+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrants coming from the UAE- 2 questions

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

Do I need a letter from the police to apply 4 a drivers license or the Emarati license is enough?

Have u brough any electronics from the UAE that worked in Canada?

THANKS

blueboy

Apr 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I don't think you need a police clearance to get a Canadian license but you can get a letter from the UAE Licensing authority citing your driving experience. If you have a good experience you might get the G license directly without any waiting period.

Coming to electronics, UAE has 220V (if I remember correctly) while Canada has 110V. If you have any appliance that uses a power adapater (like laptops) then you can check the operating voltage for your power adapter. For laptops the adapter is capable of working between 110V -240V. So, it should be fine. Rest any other appliance that works on 220V without a power adapter will not work in Canada unless you use a voltage converter.

Thanks.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bluenoy: thanks a lot for your prompt reply. my hair dryer and laptop worked when I did the landing 2 years ago.

Nicolas: thanks 4 ur helpful post, I'll make sure that I get it transalated.

sodapop

Star Member
Apr 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2011
IELTS Request
included with other documents
File Transfer...
12-14-2011
Med's Request
01-13-2012
Med's Done....
02-13-2012
Interview........
hopefully waived
Passport Req..
July 16, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Hopefully by December 2012
Hi there,

Me and my family will be moving to Canada in the next coming months, but reading this forum make us think very hard if we should settle there for good right away.
We are presently residing here in KSA, with my husband's sponsorship, having good position in his office with good salary and benefits.
Same goes with me, being employed privately with good offers too. Our kids living here not that luxurious life but comfortable enough.

Is it possible if we use our visa to land in Canada for the mean time, then:

OPTION1: My husband will go back here in KSA and continue his work while we will be left there to stay
OPTION2: We all leave Canada after couple of months and go back here in KSA to continue our way of life, then settle in Canada some time soon when we are really financially stable

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sodapop said:
OPTION1: My husband will go back here in KSA and continue his work while we will be left there to stay
OPTION2: We all leave Canada after couple of months and go back here in KSA to continue our way of life, then settle in Canada some time soon when we are really financially stable
The options are possible as long as the family maintain their Canadian residency obligations.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can be outside Canada for up to 3 years in a 5 year period without losing your PR. If you stay out for all of the 3 years completely, you can not leave Canada at all for the next 2. That is the way it works.

Some more options.. husband goes back to work, you all stay for 3 years, get citizenship and then join him. Once you, a citizen will have lived with him for 2 years, his PR will be re-instated as a PR will meet the residency requirements if he is staying with a Canadian citizen spouse overseas. Or you decide to stay but after 3, 4 or 5 years, your husband decides he wants to join you again. He will have lost his PR but you either still have your PR or have citizenship already so you can sponsor him again.

Or you land, all go back to KSA and then decide last minute after almost 3 years if you want to move to Canada to meet your requirements or skip it. If you keep your PR alive, you can always sponsor the husband later if he loses his and same with the children as long as they are under 22.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You can be outside Canada for up to 3 years in a 5 year period without losing your PR. If you stay out for all of the 3 years completely, you can not leave Canada at all for the next 2. That is the way it works.

Some more options.. husband goes back to work, you all stay for 3 years, get citizenship and then join him. Once you, a citizen will have lived with him for 2 years, his PR will be re-instated as a PR will meet the residency requirements if he is staying with a Canadian citizen spouse overseas. Or you decide to stay but after 3, 4 or 5 years, your husband decides he wants to join you again. He will have lost his PR but you either still have your PR or have citizenship already so you can sponsor him again.

Or you land, all go back to KSA and then decide last minute after almost 3 years if you want to move to Canada to meet your requirements or skip it. If you keep your PR alive, you can always sponsor the husband later if he loses his and same with the children as long as they are under 22.
Hi Leon-if the husband is the main applicant, can his family apply 4 citizenship without him??

nicholas30

Champion Member
Nov 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes!!!!!!! once landed you can apply for citizenship on your own........main applicant is not required.

N

May 6, 2012
Child without PRC - emergency visa possible at niagra land boarder

Hi Leon

I together with my wife and our first son landed in Canada in 2007 and left soon after 10 days - a typical story.

