+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating to Canada from Philippines on a Canadian work visa

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes my boyfriend is Canadian, we can prove our relationship, and for ties to my home country i'm staying with a cousin when i get home to the Philippines after my overseas work contract in Saudi arabia is complete in a month, until my visa is a approved, the only thing i can do is prove that my family is there, i don't have property, or a job in my home country at this time or during the visa process.
Unfortunately your boyfriend has given you unrealistic expectations of how easy it will be to get to Canada. In order to get a TRV you'll need to show ties to the Phillipines like owning a home, have a longterm job, etc. If you are applying from KSA you don't have very strong ties to Canada. You also need to show that you have the extra funds to travel and support yourself in Canada without working. Even if you get a TRV (which is taking months to process) you would need to convince the airline and immigration that you qualify under the longterm relationship travel authorization and that you are only a temporary visitor. Have you spent a lot of time in person with your partner? If Canada suspects you want to work in Canada you can be denied entry. McDonald's franchise may not want to pay to see if they can get a positive LMIA. It is taking months. If McDonald's get the LMIA then you would need to apply for a closed WP which would take months to get a response and is not guaranteed to be approved. Your plan to come to Canada and start working soon after is not realistic.

Corsair2020

Feb 8, 2021
What would be the most effective way to get to Canada to be with my boyfriend?
I've been with a recruitment agency for my current overseas job for 2years but that is done in March.
I don't have property of my own.
I want to move to Canada to be with my boyfriend, but I don't want him to have to go into debt because of me.
McDonalds won't do the LMIA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What would be the most effective way to get to Canada to be with my boyfriend?
I've been with a recruitment agency for my current overseas job for 2years but that is done in March.
I don't have property of my own.
I want to move to Canada to be with my boyfriend, but I don't want him to have to go into debt because of me.
McDonalds won't do the LMIA.
Most realistic way is for him to travel to your home country and get married there. He can then return to Canada and sponsor you for permanent residency status as his spouse.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But with the pandemic that would be next to impossible
Every other path will most likely be much harder.

To get a work permit, you need to find an employer who is willing to go through the LMIA process in addition to giving you a job offer. It's next to impossible to find employers willing to go through this process unless you have very specialized skills or experience. As you've found out, an employer like McDonald's will not go through this process. So your chances of obtaining a work permit are extremely extremely low.

Another option would be for you to come on a study permit to Canada to study in Canada full time at a university or college. However this would require you to have bank savings of at least $25,000 to prove you can pay for your tuition and living expenses in Canada. You will also need to demonstrate strong ties to your home country and pick a program to study in Canada that makes sense based on your previous education and work experience. If you have this amount of money in your savings (at least $25,000), then this might be an option. Otherwise, a study permit is not an option for you either.

Corsair2020

Feb 8, 2021
Ok, what if I was able to get there on a visitor visa, we would be able to marry and do the permanent residency, right? Or no?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, what if I was able to get there on a visitor visa, we would be able to marry and do the permanent residency, right? Or no?
Yes - this would be possible.

It may be quite challenging to get a TRV approved if you don't have strong ties to your home country and previous travel to countries requiring visas like the US / UK.

Corsair2020

Feb 8, 2021
I could get the new land my family bought put in my name for purpose of the visa, and sign it back after some time. Would this feasible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I could get the new land my family bought put in my name for purpose of the visa, and sign it back after some time. Would this feasible?
You can certainly try.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would there be a time frame to get that done, or it ok as long as it is my name when the visa get processed?
You would need it before you apply for your visa. Want to stress that even if you own land getting a TRV is likely to be difficult and may take many months to get answer.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Would there be a time frame to get that done, or it ok as long as it is my name when the visa get processed?
The embassy in the Philippines will require the land transfer deed. Once they see that the transfer was recently done, they will know it was done for the sake of the visa application.

Your most realistic option is to marry your boyfriend there in the Philippines. Acquiring a visitor’s visa is difficult, even more challenging now with the pandemic. Even if you get a TRV, not sure you will be allowed to travel here during Covid. You need to have strong proof of a long term relationship before you even trt to come on a TRV.

Good luck.