+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5604E - Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada

sallam_ah

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
Hi,
I'm in Canada with a work permit and my 10 years boy has a study permit and we are about to apply for PR.

1. I have a notarized declaration from my ex-wife to allow my son to travel with me to Canada. Can this letter replace the required form IMM5604E? Or should I ask her for another declaration to allow the boy to immigrate with me to Canada?

2. Does this form/declaration has an expiration period in general?

3. What should I do if she refuses my request even though she is married now and I'm his garden since he was 4?

Thank you

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You need to fill out the form that is required. You typically cannot replace a required form with an old letter, especially if it does not make specifically the same declaration the form asks for. You also should not have her write a separate declaration that says what the form says hoping it will acceptable - only the form is acceptable.

She is still a parent, I assume? Did she give you full custody?

sallam_ah

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
The problem is, the official language of my country is Arabic. The public notary will not stamp a foreign document. When I applied for a study permit for my kid before, this declaration was approved to replace IMM5646

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I'm in Canada with a work permit and my 10 years boy has a study permit and we are about to apply for PR.

1. I have a notarized declaration from my ex-wife to allow my son to travel with me to Canada. Can this letter replace the required form IMM5604E? Or should I ask her for another declaration to allow the boy to immigrate with me to Canada?

3. What should I do if she refuses my request even though she is married now and I'm his garden since he was 4?

Thank you
1. Unless you have full legal custody, you need a new declaration from her.

2. No set expiration but you want it to be as close to app submission as possible.

3. Seek full legal custody from the courts.

sallam_ah

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
IRCC will accept a notarized declaration in place of the form.
Hi canuck_in_uk,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I have another two questions

My first question is:
Is there any similar form required later to apply for citizenship for the minor? or should I include the PR's IMM5604E in the minor application?

My second question is:
Is it possible to apply for citizenship for a minor if he was not accompanying in the PR application?

Thanks in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi canuck_in_uk,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I have another two questions

My first question is:
Is there any similar form required later to apply for citizenship for the minor? or should I include the PR's IMM5604E in the minor application?

My second question is:
Is it possible to apply for citizenship for a minor if he was not accompanying in the PR application?

Thanks in advance
1. Check the citizenship app checklist.

2. The child has to be a PR first in order to apply for citizenship.

Reactions: sallam_ah

sallam_ah

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
1. Check the citizenship app checklist.

2. The child has to be a PR first in order to apply for citizenship.

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that the checklist has nothing about that, but one of my friends told me that, you have to pack every document in your PR application and attach to your citizenship application. Additionally, some documents like this one is not part of the main checklist and usually requested in a later stage like the PR. So what do you think about that?

Also, Could you please send me the check list to make sure I'm looking into the correct one?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that the checklist has nothing about that, but one of my friends told me that, you have to pack every document in your PR application and attach to your citizenship application. Additionally, some documents like this one is not part of the main checklist and usually requested in a later stage like the PR. So what do you think about that?

Also, Could you please send me the check list to make sure I'm looking into the correct one?
Your friend has no idea what they are talking about. If it isn't on the citizenship checklist, it isn't required. You certainly do NOT submit your entire PR app in a citizenship app.

The checklist is found on the IRCC website.

aldododo

Aug 24, 2016
Hi,

Thank you
Hello brother,how are you? I want to ask you about your declaration for your daughter how did you do it?and If canda immigration office accepted it or no because i have the same problem.

sallam_ah

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
Hello brother,how are you? I want to ask you about your declaration for your daughter how did you do it?and If canda immigration office accepted it or no because i have the same problem.
Hi there, as I stated in my original post because English is not an official language in my country, I did another declaration with the same context and signed it in a notarization office back home and luckily they accept it.

Reactions: aldododo

aldododo

Aug 24, 2016
Hi there, as I stated in my original post because English is not an official language in my country, I did another declaration with the same context and signed it in a notarization office back home and luckily they accept it.
Very good, congratulation,but I just need to know if you submitted a custody proof papers or not?because it is written on their page if the parents are divorced you should have a custody paper.thank you very much for your response