+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating as self-employed

Wongioavanni

Oct 21, 2020
Hi,
Can someone clarify who can apply as a self-employed person.
Coz in the Canada.ca website it says if you want to apply as a self-employed Person program, You must:
1. Have relevant experience in cultural activity or athletics and
2. Be willing to make significant contribution to cultural or athletics life of Canada.

I’m a IT consultant self employed with more than 10 years experience. What is the process of applying and what’s the fees for a family?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Charled

Nov 5, 2020
I have 15 years experience in cultural activities
Hi,
Can someone clarify who can apply as a self-employed person.
Coz in the Canada.ca website it says if you want to apply as a self-employed Person program, You must:
1. Have relevant experience in cultural activity or athletics and
2. Be willing to make significant contribution to cultural or athletics life of Canada.

I’m a IT consultant self employed with more than 10 years experience. What is the process of applying and what’s the fees for a family?
Thanks

mamasvoice

Star Member
Sep 14, 2020
Category........
BUSINESS
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-22-2020
Suggest using only official government sites. OP was asking about immigrating as an IT consultant and he doesn't meet the criteria..
I second this.

Even in this article, it says that the eligible NOCs for self-employed persons are only those in the cultural and athletics field. And they all start with the number 5.

Even if you have been self-employed for several years in IT, it is not an eligible NOC for the Federal Self-Employed stream.

Reactions: PAINKILLER28

cheersneo

Jan 4, 2021
hello everyone!
I have over 10 years of working experience in a NOC that fits the requirement and have started running my business a couple of years ago, but at the same time am also an employee of another company, am I still eligible to apply as a self-employed person please? thanks!!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hello everyone!
I have over 10 years of working experience in a NOC that fits the requirement and have started running my business a couple of years ago, but at the same time am also an employee of another company, am I still eligible to apply as a self-employed person please? thanks!!
Yes, you are eligible if your self employment is your main source of income. If you are employment it can’t be the main income source. What NOC

Last edited:
Reactions: cheersneo

cheersneo

Jan 4, 2021
thank you @Naturgrl and @comerunning19 ! much appreciated!
my NOC is 5131, and yes, the income from my own business is more than what I got from my job as an employee, so i think that's a good sign. do i need to provide proof of income like business record, tax document to prove it please? thanks!!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
my NOC is 5131, and yes, the income from my own business is more than what I got from my job as an employee, so i think that's a good sign. do i need to provide proof of income like business record, tax document to prove it please? thanks!!
Yes you need to show your proof of income. Read through carefully the requirements and documents to submit an application. It is a long process so you want a complete application.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Yes in order to prove your self employment status.
Read the instructions IMM4500 and the forms, especially a form called Schedule 6A, to get a thorough idea of how it's gonna be like.

pathak2016

May 29, 2016
Can anybody tell me how long it takes to receive a application no? I applied on November 2021 but till date I have received nothing. Is it normal?

aishwarya4174

Jan 7, 2022
after we are issued the PR and I’m unable to work self employed. Can a company hire me for a job and I can be employed? Would there be any issue with that. PR rights would be same for
everyone right