+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5491 - Document Checklist - Box #19 - (Minimum Required Income)

Brandon_L

Nov 10, 2012
Hello there!

I had a quick question about supporting documents concerning a minimum necessary income requirement for the sponsor.

My Canadian wife (sponsor) and I have no children. The permanent residence application is just for me. She was born in Canada.

Does she still have a minimum required income? And if not, can we simply skip this step?

Thank you very much for helping out!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Re: IMM5491 - Document Checklist - #17 - Minimum Required Income

There is no minimum required income to sponsor a spouse, but you must still include the Option C asked for in #17.

The reason is that the visa officer wants to see that the sponsor can support the sponsored person. No minimum income is necessary, but the Option C will show if the sponsor was on welfare, for example. People are not usually rejected because of a too low income, but they can be. If her income is very low, include a plan with your application explaining how you two will support yourselves. For example, she could get a letter from her parents saying they will let the two of you live rent-free in their house until you get a job, or she could explain that she will be graduating soon and is expecting to get a job as a ______; whatever your situation is.

Brandon_L

Nov 10, 2012

canadianwoman said:
There is no minimum required income to sponsor a spouse, but you must still include the Option C asked for in #17.

The reason is that the visa officer wants to see that the sponsor can support the sponsored person. No minimum income is necessary, but the Option C will show if the sponsor was on welfare, for example. People are not usually rejected because of a too low income, but they can be. If her income is very low, include a plan with your application explaining how you two will support yourselves. For example, she could get a letter from her parents saying they will let the two of you live rent-free in their house until you get a job, or she could explain that she will be graduating soon and is expecting to get a job as a ______; whatever your situation is.
Thank you kindly for your reply!

She is currently working full time as a barista, so I suppose that won't be a problem. However, I actually meant 'document' #19, not #17. 17 is where you call the Canada Revenue Agency, so I guess that's easy to get. #19(a) asks for pay stubs for the last 12 months, and #19(c) for evidence of interest income. (which is also asked in #18- Proof of income ?)

I guess, more concretely my question would be, if she provides an original Option C Printout (as asked for in box #17), do we still have to bother with that wall of text within box #19 on IMM5491?
Since it begins with "IF you must meet the minimum necessary income requirements...".

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013

Brandon_L said:
Thank you kindly for your reply!

She is currently working full time as a barista, so I suppose that won't be a problem. However, I actually meant 'document' #19, not #17. 17 is where you call the Canada Revenue Agency, so I guess that's easy to get. #19(a) asks for pay stubs for the last 12 months, and #19(c) for evidence of interest income. (which is also asked in #18- Proof of income ?)

I guess, more concretely my question would be, if she provides an original Option C Printout (as asked for in box #17), do we still have to bother with that wall of text within box #19 on IMM5491?
Since it begins with "IF you must meet the minimum necessary income requirements...".
If you have option C, then just write "N/A" next to the check boxes :)