+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating with a spouse. Can I land alone first and what are the rules?

Armenak

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Hi.
I am the main applicant and my points are gained without taking into account my spouse.
I plan to land alone first and then bring my wife when I will get on my feet. In fact I also consider getting a Canadian MA degree before bringing her. So I plan that a period of 1-2 years might pass till she will come.
So I want to find out what are the rules for this case. How much time will she have to come legally within the same application after my landing?
Will be grateful for an advice or for sharing your personal experience.

seema.vashista

May 13, 2011
Hi, as u r tHe main applicant, you can land here before u r spouse. But for her, she has the year time from her medical to land here, if she fails to do that her visa expires

Armenak

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Thanx for the respond :). Do you know if this statement is mentioned anywhere in the official data? Just want to read the source.

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
Armenak said:
Hi.
I am the main applicant and my points are gained without taking into account my spouse.
I plan to land alone first and then bring my wife when I will get on my feet. In fact I also consider getting a Canadian MA degree before bringing her. So I plan that a period of 1-2 years might pass till she will come.
So I want to find out what are the rules for this case. How much time will she have to come legally within the same application after my landing?
Will be grateful for an advice or for sharing your personal experience.
If your wife was already mentioned on the immigration application, then as mentioned above, she must land before expiry of her medicals. Then, she can go back and come within 3 years time.

However, if she was not on your application, then you will have to initiate a sponsorship application in order that she can join you.

auto_art

Aug 8, 2013
test
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
27-Aug-14
AOR Received.
neverrr-
IELTS Request
submited with App s6w7r7l7.5
File Transfer...
processing start 20-Feb-2015
Med's Request
14-Mar-2015
Med's Done....
19-Mar-2015, third line 27-Mar-15
Interview........
waived..hopefully..pray to God
Passport Req..
13-May-2015--sent 14-May-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-May-2015--PP back 23-May-2015--expiry 23-Mar-2016
LANDED..........
-
dear all

i included my spouse in my app, but since she was not haivng passport at that time so i ticked that i will travel alone, but i submitted all of her forms with the application. but now she got her passport though i am yet to get medical what should i do so that i could make her travel with me.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
auto_art said:
dear all

i included my spouse in my app, but since she was not haivng passport at that time so i ticked that i will travel alone, but i submitted all of her forms with the application. but now she got her passport though i am yet to get medical what should i do so that i could make her travel with me.
So you listed your spouse as "non accompanying," which means she CAN NOT travel with you to Canada since she will not get a visa. If you want to change the spouse to "accompanying" before your application processing is over, then you should add her as "accompanying" by contacting your VO, supplying updated application forms, and paying the application fees for her. If you go through this route, your spouse will get PR visa the same time as you and both must land in Canada within 1 year. But once landed, you (or spouse) can return home. You only need to live in Canada for 2 years out of 5 to maintain PR.

If you don't do this, then you will need to sponsor your spouse through family class after you are landed in Canada and it can take years for the process to be over.