+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Lawyer

NdiBelle

Aug 20, 2023
Am a refugee claimant and I have been in Canada for two weeks. I called legal aid and l was eligible so they asked me to look for a lawyer but I don’t have any and the ones the gave me l have been calling to no avail . Please can someone recommend a lawyer to me? Preferably black in North York. It seems getting in touch with a lawyer here is not easy

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Am a refugee claimant and I have been in Canada for two weeks. I called legal aid and l was eligible so they asked me to look for a lawyer but I don’t have any and the ones the gave me l have been calling to no avail . Please can someone recommend a lawyer to me? Preferably black in North York. It seems getting in touch with a lawyer here is not easy
I think you need a lawyer, not BLACK lawyer... It doesnt really matter here. You can google Immigration Lawyers around your location and you should be able to make a phone call

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Genuinely curious how you were able to get a TRV without proof of funds from what looks like Cameroon. To qualify for legal aid you would have had to show that you don’t have savings to hire your own lawyer. Genuinely curious to see if people claiming asylum have been able to secure a TRV within weeks and without proof of significant savings and ties to their home country like property ownership, longterm good employment, etc. There has been clearly a change in approval process by IRCC but genuinely curious to see how easy it is now to get a TRV when it used to be incredibly difficult from many African countries and often required manual review.

In terms of lawyers accepting legal aid in the GTA given the volume of asylum seekers in the past few years it may take some time to find a lawyer who is available and taking legal aid. Keep calling around and you will eventually find one.