+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Lawyer FSWP Complaint to Law Socety Disappointed

thrakos

May 15, 2012
Hello everyone
I referred a family member to an immigration lawyer XYZ in Montreal well known for immigration applications under the Federal Skilled Worker FSW program. Money was transferred to me and I paid directly to lawyer XYZ XYZ failed to submit the application on time. The FSWP closed .. FULL 300 .. and the lawyer suggest that we continue paying him for next year application … so we refused and requested refund since we submitted the information the XYZ lawyer requested at least 2 months before cap of FSWP with IELTS 7.

Immigration Lawyer refused to refund. Stopped responding to email and the secretary was taking all the calls abd blame for the lawyer delays she also admitted common practice of immigration lawyer. XYZ never return our call. We complaint to law society who intern called us back after 2 weeks of “investigating” our complaint and advised us to go to small claim court… what chance do we stand in small claim against immigration lawyer?

Next application will be through a local office and with a well-reviewed contract. READ before you sign anything.

Disappointed  :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would recommend that you file the application yourself next time. You don't need a lawyer.

thrakos

May 15, 2012
Thank you for the advice. 8)

Under different circumstances we can do it ourselves if we take the time and do homework yet in our case:

- time not permitting
- knowledge in FSWP very basic
- we do not want to make mistakes
- we want to submit application in 3 weeks since all supporting documents are available including education credential assessment and IELTS

What we wished for and what happened are completely different

At this point:
- we cannot even send our own application
- we are out over $2000 in immigration lawyer and other expenses
- In the middle of a dispute that is very time consuming and tiring
- stress
- upset family since I recommended the immigration lawyer to them

maybe you are having a better day :'(

Andy007

Oct 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there are many forums here that have lot of knowledge and information, next time take advice from people who are active and don't involve consultants

thrakos

May 15, 2012
Andy007 said:
there are many forums here that have lot of knowledge and information, next time take advice from people who are active and don't involve consultants
We did not hire a consultant I hired an immigration lawyer IL a member of law society. I should have hired a consultant maybe would have had better luck talking to him in person when we had inquiry.

What happened is that the IL assigned the case to a staff member whom she was not lawyer or ICCRC and who was in charge of our case. We had to communicate with her and not with the lawyer we paid. Most of the time she did not know what she is talking about and we had to wait until she consulted the lawyer on our behalf. this was very frustrating.

When we asked to speak to the lawyer they refuse to do so stating he ahs no time for us. Well why did he take our money in the first place if he had no time for this?

Thanks for the advice Andy ... will consider all options from now on
:eek: