20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
mrbeachman said:
If Canada is not an oil country can you please explain why does Canadian dollar move in relation to the price of oil?
MrBeachman already answered to you. I would suggest you do some reading on Canada and its economics. There are also several sources around the web that explain why all currencies are reacting to the price of oil.

Cheers.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
number411 said:
- A foreign name results in recruiters assuming the guy has poor english skills. Just changing the name in resume from anglophonic to Indian/Chinese resulted in 50% drop in recruiter response
It's not just poor English skills that employers are concerned about. It's communication skills, and conveying a professional image to the client.

I'm an employer. I've hired numerous people over the years. I also lip read due to hearing difficulties. If you have a strong accent, it makes it very difficult for me to understand you - the accent affects how you form words. On the phone, I have no ability to lipread, and it makes things even worse.

Personally, I don't judge people based on their name. I can't blame others who do, though. Even a crummy position can have hundreds of qualified applicants, and sometimes you can't spend the time vetting everyone. After you weed out the unqualified, you have to weed the number down further.

I've skipped applicants because their voicemail was full. If they don't answer, and I can't leave a message, they don't get the job.

I've skipped applicants because their resume used different fonts (due to cut and pasting), or where they made a few typos. If they can't proofread something that important, then I'm not going to bother.

In all honesty, most of the applications that I saw from immigrants (people with education overseas) were horrible. The grammar was atrocious, the spelling was terrible, the and the document itself was unprofessional. There were some exceptions, and I gave them a fair shake, but we paid well enough to hire the most qualified candidates, and that wasn't the immigrants.

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
The job market in Alberta is insane, landed a month ago. Cannot seem to land any interviews in Calgary for even a part time job let alone a full time job. I secured employment very quick in the states as an analyst but here jobs that i wouldn't think to apply in the U.S i am being denied. Kinda sucks, but atleast im with my partner :D

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jamsham12 said:
The job market in Alberta is insane, landed a month ago. Cannot seem to land any interviews in Calgary for even a part time job let alone a full time job. I secured employment very quick in the states as an analyst but here jobs that i wouldn't think to apply in the U.S i am being denied. Kinda sucks, but atleast im with my partner :D
thanks for this info. I hope more friends who landed/landing post their experiences about job search.

S7

Jun 10, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Application sent on 02 MAY 2014 Received at CIO on 08 May 2014 CC Charged on 9 July 2014 PER 19 AUG 2014 RPRF 8 April 2015
Med's Request
09 April 2015
Med's Done....
11 April 2015
Interview........
24 Mrch2015 Abu Dhabi
Passport Req..
1st May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2015 - Passport sent - 5th May 2015 - Passport returned 21 May 2015
LANDED..........
Landed 10 Aug 2015
Hello guys,

I have landed in August 2015, I live ow in Ottawa and I was able to find a jobs within 3 months of landing which pay $25. Actually within 2 months as the first month I was busy to settle down. The contract of my current job ends in April. but I can tell that I'm getting a full time job with this organization.

Jobs in Canada might differ depending on the place, initially I was planing to go to Calgary but I changed plans as I everyone know that Calgary is dependent on OIL. so I landed in Toronto for 2 days and then moved to Ottawa.

See my post before I land and why I decided to go to ottawa
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/toronto-vs-calgary-vs-vancouver-vs-ottawa-where-to-land-t282472.0.html

Job search:

I will post more later but here is how I was able to find a job in Canada:

Update your resume make it perfect, spend time on it.
-Make different versions of it, for example I had 3 versions of my CV, one was very technical, 2nd was middle and with focus on ITIL, 3rd was with focus on Business analysis
- Upload your resume on Indeed and monster.ca
- apply to indeed these website canadahires , indeed, monster, http://www.petersnewjobs.com/, http://canadahires.com/
- apply and apply and apply... at least 5 hours a days of applying.
- update your linked in and also apply on linked in
- apply on the companies websites, either refered by linked in or by pertersnew jobs or canadahires

- if you an accent then try to make it lighter, its not about the accent its about people should understand you. as long as its clear then you should be ok.

I will try to make a detailed posting on job search.

Hope this helps for now

stay positive people

Regards,
S7

Vix2587

Oct 26, 2013
Hi S7,

I am planning to land in Ottawa by March (1st week). Can you please help me with the accommodation thing ? This is bugging me the most; Since most of my friends are in Vancouver & Montreal.

I am also searching jobs from India; but no positive response as of now. Might get, once I land there :)

My contact no is +91 8130694973. Please inbox me your number for any future query from my end (if that's ok with you)

Regards
Vivek

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
S7 said:
Hello guys,

I have landed in August 2015, I live ow in Ottawa and I was able to find a jobs within 3 months of landing which pay $25. Actually within 2 months as the first month I was busy to settle down. The contact of my current job ends in April. but I can tell that I\m getting a full time job with this organization.

Jobs in Canada might differ, initially I was planing to go to Calgary but I changed plans as I everyone know that Calgary is dependent on OIL. so I landed in Toronto for 2 days and then moved to Ottawa.

See my post before I land and why I decided to go to ottawa
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/toronto-vs-calgary-vs-vancouver-vs-ottawa-where-to-land-t282472.0.html

Job search:

I will post more by here is how I was able to find a job in Canada:

Update your resume make it perfect, spend time on it.
-Make different versions of it, for example I had 3 versions of my CV, one was very technical, 2nd was middle and with focus on ITIL, 3rd was with foucus on Business analysis
- Upload your resume on Indeed and monster.ca
- apply to indeed these website canadahires , indeed, monster, http://www.petersnewjobs.com/, http://canadahires.com/
- apply and apply and apply... at least 5 hours a days of applying.
- update your linked in and also apply on linked in
- apply on the companies websites, either refered by linked in or by pertersnew jobs or canadahires

- if you have one try to make it lighter, its not about the accent its about people should understand you. as long as its clear then you should be ok.

I will try to make a detailed posting on job search.

Hope this helps for now

stay positive people

Regards,
S7
I am very happy to hear your story. There are many smart moves that you've taken, for ex different resumes. I was thinking to do exactly the same. Also Ottawa! Seems to have worked out neat for you! Excellent!

Please do post in detail about job search. That's the make or break factor for us all.

S7

Jun 10, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Application sent on 02 MAY 2014 Received at CIO on 08 May 2014 CC Charged on 9 July 2014 PER 19 AUG 2014 RPRF 8 April 2015
Med's Request
09 April 2015
Med's Done....
11 April 2015
Interview........
24 Mrch2015 Abu Dhabi
Passport Req..
1st May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2015 - Passport sent - 5th May 2015 - Passport returned 21 May 2015
LANDED..........
Landed 10 Aug 2015
Vix2587 said:
Hi S7,

I am planning to land in Ottawa by March (1st week). Can you please help me with the accommodation thing ? This is bugging me the most; Since most of my friends are in Vancouver & Montreal.

I am also searching jobs from India; but no positive response as of now. Might get, once I land there :)

My contact no is +91 8130694973. Please inbox me your number for any future query from my end (if that's ok with you)

Regards
Vivek

Hello,

Check http://www.kijiji.ca/h-ottawa/1700185 thats where I found my apartment. I will send you my number. but initially plan for 2 weeks to stay in a hotel untill you find an a place to live in... I pay 1300 CAD per month for 2 bedroom furnished.

Regards,
s7

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/alberta-judge-reverses-human-rights-ruling-that-found-regulator-discriminated-against-foreign-trained-man

In its 2014 ruling, the tribunal said many immigrants from Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia experience disadvantage and discrimination in the workforce because of language, culture and racial prejudice.

It said imposing additional exams or requirements without flexible individual assessments restricts the ability of immigrants to work in their professions and could lead to immigrants taking lower paying jobs in other fields.

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/research-stats/taxi.pdf

• 4% of all Canadian born taxi drivers have Bachelors degrees, while 14% of immigrant taxi drivers have.
    Only 0.4% of Canadian born drivers have masters degrees, while 5.4% of immigrant drivers have.
    Of the 255 Phds and MDs who drive taxis, 55 of them are Canadian born while 200 are immigrants.

From http://globalnews.ca/news/1074811/immigrant-unemployment/
  • Unemployment rate amongst university degree holders, Canadian born 3.2% and Immigrants 11.9%

Some of the reasons are already discussed in the thread, most prominent of those being, additional credential recognition and licensing for practicing in regulated fields (engineering, medicine, teaching), poor english and professional skills, and small economy that doesn't have so many jobs.

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
350 applicants in queue, more than 500 expected, for 50 jobs at Canadian Tire, on Feb 6 2016. Please have audio on, when watching this.
https://twitter.com/Lauren_Global/status/696064421915791360

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It took me less than 15 days after arriving in Canada to make 3 new friends (one of whom helped me find an apartment in a day!) and a smattering of acquaintances, further expand my 'Canadian' LinkedIn network, land 2 informational interviews with one of those leading to an immediate application for an internal position, get a contractual project management gig with a startup for a variable commitment of 20-40 hours/week, apply as a volunteer to assist other immigrants on language skills, translation advise and settlement support at the immigrant welfare centre and start off my Canadian credit history by getting a credit card.

Is that the usual immigrant story? No. Will you have exactly the same story? Unlikely. Does it have relevance to you? Depends.

