+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immediate Family under Visitor Visa

obrar

Nov 6, 2018
Hi,
I am a Canadian Citizen by birth. My father in law and mother in law are Indian citizens who are coming to Canada on March 25th. Will they qualify as my immediate family? There is no info on any govt website. Please let me know if you have verified info.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I am a Canadian Citizen by birth. My father in law and mother in law are Indian citizens who are coming to Canada on March 25th. Will they qualify as my immediate family? There is no info on any govt website. Please let me know if you have verified info.
No one knows at this time. We are all waiting for further information / clarification.

IamBlaze

Mar 17, 2020
Same situation here, I'm a citizen and my wife is a permanent resident. Her mother is due to travel soon but there's no clarification anywhere about what the definition of immediate family is or whether family of permanent residents are also exempt from the travel ban

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hi,
I would think that only dependent children and spouses are the immediate family but not 100% sure

mmahedihasan

Star Member
Apr 23, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore

IamBlaze

Mar 17, 2020
Parents does not fall under allowed immediate family members, I am a citizen and my parents are not allowed to travel during this travel ban. Please check this official response from CIC songapore.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/covid19-travel-ban-by-canada-on-all-foreign-nationals-does-it-include-copr-holders-will-my-airline-allow-me-to-fly-from-india-to-toronto.682412/post-8549532
Thanks for the info @mmahedihasan the response you gave from CIC singapore doesn't seem to state what an immediate family member is. Did your parents try to board a flight and get denied? Or did they tell you over the phone that they wouldn't be able to fly

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the info @mmahedihasan the response you gave from CIC singapore doesn't seem to state what an immediate family member is. Did your parents try to board a flight and get denied? Or did they tell you over the phone that they wouldn't be able to fly
IRCC's standard definition of immediate family has always been spouse/common-law partner, any dependent children, and their children, if any.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Anyone have any updates or info about this from people who were due to board planes today?
We are hearing many reports of being being denied boarding today if they don't meet the new criteria to enter.

IamBlaze

Mar 17, 2020
We are hearing many reports of being being denied boarding today if they don't meet the new criteria to enter.
So many conflicting reports :( it seems to differ by airline and circumstance. I just heard of someone (a permanent resident) whose parents were allowed to board in London. Guess they risk being turned back at the airport in Canada?

sum321

Star Member
Nov 30, 2016
So much confusion, Trudueau mentioned family of citizen, transport minister mentioned family of citizen and PR. Online material doesn't clarify.
I am PR and hoping can have parents(on visitor visa) here. I have sent few emails to CBSA and Transport department etc. waiting on reply. Will update if i get any update.

Reactions: Scorpion80 and QHF

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
So much confusion, Trudueau mentioned family of citizen, transport minister mentioned family of citizen and PR. Online material doesn't clarify.
I am PR and hoping can have parents(on visitor visa) here. I have sent few emails to CBSA and Transport department etc. waiting on reply. Will update if i get any update.
Official website says only immediate family members of Canadian citizens will be allowed to come so I would rely on the official sources.

IamBlaze

Mar 17, 2020
Yes please update us if you get any replies to your emails!

mmahedihasan

Star Member
Apr 23, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
Official website says only immediate family members of Canadian citizens will be allowed to come so I would rely on the official sources.
I am also a citizen and my parents are not allowed to enter Canada with COPR as per Singapore office reply. Also talked with a renowned immigration lawyer.

Same answer, parents are not in the definition of immediate family members and cannot enter with COPR.
Hope this helps!