8-11-2010
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2011
Hello all:

I have a question about sponsoring my wife. I got my Permanent Residence in Canada on Oct07. But, I never moved to Canada and remained in US since then. But I'm planning to move to Canada early next year as my PR would end in Oct 10 (as I think I need to stay in Canada for atleast 2 years out of 5-year period)

I would like to know:
1. Whether I can sponsor my wife for PR in Canada while I'm US before I move to Canada?
2. If I cannot sponsor my wife while in US, do I need to be there in Canada? If so, what is the procedure to do that? My wife is here on H4 (Dependent) visa right now.
3. How would my wife go to Canada if I have to move there and apply for her PR-Canada? If it is visitor visa, do they object at border considering that I'm a PR?

I would really apprecaite if you can help me out in this..

Regards

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. No, as a PR you must reside in Canada to sponsor your wife.
2. She can apply for a visitor's visa at an embassy in the US if she has been legally admitted to the US for one year.
3. If she has a visitor's visa, they won't object. However, you will have to satisfy the embassy when applying that she will leave when her visa expires.

TRV's are hard to get for spouses of PR's or citizens while applications are in process. It's an uphill battle.

Let me ask you, did you ever LAND in Canada? If yes, did you get married before or after you landed? If you married before you landed in Canada and you did not advise CIC or CBSA of the change to your marital status, you will not be able to sponsor you wife as she will be excluded from the family class.

bhupinder78

Oct 16, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Dehli
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
13-12-2010
Med's Done....
8-11-2010
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2011
Thanks rjessome for your reply

I got married after landing in Canada but I havent notified them yet. Can you tell me how to do so if I need to do it now.

So, what I understand from above is that I can take my wife to Canada through a Visitor's visa and then apply for her PR application. Also, I have read from posts that when I go to Canada, I should apply PR application as well as Work permit for my wife ?

Do they keep on renewing the TRV till the PR application is complete?

Thanks in advance..

bhupinder78

Oct 16, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Dehli
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
13-12-2010
Med's Done....
8-11-2010
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2011
rjessome said:
1. No, as a PR you must reside in Canada to sponsor your wife.
2. She can apply for a visitor's visa at an embassy in the US if she has been legally admitted to the US for one year.
3. If she has a visitor's visa, they won't object. However, you will have to satisfy the embassy when applying that she will leave when her visa expires.

TRV's are hard to get for spouses of PR's or citizens while applications are in process. It's an uphill battle.

Let me ask you, did you ever LAND in Canada? If yes, did you get married before or after you landed? If you married before you landed in Canada and you did not advise CIC or CBSA of the change to your marital status, you will not be able to sponsor you wife as she will be excluded from the family class.
Thanks rjessome for your reply

I got married after landing in Canada but I havent notified them yet. Can you tell me how to do so if I need to do it now.

So, what I understand from above is that I can take my wife to Canada through a Visitor's visa and then apply for her PR application. Also, I have read from posts that when I go to Canada, I should apply PR application as well as Work permit for my wife ?

Do they keep on renewing the TRV till the PR application is complete?

Thanks in advance..

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, since you got married after you landed, you don't need to tell them. You will be telling them anyway by applying to sponsor her.

Your wife needs to apply for the TRV first at the embassy in the US as long as she has been legally admitted there which you have already indicated she has. Here is the link to the application forms for this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

Are you applying for her PR inland or outland? If you are applying inland, she can complete an application for an Open Work Permit with the PR application and if she receives first stage approval, a work permit will be issued. This is not available to outland applications.

You need to study the differences in the applications (inland vs. outland) to decide which route is best for you.

NO, they do not keep renewing the TRV automatically. If it is expiring and no decision has been made yet, she must apply to extend it.