers always say this every year, like a broken record.

I would basically ignore any such broad "promises" a politician makes like this. Believe it only if/when lots of new VOs are actually hired to process apps, new visa offices are opened instead of closed down, and wait times are actually decreased.

dozel

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa --> LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-30-2013
AOR Received.
June-03-2013
Med's Done....
March-26-2013
Interview........
August-12-2014 (passed)
Passport Req..
September-24-2014
VISA ISSUED...
October-03-2014
Rob_TO said:
Immigration ministers always say this every year, like a broken record.

I would basically ignore any such broad "promises" a politician makes like this. Believe it only if/when lots of new VOs are actually hired to process apps, new visa offices are opened instead of closed down, and wait times are actually decreased.
I agree. Signing a petition is one way to urge them to improve the process.

M

mikeymyke

They usually just focus on the economic, skilled workers, not really so much about family class.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dozel said:
I agree. Signing a petition is one way to urge them to improve the process.
Unfortunately, 99.9% of the times petitions do absolutely nothing.

Family sponsorship will never be an important issue to the government, since only a very small minority of the voting public actually go through the process. To the vast majority of Canadians who never have to deal with immigration issues, they really don't care if wait times are 6 months or 24 months since it doesn't impact them. So the government will not put lots of money/resources into it. They will only make drastic changes if it becomes a key voting issue to more Canadians.

M

mikeymyke

Yes and on the other hand, skilled and economic workers deal with labour shortages, skill gaps, etc, which are issues that most impact Canadians, so these are given higher priority. At least you should be happy you're not going through the Parent Sponsorship route, because that's an even less of a priority for the government.

Aging, most likely unable to work and pay taxes, likely to require health care and social services, they're considered a drain on the system, hence why there's now a cap on the # of applications per year, higher income requirements, etc.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
mikeymyke said:
Yes and on the other hand, skilled and economic workers deal with labour shortages, skill gaps, etc, which are issues that most impact Canadians, so these are given higher priority.
Only business and few Canadians who can see long term understand this. Vast majority of Canadians on all sides of the political spectrum just see skilled immigrants as people potentially stealing their jobs. The average Canadian will not think there is any labour shortage or skills gap - especially if they are unemployed of feel underpaid.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mikeymyke said:
They usually just focus on the economic, skilled workers, not really so much about family class.
FWIW, wait times for skilled workers are significantly greater than those for family class. The 2013 data show that skilled worker apps on average took 48 months* vs. 17** months for family class (for 80% of applications in both cases).

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp to compare wait times for the breakdown by VO/application period.

---
* Simple average across Ministerial Order application periods and Visa Offices.
** Added 1 month to the average to account for step 1, currently reported as taking 27 days.

dozel

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa --> LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-30-2013
AOR Received.
June-03-2013
Med's Done....
March-26-2013
Interview........
August-12-2014 (passed)
Passport Req..
September-24-2014
VISA ISSUED...
October-03-2014
Because family union is more important.

soon2b

Oct 15, 2013
These politicians will always say whatever they want but the reality on the ground sees little to no changes.
This conservative govt claims that family reunions are given priority over other groups but those who go through the process don't see that claim at all.

Do they realize that most of these Canadians who are sponsoring their families have an option of chosing to leave the country so that they can live with their loved ones, rich or poor? Would that situation do any good to the Canadian economy? They spent a lot of resources recruiting people who may be forced leave the country again. Pathetic!
This is real. I had a friend who had to quit his job (Nuclear Medicine), sold his house and left the country after getting frustrated with Immigration Canada while trying to sponsor family. Although it may be uncommon, it is another reality that is out there.

agarand8

Aug 21, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
10-06-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014...#2 - 10-06-2014
File Transfer...
22-05-2014
Med's Request
Additional tests requested on 05-06-2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 2014 & August 5th 2014
Interview........
24-FEB-2015
Passport Req..
24-MAR-2015...received at VO 6-APR-2015
soon2b said:
These politicians will always say whatever they want but the reality on the ground sees little to no changes.
This conservative govt claims that family reunions are given priority over other groups but those who go through the process don't see that claim at all.

Do they realize that most of these Canadians who are sponsoring their families have an option of chosing to leave the country so that they can live with their loved ones, rich or poor? Would that situation do any good to the Canadian economy? They spent a lot of resources recruiting people who may be forced leave the country again. Pathetic!
This is real. I had a friend who had to quit his job (Nuclear Medicine), sold his house and left the country after getting frustrated with Immigration Canada while trying to sponsor family. Although it may be uncommon, it is another reality that is out there.
My original plan was to live down in Costa Rica with Gerald, financially it doesn't make sense to do that. But Costa Ricans can travel in europe with only a passport and stay in each country for up to 3 months without a visa. I considered going to Europe with him and country hopping until we could get residency in spain, I was just starting to think I should look into it but then I got pregnant and country hopping with a newborn wouldn't be as much fun I don't think. lol Right now we've got our hearts set on living in Canada but we'll see.... if stuff doesn't go as smoothly as I'm hoping it will Spain might be a nice alternative. At least that way we could be together.