I've written more about these on scattered threads elsewhere on the forum and I'll probably get around to posting some of those links to this post as well so that there is a sense of continuity but, for now, suffice to say that I'm still settling down despite what I managed to do in the first few days. No one promised me that this was going to be a walk in the park. Immigration doesn't work that way. It was easy to write what I achieved but it will be incredibly hard to give you a checklist of the things I did before, while and after coming to Canada. Even if I could do that, it's never going to be exactly the same for another person so there is little merit in deep diving into details on a forum like this. Learn from the generics and fill in the details for yourself based on your particular situation.

1. Network hard. That's the ONLY way anything works. Reach out to people you know in Canada before you arrive here. Connect on social media, ask friends/family to connect you to people they know. Ask, beg, squeeze out informational interviews at every possible opportunity. If you're only seen and heard, you're forgotten. If you spend 10 minutes talking with someone, you're probably remembered. If you stay in touch after being seen and heard, you'll start getting somewhere.

2. Improve your communication skills. It is a lifelong process. Most immigrants probably did not have English as their first language for most of their lives. But you're moving to a country where English (or French, to a lesser degree) is the only option. If you're good at it, get even better. If you're bad at it, get trained. There are a lot of places where you can get this for free. Explore the provincial and federal support systems in the first few days. Not all of them are great but some of them are really nice places staffed by people who are eager to help you settle down.

3. Don't cut ties back home. Not everyone is going to succeed in the immigration roulette. Life unfolds differently for each of us and sometimes things just don't work out for whatever reasons. Have the courage to admit that this adventure didn't work and go back. Failures aren't as bad as one imagines - not everyone who embarks on an expedition makes it to the summit but the smarter ones know when to stop almost as well as knowing when to keep going.

4. Set deadlines in stone. Even before you arrive, make sure that you have HARD deadlines and milestones for getting the SIN, bank account, credit card, drivers license, health card, informational interviews, actual interviews, first job, first acceptable job and giving up on the dream if nothing works out. Those deadlines would probably largely be defined by your settlement funds and your ability to adapt. But those are your personal deadlines - no one can set them for you and no one should. And those deadlines should not be negotiable. Part of the reason why people take survival jobs and get sucked into that vicious circle is because they don't set or stick to their personal deadlines.

5. Seek support from the community. Canadians are warm and friendly people but, in the early days, you'll probably feel more at home within your own community. If you're like me who think of themselves as global citizens, this probably doesn't apply to you. But even you can benefit from having some familiar faces and voices around. It's human nature and nothing wrong with it unless you cocoon yourself from the surroundings and become increasingly comfortable with just your own community - Avoid doing that. Remember that those emotions which keep families together and those which make Donald Trump and his followers xenophobic are basically on the same continuum. You can always choose where you want to be on that line.

Be realistic. About yourself. About your choices. About your chances. About your abilities. About immigration.

On average, you'll always hear more bad stories than good. That's how the World works. Bad news spreads faster and mutates much more than good news. But that doesn't necessarily mean that failures outnumber successes. On average, probably there will be more successful immigrants than unsuccessful ones. But who ever won a Pulitzer for pointing out something good? Media houses have their own limited political agendas and their stories reflect editorial and boardroom decisions. Not necessarily the real World. Not necessarily your perception of the real World. I refuse to be pessimistic about Canada or bearish on the loonie just because some media outlets run a story about that. I further refuse to let that influence 'my' own relatively insignificant life. The markets can fluctuate, Saudis and Iranians can hold the World to ransom, Chinese can do a Houdini trick every quarter and India can grow while the World watches in stunned silence but those are all macroeconomic indicators. I refuse to let them affect my life. If they infringe on my aspirations, I have the choice to either get better at what I do so that I'm the last person laid off from the team or learn something else to do so that I can use the combination of my older (and not so much 'in demand' now) and newer skills to adapt to a changing World. If you've ever had a repeat flu infection, you already know that something as insignificant as a Virus can adapt to changing circumstances. You've a cerebrum, use it.

Some of you might feel like pointing out that this post was a largely theoretical exercise. I take the pleasure of pointing you back to the first few lines of this post - that's real. But are those likely to help anyone but me and the organization(s) I work with? Nope. Will the rest of the post help someone plan their life better? I sure hope so.

All the best!

Mar 10, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
It took me less than 15 days after arriving in Canada to make 3 new friends (one of whom helped me find an apartment in a day!) and a smattering of acquaintances, further expand my 'Canadian' LinkedIn network, land 2 informational interviews with one of those leading to an immediate application for an internal position, get a contractual project management gig with a startup for a variable commitment of 20-40 hours/week, apply as a volunteer to assist other immigrants on language skills, translation advise and settlement support at the immigrant welfare centre and start off my Canadian credit history by getting a credit card.
I'm a lurker here but have read many posts of yours. This is not a theoretical post and is good advice. Networking, Communication, Retaining homeland ties and community support are social skills, and having a hard deadline, is managerial. Anyone with such skills will be successful anywhere, not just in Canada, and will be super-successful in capitalist nations.