+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMMIGRATE FROM CUBA

KarenAnne

Aug 19, 2009
Does anyone know about how long it would take for a skilled worker to immigrate from Cuba with his wife and daughter. He is a university graduate with a B.A. in English. He speaks French to the Intermediate to Advanced Level and he said his writing of French is a little rusty. Also it looks like most provincial programms require you to have an employer nominate you first. How the heck do you get that done? Is there a list of employers requiring immigrants or do you just go to Monster.com, HRDC , etc.??
Please help. Is there anyway my husband and myself could sponsor this family to come here by offering them a home, food etc until he finds permanent work here in Ontario? We are not related, just good friends.
Please help

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi karenAnne,

I'd advise you to start from here, where you can explore different ways to help your friends.
Also note that apart from his degree, his occupation plays a very important role.
This is the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

CanSun

Star Member
Mar 2, 2009
Karen Anne - Along with Canada, try for US Immigration also. For Cuban citizens - it is very easy to get US Green Card (wet foot / dry foot rule). I think as long as you can touch US Soil - Legal Permanent Residence (Green Cards) are guaranteed for Cuban Citizens under special rules.

Do you have a Tourist Visa for USA or Canada ??? Then you can just land up at the border of the US and apply for immigration - I think it is not a big problem - check with an attorney though.

KarenAnne

Aug 19, 2009
Regarding Tourist Visa; the Canadian Embassy in Cuba is very, very arrogant. They are very stringent when giving tourist visas to Cubans and I am sure that they will not give tourist visas to my friend, his wife and daughter. They may let one of them have a visa but not all 3. I can almost assure you of that. I have personally known 2 different people trying to get a tourist visa for Canada for one month only and to no avail. The one person I have known for 6 yrs and tried to visit here last year was turned down twice by the Canadian Embassy in Cuba. The first time she applied they checked off on her application # 1 which stated: Your ties to your country of residence/citizenship balanced against factors which might motivate you to stay in Canada. She is 47 yrs old, she is married, she has a 9 yr old daughter, a husband, a full time job and a home. She has no intention of staying here. She reapplied to our lovely Canadian Embassy 6 mos later and she was declined again. They circled # 1 as above and # 3 which states: Your limited or irregular travel history. What GD history. She has none!!

joy4u

Jun 12, 2009
KarenAnne said:
Regarding Tourist Visa; the Canadian Embassy in Cuba is very, very arrogant. They are very stringent when giving tourist visas to Cubans and I am sure that they will not give tourist visas to my friend, his wife and daughter. They may let one of them have a visa but not all 3. I can almost assure you of that. I have personally known 2 different people trying to get a tourist visa for Canada for one month only and to no avail. The one person I have known for 6 yrs and tried to visit here last year was turned down twice by the Canadian Embassy in Cuba. The first time she applied they checked off on her application # 1 which stated: Your ties to your country of residence/citizenship balanced against factors which might motivate you to stay in Canada. She is 47 yrs old, she is married, she has a 9 yr old daughter, a husband, a full time job and a home. She has no intention of staying here. She reapplied to our lovely Canadian Embassy 6 mos later and she was declined again. They circled # 1 as above and # 3 which states: Your limited or irregular travel history. What GD history. She has none!!
I believe there's no way you can sponsor them. The family can apply if one of the adults' occupation is in the NOC. Also, the family can try for Quebec as your friend knows French. There are other ways too....check www.cic.gc.ca and you might find something. One of my friends form South India went to Canada as a caregiver some three years back. She was sponsored by a family. She has now applied for her immigration and also included her husband. She worked as a nanny for 1.5 years before going to Canada.