+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrants planning to land in next few months..lets connect here!!

babbu.mann

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2012
Brampton-ON
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
DEC-2011
LANDED..........
November 2012
Dear Members,

Though I have submitted my Medical last month and hopefully with god's grace I shall get visa soon. Most of us are on the same stage and many of us have got visa and planning to land in 2 or few months. The motive of the thread is to connect here and share the basic needs for landing...That may include currency exchange and ticketing,useful things need to carry with u in Canada and many more issue. We can connect here and share the experience with each other..

Best of luck who are waiting for DM/Visa and good luck to those who have got their visa's.

Rabb Rakha
Babbu

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
Reached Sydney 18-05-2012/ PER 4 June 2012
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 (Sent with application)
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
25-AUG-2012/ Medical Line updated on Ecas 7Oct2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012
Hi Babbu

This is really nice idea to create this thread to make new immigrants aware of resources and their optimum utilization during first few months of landing. I am adding few important facts which are important for families to consider.

1) AVOID BRAMPTON MISSISSAUGA MILTON think thrice before listening to anyone's advice, we are patriotic, religious, responsible or whatever but do not follow DESI's for so called low cost of living (which is co-related to low income factually) 90% of population living in those are spend >2 hrs a day for travelling to work. Pathetic transport so you have to buy your own car which will add $800 per month expense

and Yes if you wish to go for general labour, movers, driver or small jobs you can choose mississauga or etobicoke region and rent a basement

2) Toronto Kipling, Northyork or Sheppard street intersections should be your main targets where you can get One Bedroom apt in range of $1000-1300 and 2 Bedroom apt in range of 1400-1700. depending on your size of family. It may seem expensive with comparison to rentals in desi area which is just $100-300 cheap but you can overcome these cost by advantage of super transport system (No need of car), very good job opportunities, schools and doctors. Those who have infant or primary school level kids should try to stay near yonge and eglinton, yonge and sheppard where apartments are situated above subway level so you not need to get out in open in winters. (winters are dangerous -30degrees)

3) It is easy to travel for groceries, shopping, basic needs and work through TTC and you may spend 30mins for travel to work. Day care arrangements and all basic child care will be at your doorstep. Enjoy weekends in and around city.

Suggestions to prepare before travelling

DO NOT WASTE MONEY IN SHOPPING IN INDIA YOU NEED MORE CASH SO SAVE IT FOR CANADA

It is not a fact that in India you will find things cheap, but actually people not use those clothes and stuff here and you can find good clothes here too which are fashion up to date and almost of same price. Wallmart, aeropostale, Gap and even ambercrombie is almost offering more than 50% whole year. you may bring idols for worship or religious stuff which is little expensive and rare to find.

Book Forex ahead of time as current economic conditions in India will not allow rupee to depreciate and it may touch $60 soon, plan your travel in a way that you can come first and your family after 20-25days. (Or otherwise if you have friends and family they will arrange things for you). Do not bring extra cash or all your cash monies in one go. $25-30k are enough for your settlement. Interest rates will be high in India make an FD which you can declare at time of landing.

I hope I have mentioned all general questions, i will be glad to share my personal experience if any one has specific queries.

Bali Noc 1312

Aug 2, 2012
babbu.mann said:
Dear Members,

Though I have submitted my Medical last month and hopefully with god's grace I shall get visa soon. Most of us are on the same stage and many of us have got visa and planning to land in 2 or few months. The motive of the thread is to connect here and share the basic needs for landing...That may include currency exchange and ticketing,useful things need to carry with u in Canada and many more issue. We can connect here and share the experience with each other..

Best of luck who are waiting for DM/Visa and good luck to those who have got their visa's.

Rabb Rakha
Babbu

Dear Babbu Paaji,

Here in New delhi we have two options for medical test - Malkit Law Shanti Niketan and Medicentre at Panchsheel Marg

Which one is good for medical test

Please suggest

Ind2ca

Star Member
Feb 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
4131/3111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan, 2010
IELTS Request
8.0 bands
Med's Request
June, 2012
Med's Done....
July, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
June, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April, 2013
LANDED..........
June, 2013
Jitu1011 said:
Hi Babbu

This is really nice idea to create this thread to make new immigrants aware of resources and their optimum utilization during first few months of landing. I am adding few important facts which are important for families to consider.