We had our second son born in Jan 2008 outside Canada so he does not have a Canadian visa status. he had a medical / surgical problem at time of birth which kept us busy. We did get his one year visit visa when he was two but unfortunately couldnt travel to Canada at that time. Now he is about 4 years of age. He has a valid US visit visa so do the rest three of us.

We are now planning to finally move to Canada before the PRCs expire in Aug 2012. I

QUESTIONS

1) can all four of us travel into canada via niagra land boarder. Is there a hope to get an emergency arrival visa for the yonger son there. I heard about some new order where they have stopped entertaining the emergency visa requests?

2) if above is not advisable should three PRC holders travel to canada first. understand that this could be luck if the IO does not check the previous travel history. I have renewed passports so won't be carrying the old ones. Can I sponsor the second child once i am there in Canada but when my own PR is expiring in Aug 2012? Lastly any idea about the processing time for this since I would not be having a job immediately after arrival in Canada?

Much appreciate advise on the above.

regards,
N

amaniziad

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
Leon said:

would like to ask , can we apply for citizinship after 2 years complete passed in canada from landing date , not exiting at all ? or we have to wait for 5 years ?
after staying 2 or 3 years in canada , they may require a police clearance again from the country i was residing before landing ? ( i am egyptian living in dubai) or only they investigate the period i passed in canada from the landing date ?

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Re: Child without PRC - emergency visa possible at niagra land boarder

N said:
Hi Leon

I together with my wife and our first son landed in Canada in 2007 and left soon after 10 days - a typical story.

We had our second son born in Jan 2008 outside Canada so he does not have a Canadian visa status. he had a medical / surgical problem at time of birth which kept us busy. We did get his one year visit visa when he was two but unfortunately couldnt travel to Canada at that time. Now he is about 4 years of age. He has a valid US visit visa so do the rest three of us.

We are now planning to finally move to Canada before the PRCs expire in Aug 2012. I

QUESTIONS

1) can all four of us travel into canada via niagra land boarder. Is there a hope to get an emergency arrival visa for the yonger son there. I heard about some new order where they have stopped entertaining the emergency visa requests?

2) if above is not advisable should three PRC holders travel to canada first. understand that this could be luck if the IO does not check the previous travel history. I have renewed passports so won't be carrying the old ones. Can I sponsor the second child once i am there in Canada but when my own PR is expiring in Aug 2012? Lastly any idea about the processing time for this since I would not be having a job immediately after arrival in Canada?

Much appreciate advise on the above.

regards,
N
Well though I m not Leon but I cannot stop myself by reading your situation.I hope Leon will be able to provide you satisfying answers to your queries but what I want to point is that how much time you have spend in Canada after getting your PR card in August 2007.As per your posts you had stayed for only 10 days in Canada in 2007 and then left and now you want to move to Canada for good before the expiry of your PR card in Aug 2012.

Have you completed your 2 out of 5 years stay in Canada (which is necessary for the renewal of PR card),if thts not the case I am very sorry to say, but as per my little knowledge ,your PR card has been already expired in September 2010 ,when you lived more than 3 years out of Canada.

Leon and other seniors please correct me if I m wrong.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Child without PRC - emergency visa possible at niagra land boarder

N said:
QUESTIONS

1) Surely you can show up at the border and plead your case but I have no idea what your odds of success are.

2) You do not meet the residency requirements but I suppose with your sons medical problems, you might have some mitigating circumstances. Therefore, you could plead your case for another visit visa or TRP for your son to come with you at this point or you could try your luck at the borders (option 1) but if you aim at getting in to Canada without the immigration officers becoming aware that you do not meet the requirements, you will be found out when you try to sponsor him as you will have to list your history for the past few years. Therefore, if you feel this is the safest way to try to keep your PR, you can enter as a family of 3, wait for 2 years and then sponsor him or I suppose you could sponsor him knowing that if they are aware of you not meeting the requirements and you having a problem because of that, your spouse would likely not have a problem. Your spouse could stay in Canada for the full 2 years necessary to renew the PR card and after that, if you lost your PR in the end, your spouse could sponsor you and the son back.