+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating from the US to Newfoundland, not exactly "qualified". Help!

Koishii

Feb 5, 2009
Hello. I am new to the forums and this is my first post. My name is Rachael, and I am looking to immigrate to Canada (Newfoundland) to live with my boyfriend asap, sometime this year. I have been researching and trying to e-mail certain people for about 3 months now and haven't been able to find anything very useful. I know immigrating will be especially hard for me because of my situation, but I refuse to give up. I am very serious about this and I know there has to be a way. I'm going to be 24 on the 15th of this month, I only have 3 semesters of college and one of University under my belt (no degree) and I've only worked part-time since I was 18. My boyfriend is 25 and currently in school.

I'm relatively new to all of this, so please, speak to me like I'm 4 years old, I won't be offended. If anyone has ANY information or advice or knows of anything at all I can do, please please please help me.

dsenese

Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2009
AOR Received.
11-02-2009
File Transfer...
03-06-2009
Med's Request
04-03-2010
Med's Done....
20-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2010
LANDED..........
29-05-2010
What country are you a citizen of?

How is it your bf is in Canada? is he a citizen? if not, what kind of visa does he have?

People will need this information.

Koishii

Feb 5, 2009
dsenese said:
What country are you a citizen of?

How is it your bf is in Canada? is he a citizen? if not, what kind of visa does he have?

People will need this information.

I live in the United States, in Indiana. Yes he is a citizen, he was born there, and we are in a long distance relationship.

V

Star Member
Jan 31, 2009
You didn't mention if you are a US citizen but if you are, then I can think of the following options:

1) Find a job in Canada and work under NAFTA if you are a US citizen. This might be the fastest way for you to move there as a temporary resident.

2) If you end up marrying your boyfriend before or after you move to Canada, then he can sponsor you to immigrate under family class immigration. This might be the fastest way for you to become a permanent resident of Canada.

3) You could apply under Federal Skilled Worker to become a permanent resident but based on what you have mentioned, I do not think you qualify for it yet.

4) You could apply under PNP to become a permanent resident if you have a full-time job offer in some of the Canadian provinces.

Have you looked at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ ? This may be a better way to assess your situation. Go there and let us know if you have questions.

I am not an expert, and this is just my opinion.

Good luck

V

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

V said:
You didn't mention if you are a US citizen but if you are, then I can think of the following options:

1) Find a job in Canada and work under NAFTA if you are a US citizen. This might be the fastest way for you to move there as a temporary resident.

She doesn't have a degree, which is a requirement for all the 68 jobs

2) If you end up marrying your boyfriend before or after you move to Canada, then he can sponsor you to immigrate under family class immigration. This might be the fastest way for you to become a permanent resident of Canada.

3) You could apply under Federal Skilled Worker to become a permanent resident but based on what you have mentioned, I do not think you qualify for it yet.

4) You could apply under PNP to become a permanent resident if you have a full-time job offer in some of the Canadian provinces.

It would have to NFLD, and you require a job offer for PNP

Have you looked at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ ? This may be a better way to assess your situation. Go there and let us know if you have questions.

I am not an expert, and this is just my opinion.

Good luck

V
PMM

Koishii

Feb 5, 2009
I spoke to an immigration lawyer today and she told me the same thing, that due to my personal circumstances, the easiest route would be to marry my boyfriend so he can sponsor me therefore allowing me to immigrate to Canada. My question is, what do I do then? Will I be able to get a work visa? This is my main concern, as I don't believe we can realistically live together on one income.

And btw, yes I am a legal citizen of the United States.

V

Star Member
Jan 31, 2009
When you are a permanent resident of Canada, you are allowed to live and work there. Check the CIC website to see how long it takes to process a case like yours. If you are looking to work in Canada before you become a permanent resident, then you may do so under a temporary work permit. You should do some research on that.

Good luck

V