1) AVOID BRAMPTON MISSISSAUGA MILTON think thrice before listening to anyone's advice, we are patriotic, religious, responsible or whatever but do not follow DESI's for so called low cost of living (which is co-related to low income factually) 90% of population living in those are spend >2 hrs a day for travelling to work. Pathetic transport so you have to buy your own car which will add $800 per month expense

and Yes if you wish to go for general labour, movers, driver or small jobs you can choose mississauga or etobicoke region and rent a basement

2) Toronto Kipling, Northyork or Sheppard street intersections should be your main targets where you can get One Bedroom apt in range of $1000-1300 and 2 Bedroom apt in range of 1400-1700. depending on your size of family. It may seem expensive with comparison to rentals in desi area which is just $100-300 cheap but you can overcome these cost by advantage of super transport system (No need of car), very good job opportunities, schools and doctors. Those who have infant or primary school level kids should try to stay near yonge and eglinton, yonge and sheppard where apartments are situated above subway level so you not need to get out in open in winters. (winters are dangerous -30degrees)

3) It is easy to travel for groceries, shopping, basic needs and work through TTC and you may spend 30mins for travel to work. Day care arrangements and all basic child care will be at your doorstep. Enjoy weekends in and around city.

Suggestions to prepare before travelling

DO NOT WASTE MONEY IN SHOPPING IN INDIA YOU NEED MORE CASH SO SAVE IT FOR CANADA

It is not a fact that in India you will find things cheap, but actually people not use those clothes and stuff here and you can find good clothes here too which are fashion up to date and almost of same price. Wallmart, aeropostale, Gap and even ambercrombie is almost offering more than 50% whole year. you may bring idols for worship or religious stuff which is little expensive and rare to find.

Book Forex ahead of time as current economic conditions in India will not allow rupee to depreciate and it may touch $60 soon, plan your travel in a way that you can come first and your family after 20-25days. (Or otherwise if you have friends and family they will arrange things for you). Do not bring extra cash or all your cash monies in one go. $25-30k are enough for your settlement. Interest rates will be high in India make an FD which you can declare at time of landing.

I hope I have mentioned all general questions, i will be glad to share my personal experience if any one has specific queries.
Wonderful. You've explained things in GREAT details. This would be really helpful for new settlers. Thanks. :)

nirmaan

Star Member
Jun 4, 2012
India, New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-Dec-11
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
21-Feb-12
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
21-March-12
Med's Request
3-July-12
Med's Done....
5-July-12
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
3-July-12
VISA ISSUED...
30-July-12
LANDED..........
In October
Guys
Do we need to fill any forms before landing, and stuff like gold chain and watches that you are wearing at the time of landing should be included in goods carry list? I mean is it mandatory to mention or not. what kinda format is of goods carry list suppose to be.

I will be wearing one gold chain and watch, do i need pics of that chain, do they keep chain for one day.

Please advise seniors. Also what are do's and dont's while landing

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012

Panchsheel park is fine, I got my medicals done there in 2009.
Wherever you go you have to wait in que so be prepared for that.

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012
nirmaan said:
Guys
Do we need to fill any forms before landing, and stuff like gold chain and watches that you are wearing at the time of landing should be included in goods carry list? I mean is it mandatory to mention or not. what kinda format is of goods carry list suppose to be.

I will be wearing one gold chain and watch, do i need pics of that chain, do they keep chain for one day.

Please advise seniors. Also what are do's and dont's while landing
You have to declare your over all assets you are bringing in Canada to ascertain your net worth. There are some items which has cap like liquor and cigarettes, but for new immigrants who are doing first landing are exempt for duty on assets they are bringing, So you must declare all your valuable assets which could fetch you capital gains in future so that you can avoid double taxation. However these small items are ignored sometimes but after all they are your assets so you can fill it in the form.

I am not aware whether you are coming here for first time and whether you are coming alone or with family, So assuming you coming alone you should carry money draft, Travelers cheque, statement of wired money approx $14k to show settlement funds. I will suggest you to get $10k instrument and $3-4k cash.

babbu.mann

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2012
Brampton-ON
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
DEC-2011
LANDED..........
November 2012
appreciated your inputs Jitu!!

