+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Lawyers...

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
Can anyone tell me how much it cost for your lawyers, if you used any,
and how complicated was your case?

summary:
my brother wants to bring his gf to canada and he wants her here right away (so no outland)...
so we need assistance for her visa application and pr application from inside canada after they get married...

she recently divorced her husband.

thanks.

Dayanara

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
Brampton, ON
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
13-07-2010
AOR Received.
07-09-2010
File Transfer...
16-08-2010
Med's Done....
20-05-2010
Passport Req..
30-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-10-2010
LANDED..........
07-10-2010
My lawyer costs $2500 and our case is not complicated at all I don't think, we just did not want to forget anything or fill anything out wrong. We met online on a video game (World of Warcraft) a few years back, dated really long distance for a while, then he moved to Buffalo to be closer to me, we got engaged a few months later, and then married a little over a year later. Neither of us had been married prior and no legal issues with either of us.

She has been really helpful in putting together our file, recommended a few things here and there that we would have not thought about and made our forms air tight for timelines (my husband moved around A LOT since he was 18 and has had dozens of jobs and schooling) and any information.

We used money we got from our wedding to help pay for her, or else we probably would have done it on our own probably, because it is a tad pricey. But I am glad in the end we are going with one, no worries that we forgot anything. She specializes in immigrations so knows the ins and outs of it so it does come in handy.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Vonster: what country is the girlfriend from? And what about the case seems complicated to you, apart from the fact she is divorced?
This kind of information makes a difference in whether you even need a lawyer. Complicated cases also cost more, if you do get a lawyer.

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
I am indonesian and both my brother and his "internet" girlfriend are also indonesian.

I just think it may be complicated because their relationship started in 2008 and they met for the first time in 2009 for 3 months...but she was still married at that time...
she couldn't get a divorce because she was afraid of her husband then..she never tried to contact him for anything...

Right now we're trying to decide to apply inland or outland...it would be longer inland but the cost would be half...since my brother would have to go back home, stay in indo and get married there that would cost him about 5000 plus he would have to invite all of our "huge" family there...

but if she comes here on trv and get married here, he only needs to buy her ticket and the wedding will be small, attended by our family only...

thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It might be hard to get her a TRV. To get one, she will have to prove to the visa officer that she plans to leave Canada before her visa expires. If she has a job or is going to school, she should show proof of this and that she has a leave of absence. If she is renting a house or apartment, she should show her lease. Any proof that she has paid for the apartment past her expected date of return from Canada is good; as is proof she has paid for classes that start after the date she is supposed to come back. If she has a child and leaves him behind with the grandparents, this is also good evidence she will return to Indonesia.

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
She is coming to Canada as a friend of mine and because they are not legally common-law, we would state her status as single and her intention is just to visit and travel. I will send her the invitation letter as well.

She has contract employment as a school teacher and she does have lease contract for her rental apartment.

We haven't talked to a lawyer yet but hopefully they can advise us what to do and what is best...
thanks again.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
vonster said:
She is coming to Canada as a friend of mine and because they are not legally common-law, we would state her status as single and her intention is just to visit and travel. I will send her the invitation letter as well.

She has contract employment as a school teacher and she does have lease contract for her rental apartment.
Definitely include the employment contract and lease in the TRV application.