+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Consultant or DIY ?

ibtee

Aug 26, 2018
Calgary
Hi Guys,

I work in the oil field. My friends had been recommending me to start express entry for many years but I didn't have the time or the motivation to start the process. I concluded I need to do something different; how you may ask? I made upfront payment of 7800 AED to one of the immigration consultants in UAE for entire process (August 2018). My reasoning for this was that by investing such an amount of money, I'll finally have the necessary motivation (or fear of loss of money) to kick start my ambitions. I'm earning very well and this has stopped me from ever considering immigration but things have changed now. Anyways, coming back to my point, this method worked for me. I got really motivated and started gathering stuff for spousal application in EE and have already submitted documents for WES (For myself & Spouse) and achieved CLB 10 in all modules of IELTS in my second attempt. First attempt, I got CLB 9 in two modules and CLB 10 in the other two. Now I'm just waiting for my wife's IELTS and our WES evaluation reports.

However, during these last two months while I was doing this stuff, I realized that this immigration consultancy is either misinformed, misguided, incompetant or indifferent to my cause. Time and again, I felt disappointed and had to research this forum for information rather than them telling me. Now I confronted them and their management has said that they'll clean up their act from now on (and this time I truly believe they will). Even though the contract says that no amount is refundable, I got their management to agree to refund 4500 out of 7800 AED.

Your suggestions will help me decide. Do you think I should do this remaining process on my own or continue with these guys for the rest of the process? I believe it's not really lost money since this acted as catalyst for me to get around to get to this process which I wasn't for at least three years.

pizzaboy99

Apr 3, 2018
You seem to be able to research and find out answers yourself. I'd recommend DIY as the process is really simple.

Immigration consultant/lawyer is recommended for people who simply do not have the ability to do basic Googling or are just way too busy for it. And then also, immigration consultant/lawyer should be an accredited one based in Canada.

Reactions: ibtee

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi Guys,

I work in the oil field. My friends had been recommending me to start express entry for many years but I didn't have the time or the motivation to start the process. I concluded I need to do something different; how you may ask? I made upfront payment of 7800 AED to one of the immigration consultants in UAE for entire process (August 2018). My reasoning for this was that by investing such an amount of money, I'll finally have the necessary motivation (or fear of loss of money) to kick start my ambitions. I'm earning very well and this has stopped me from ever considering immigration but things have changed now. Anyways, coming back to my point, this method worked for me. I got really motivated and started gathering stuff for spousal application in EE and have already submitted documents for WES (For myself & Spouse) and achieved CLB 10 in all modules of IELTS in my second attempt. First attempt, I got CLB 9 in two modules and CLB 10 in the other two. Now I'm just waiting for my wife's IELTS and our WES evaluation reports.

However, during these last two months while I was doing this stuff, I realized that this immigration consultancy is either misinformed, misguided, incompetant or indifferent to my cause. Time and again, I felt disappointed and had to research this forum for information rather than them telling me. Now I confronted them and their management has said that they'll clean up their act from now on (and this time I truly believe they will). Even though the contract says that no amount is refundable, I got their management to agree to refund 4500 out of 7800 AED.

Your suggestions will help me decide. Do you think I should do this remaining process on my own or continue with these guys for the rest of the process? I believe it's not really lost money since this acted as catalyst for me to get around to get to this process which I wasn't for at least three years.
No one can make that call but you. But the process is well documented and as you have already used the forum you know you can get answers to almost every question. Question is can you spend enough time and energy in researching and figuring out things. If the answer is yes you can DIY.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi Guys,

I do understand the fact that you need motivation, and that kind of fear of losing money. But here is my opinion, and my opinion only.

No consultant on the planet will ever take your case at heart just like it was his or her own. Sure they have plenty of cases.
But thing is, when it comes to Express Entry, the whole burden of proof and documentation is entirely thrown on the applicant. That being said, nobody but yourself knows what kind of little detail will make or break your application, and it's something that many consultants simply don't care, or just don't know you enough to know what questions to ask you, and consequently, documents to ask you.

More than that, if for example you receive an additional document request from visa officer, you'll likely have just a couple of days, 30 days at most, to submit the required document. A simple slip from him, or just the fact that he didn't see the email about your application, and BAM, there you go, you missed the deadline, or best case, he'll send you the email just a few days before the deadline.

No, I don't think they'll pick themselves up, because at the end of the day, they are already paid...

You sound like someone who knows how to look for information, and hate indifference and mediocrity.
I guess you understood my point of view... DIY all the way.
All the information is available online, whether it's on this forum, or on Canada website.

Good luck!

ibtee

Aug 26, 2018
Calgary
I do understand the fact that you need motivation, and that kind of fear of losing money. But here is my opinion, and my opinion only.

No consultant on the planet will ever take your case at heart just like it was his or her own. Sure they have plenty of cases.
But thing is, when it comes to Express Entry, the whole burden of proof and documentation is entirely thrown on the applicant. That being said, nobody but yourself knows what kind of little detail will make or break your application, and it's something that many consultants simply don't care, or just don't know you enough to know what questions to ask you, and consequently, documents to ask you.

More than that, if for example you receive an additional document request from visa officer, you'll likely have just a couple of days, 30 days at most, to submit the required document. A simple slip from him, or just the fact that he didn't see the email about your application, and BAM, there you go, you missed the deadline, or best case, he'll send you the email just a few days before the deadline.

No, I don't think they'll pick themselves up, because at the end of the day, they are already paid...

You sound like someone who knows how to look for information, and hate indifference and mediocrity.
I guess you understood my point of view... DIY all the way.
All the information is available online, whether it's on this forum, or on Canada website.

Good luck!
I wish there was a love react option. Your opinion is spot on about everything and it has helped me make my decision. I needed motivation but I don't anymore and a great IELTS score is one of the reasons.Thanks for taking the time to reply in depth.

ibtee

Aug 26, 2018
Calgary
You seem to be able to research and find out answers yourself. I'd recommend DIY as the process is really simple.

Immigration consultant/lawyer is recommended for people who simply do not have the ability to do basic Googling or are just way too busy for it. And then also, immigration consultant/lawyer should be an accredited one based in Canada.
Thanks man. I made my decision.

ibtee

Aug 26, 2018
Calgary
No one can make that call but you. But the process is well documented and as you have already used the forum you know you can get answers to almost every question. Question is can you spend enough time and energy in researching and figuring out things. If the answer is yes you can DIY.
Thank you, you are right.

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019

ibtee

Aug 26, 2018
Calgary
Glad for you. Wish you the best
What was your CRS score when you calculated it?
Is it above 441?
For beginners, you may want to follow the current Ray of Hope thread (ROH) that's a thread for Pre- ITA (before you receive an ITA)
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ray-of-hope-104th-draw.592128/
Yes it is exactly 441 if I apply alone. However, I'm applying with wife and we're coming up to 438 at the moment. If she gets CLB 9, we'll reach 444. Thanks for the link, I'll go through it. Wish they had a bit more generous criteria for spousal applications :)

Reactions: tobs

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Yes it is exactly 441 if I apply alone. However, I'm applying with wife and we're coming up to 438 at the moment. If she gets CLB 9, we'll reach 444. Thanks for the link, I'll go through it. Wish they had a bit more generous criteria for spousal applications :)
I hope she gets the CLB 9. She can keep trying as many times as possible till she maxes out her score.