+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating to the US can I get my seized passport from CIC back?

junola

Nov 3, 2010
I need some advice. I am a refugee seeker from Congo. I applied for refugee status since September 2009. I was issued a 5 years temporary status but I still haven't done my asylum interview yet.
My fiancee who's a US citizen applied for a fiancee visa (K1) for me to join him to get married in the United States and everything has been approved. The US consulate in Montreal just contacted me and want to schedule an appointment for an interview.
Here is my problem. My passport was seized by the CIC when I applied for asylum.

I was told there is form to request for the passport back is that true? if not what's the procedure to get the passport back?
Will I need to withraw my asylum in order to get the passport back?
How long does this process usually take? I kind of need this as soon as possible the US consulate is only giving a month?

Please help!!! I am lost I don't know what to do.

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
May 19, 2011 from buffalo
IELTS Request
submitted writtin sample (accepted)
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
June 10, 2011, again in May 02, 2012 -medical furtherance June29-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
Hi,
Can you tell me how you get the Temporary status?
I am also Refugee Cliamant waiting for my hearing. But I am not sure that my case will be accepted. I have studies here in Canada I need to finish. I applied for Refugee in May 2011.
Please let me know time line
Thanks
Salem

junola said:
I need some advice. I am a refugee seeker from Congo. I applied for refugee status since September 2009. I was issued a 5 years temporary status but I still haven't done my asylum interview yet.
My fiancee who's a US citizen applied for a fiancee visa (K1) for me to join him to get married in the United States and everything has been approved. The US consulate in Montreal just contacted me and want to schedule an appointment for an interview.
Here is my problem. My passport was seized by the CIC when I applied for asylum.

I was told there is form to request for the passport back is that true? if not what's the procedure to get the passport back?
Will I need to withraw my asylum in order to get the passport back?
How long does this process usually take? I kind of need this as soon as possible the US consulate is only giving a month?

Please help!!! I am lost I don't know what to do.