+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Imm5532 and 5533e

Silka

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
Hi

My wife came to Pakistan on 2 months visit, she is going back next month. We are completing form which have ambiguity. Hope i will get help from here.

Here are the confusions

In form imm5532e there is question
Part A
6. Residence in Canada
Do you live in Canada now ?
Yes or No
Part B
3. Are you living together now? Yes or No

If No explain why ?

2. Are you ( the sponsor ) a Canadian citizen living outside Canada ?
Yes or No

Though she is here only on visit. We have her job letter and return tickets. But we want to file case in next 3 to 4 days and she will be here for next 30 to 40 days.

So what could be the answers. Any help will be highly appriciated.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
You are applying as an outland application, I take it. Then these aren't really ambiguous, though they may look like it.

If she's visiting, she's not residing in Canada. So no, she's not "living" in Canada, she's just visiting you. If she has moved to Canada and does not intend to leave, then she is living in Canada.

If she is not permanently living with you, then you are not living together. Why? Because she lives somewhere else, is applying as an outland applicant, and will move to Canada when she is allowed to move to CAnada.

Are you yourself a citizen living outside Canada? That would be easy to answer - are you a citizen and do you live in Canada?

Silka

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
You are applying as an outland application, I take it. Then these aren't really ambiguous, though they may look like it.

If she's visiting, she's not residing in Canada. So no, she's not "living" in Canada, she's just visiting you. If she has moved to Canada and does not intend to leave, then she is living in Canada.

If she is not permanently living with you, then you are not living together. Why? Because she lives somewhere else, is applying as an outland applicant, and will move to Canada when she is allowed to move to CAnada.

Are you yourself a citizen living outside Canada? That would be easy to answer - are you a citizen and do you live in Canada?
My wife is citizen and she is sponsoring me. Currently she is in Pakistan for visit. So we should assume that yes she is living in Canada not Pakistan ? This is what i understand from your answer ?

Your saying i should select Yes sponsor Canadian citizen living Outside Canada.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Will she submit the application when she is back in Canada next month? That would be easiest.

Then you say that she is living in Canada. You are not living together. She would then be a citizen living in Canada.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
If you submit saying that she is living in Pakistan, CIC will ask for documentation and plans on returning to Canada, even though she is just visiting. If her permanent residence is in Canada, then say that.

Silka

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
If you submit saying that she is living in Pakistan, CIC will ask for documentation and plans on returning to Canada, even though she is just visiting. If her permanent residence is in Canada, then say that.
She is canadian citizen and we have her job letter and confirm return ticket.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
That's great. Do you have an immediate need to submit this application from Pakistan? She absolutely will be returning back to Canada next month? Submit it from Canada. Fill in the questions saying she lives in Canada. It will be so much easier.

If you say that she is living in Pakistan right now - unless she does not live in Canada at all - you are complicating your application.

paint.thinner

Star Member
Jan 16, 2015
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2014
Nomination.....
November 2014
AOR Received.
January 2015
Med's Request
November 2015
Med's Done....
November 2015
Passport Req..
December 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 2015
From my understanding, the wife is a Canadian citizen who currently has a job in Canada and is currently on vacation, travelling in Pakistan to visit her husband. She is definitely not a resident of Pakistan and does not live in Pakistan at all, even though she is in Pakistan at the moment and even if she is in Pakistan at time of submitting the spousal sponsorship application.

I live in Canada and if I travel to Jamaica for a two-week vacation and while I am there, someone asks me "where do you live?" - I wouldn't say "I am living at the hotel near the beach" - I would instead say "I live in Canada". If someone asks me "where are you staying?" - yes I would say "the hotel near the beach".

Your wife is currently travelling in Pakistan but she lives in Canada and is a resident of Canada. She even has a job in Canada. The following is how I would answer the questions:
  • Do you live in Canada now ? Yes
  • Are you living together now? No If No explain why ? Because I live and work in Canada while my husband lives (and works/goes to school?) in Pakistan
  • Are you ( the sponsor ) a Canadian citizen living outside Canada ? No
If you plan on submitting the application while she is with you in Pakistan, submit her return tickets showing that she will be returning to Canada soon. If she wants, she can also submit the application once she is back in Canada. I don't think it makes much of a difference anyway.

Guys, this is what I think. I may be wrong. This is just my opinion

Reactions: Silka

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

My wife came to Pakistan on 2 months visit, she is going back next month. We are completing form which have ambiguity. Hope i will get help from here.

Here are the confusions

In form imm5532e there is question
Part A
6. Residence in Canada
Do you live in Canada now ?
Yes or No
Part B
3. Are you living together now? Yes or No

If No explain why ?

2. Are you ( the sponsor ) a Canadian citizen living outside Canada ?
Yes or No

Though she is here only on visit. We have her job letter and return tickets. But we want to file case in next 3 to 4 days and she will be here for next 30 to 40 days.

So what could be the answers. Any help will be highly appriciated.
Yes, she lives in Canada.

No, she is not living with you and then explain she is visiting.

No, she is not a citizen living outside of Canada. She lives in Canada.

It's perfectly fine to give these answers and submit the app from Pakistan.