I'm wonder that u have said "FD in India can be a proof of Landing funds"

The time I have applied in Dec 2011,The exchange rate was around $1=48 INR and now it is around $1= 56 INR.
This won't be a wise Idea if We would take all the funds with us...

any comments..??

rabb rakha
babbu

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012
babbu.mann said:
appreciated your inputs Jitu!!

I'm wonder that u have said "FD in India can be a proof of Landing funds"

The time I have applied in Dec 2011,The exchange rate was around $1=48 INR and now it is around $1= 56 INR.
This won't be a wise Idea if We would take all the funds with us...

any comments..??

rabb rakha
babbu

Brother if you remember I am from financial markets domain, the major difference in currency started only this Jan2012 otherwise the canadian/USD price was hovering around 46-48, keeping in mind that majority of immigrants are sending money back home for supporting family people incur huge cost and loose interest, you dont get substantial interest in Canada on your money in bank and instead have to pay a lot for maintaining bank account.

FD in major banks are giving 10% interest and corporate FD or debentures are paying around 12-14% so in longer term you will see it will be beneficial for you. and moreover I dont feel dollar will sustain at this level and after elections it will come down to same Rs50-52levels, I feel so much pain watching people buying Dollors at Rs56+ levels. and I suggest to keep major amount back to earn interest because here it wont take long to get settle with jobs and income are sufficient to incur expenses. And unless some is rich with cash no new immigrant plan to make a big purchase in initial two years.

My views can differ from people who may have different experience and outlook.

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012
AND FOR CHEAP TICKETS CHECK FARE WITH

info@globewintravels.com

You can send them email for quote (Toronto YYZ has always special offer)

For forex send me a PM

syrust

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
no
Good Going Jitu Bai..

just wanted to add one more thing.. .everybody make sure to go to YMCA first week of your landing.
They will help you make your Canadian Resume and also they have enough knowledge they can put you in companies as interns..
If required they will also suggest you to go to school and they also help to get funding from govt for your further education.

Make sure to make Card from Toronto Public Library.. If in starting you don't want to spend money on laptop or computer then thats the place where you can use free internet and all day long and also they charge very less for Printing papers. Toronto Public Library also helps new immigrants and they organize new events every other day for new immigrants.

Thanks..

Syrus

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012
syrust said:
Good Going Jitu Bai..

just wanted to add one more thing.. .everybody make sure to go to YMCA first week of your landing.
They will help you make your Canadian Resume and also they have enough knowledge they can put you in companies as interns..
If required they will also suggest you to go to school and they also help to get funding from govt for your further education.

Make sure to make Card from Toronto Public Library.. If in starting you don't want to spend money on laptop or computer then thats the place where you can use free internet and all day long and also they charge very less for Printing papers. Toronto Public Library also helps new immigrants and they organize new events every other day for new immigrants.

Thanks..

Syrus

This is awesome information I forget to mention.

My wife has enrolled with Toronto Public Library and that has helped us in various ways in time of need

THANK YOU BOSS!

syrust

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
no
Jitu1011 said:
This is awesome information I forget to mention.

My wife has enrolled with Toronto Public Library and that has helped us in various ways in time of need

THANK YOU BOSS!
Trust me jitu veer.. I never wanted to go to library... i still don't go..

but my wife has been working in Toronto Public library since 2001... so i know that way better now they help immigrants in so many ways.

and if anybody is landing in Edmonton or Calgary I can totally help them get into starting job at a gas station where they will make Minimum wage but they won't have to spend a single penny of their money from India.

Thanks

Syrus

babbu.mann

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2012
Brampton-ON
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
DEC-2011
LANDED..........
November 2012
good going guys!! very informative thread for would be immigrants,

I have a question...Can u show Indian Bank FD @ Landing time as POF..?

rabb rakha

Babbu

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012
babbu.mann said:
good going guys!! very informative thread for would be immigrants,

I have a question...Can u show Indian Bank FD @ Landing time as POF..?

rabb rakha

Babbu

I think so, because when you can show Proof of Funds in Indian Bank account while process of PR, It may be allowed at port of entry too. You can show them as funds for maturity at later date. But you may still need to show them immediate funds $12k per person (one applicant, family is $18k i guess) while landing.