+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5476 Use of a representative - spouse's signature required?

discus

Mar 3, 2015
I am Canadian and sponsoring my Japanese wife for permanent residency from outside of Canada. She wants to appoint me as her representative to deal with CIC and her application. On IMM5476, in section B, #8, I understand that as the person being appointed as her representative, I have to sign here. However, in section D, right next to "signature of applicant", it asks for signature of spouse (if applicable). What does "if applicable" mean in this case? I am not part of her permanent residency application at all. She is the sole applicant; I am her sponsor/spouse. She is the one appointing me to be her representative, so why would I need to sign to appoint myself? Even if my wife were appointing a 3rd party to be her representative, I still don't understand why my signature would be necessary. I am not applying to go to Canada with her as her spouse. If in fact my signature is required, why is it? It doesn't make sense at all to me that it would be. I've heard about applications being returned for unnecessary signatures, so I don't want to sign unless I know that I have to.

Sorry for the somewhat long explanation. Thanks for any insights you can offer!

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
By signing, you are declaring that the information in Section B is correct and, that you understand and accept that you are being so appointed. Your wife signs for obvious reasons.

Good idea. We ended up not needing it, but we did the same.

discus

Mar 3, 2015
truesmile said:
By signing, you are declaring that the information in Section B is correct and, that you understand and accept that you are being so appointed. Your wife signs for obvious reasons.

Good idea. We ended up not needing it, but we did the same.
I understand that, but what I don't understand is about section D. I don't know why it asks for signature of spouse (if applicable). In what cases would the spouse of the applicant have to sign?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
In a case where Sponsor and applicant appoint a paid representative(lawyer). This was the case for us - on my own IMM5476, I signed under "applicant" and my hubby under "spouse" - this was attached to the Sponsor forms.

For my husband's IMM5476, he signed under "applicant" and me under "spouse" - this was attached to the applicant forms. This enables the lawyer to do business with CIC on our behalf.

discus said:
I understand that, but what I don't understand is about section D. I don't know why it asks for signature of spouse (if applicable). In what cases would the spouse of the applicant have to sign?

discus

Mar 3, 2015
SenoritaBella said:
In a case where Sponsor and applicant appoint a paid representative(lawyer). This was the case for us - on my own IMM5476, I signed under "applicant" and my hubby under "spouse" - this was attached to the Sponsor forms.

For my husband's IMM5476, he signed under "applicant" and me under "spouse" - this was attached to the applicant forms. This enables the lawyer to do business with CIC on our behalf.
Ah, OK. So you mean that since my wife (the applicant) is appointing me (the sponsor) as her unpaid representative (and we aren't dealing with a lawyer at all), I don't have to sign even though I am her spouse? Where it says "if applicable" in section D, does that basically mean if both the applicant and sponsor are authorizing a 3rd party (like a lawyer) to act on their behalf? And that if I were to sign there, it might cause a problem and the entire application being returned?

Reactions: Little Pharaoh

Little Pharaoh

Jan 16, 2018
Ah, OK. So you mean that since my wife (the applicant) is appointing me (the sponsor) as her unpaid representative (and we aren't dealing with a lawyer at all), I don't have to sign even though I am her spouse? Where it says "if applicable" in section D, does that basically mean if both the applicant and sponsor are authorizing a 3rd party (like a lawyer) to act on their behalf? And that if I were to sign there, it might cause a problem and the entire application being returned?
Hello Discus,
I have the same question. May I ask you if you signed section B (as representative) D (as spouse) or you signed only section B (as in your case you do not have a 3rd party representative.
Thanks

Aakash Evans

Sep 22, 2014
Query on IMM 5476:

Can the sponsor be the representative? I know the sponsor can. But the complete guide says the following:

If the person you’re sponsoring is living outside Canada and is 18 years of age or older, and your address in Canada is provided as their mailing address on the application for permanent residence (IMM 0008), the principal applicant (person you’re sponsoring) must complete a Use of Representative form listing you as their representative.

In this case, do i need to change the form IMM 0008 address of my spouse as my (Sponsor) Canada address?

May 3, 2018
Hi, I am having the same issue here.
I am sponsoring my husband and I will be his representative. It doesn't seem to make much sense to sign as the representative and as the spouse, but I feel like it's better to sign at both places, even those it does sound like a lot of red tape.

Aakash, for IMM OO08, I think you need to put the address of the representative in CURRENT MAILING ADDRESS and the PA address in Residential address.

You can do a search in the complete guide using those terms "you must provide their address in this section and on
the Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) form." for more info.

epanda

May 31, 2018
I also have the same question. I'm sponsoring my wife and signed section B and she signed section D. However I'm not sure if I need to sign section D because on the guide it says : For sponsorship application, your spouse or common-law partner does not have to complete a separate request. If your spouse or common-law partner is included in this request, he or she must sign in the box provided.

As the representative and spouse, am I "included" in this request? Do I need to sign SECTION D?

epanda

May 31, 2018
Anyone can help me? I've looked in others threads and some say I don't need to sign, other say they did.

Shoobert

Aug 1, 2018
I also have the same question. I'm sponsoring my wife and signed section B and she signed section D. However I'm not sure if I need to sign section D because on the guide it says : For sponsorship application, your spouse or common-law partner does not have to complete a separate request. If your spouse or common-law partner is included in this request, he or she must sign in the box provided.

As the representative and spouse, am I "included" in this request? Do I need to sign SECTION D?
It would make sense to sign section D along with your wife. I do not see what harm that would do, however if you did not sign the section and it was required, then the form would be considered incomplete. If you look at the wording in section D, it is just a reiteration of section B ensuring you answered everything truthfully and fully, and a place for your wife to acknowledge that. The way I see it, there is no harm in reiterating what you have already agreed to with your signature in section B. The alternative is that you failed to sign a section and they will see that as as missing information and return your application. I hope that makes sense and helps some.

MohamedWalid

Oct 27, 2017
Query on IMM 5476:

Can the sponsor be the representative? I know the sponsor can. But the complete guide says the following:

If the person you’re sponsoring is living outside Canada and is 18 years of age or older, and your address in Canada is provided as their mailing address on the application for permanent residence (IMM 0008), the principal applicant (person you’re sponsoring) must complete a Use of Representative form listing you as their representative.

In this case, do i need to change the form IMM 0008 address of my spouse as my (Sponsor) Canada address?
Yes, Change only the mailing address to the sponsors Canadian addres, and leave the residential address to where (the principal applicant) currently live.