+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM3999E - SECURITY REQUIREMENTS

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
Hello all,

Well, it has been a while that I haven't written. Very busy collecting documents. I have few questions left to finish my application, but main question is about the police certificates.

In Immigrants Guide there is a statement for security requirements as written below;

"For each country in which you or your family members have lived for more than six months during the past 10 years, you must provide a police certificate, clearance or record of no information."

I accompanied my sponsoring wife in South Korea while she had a job. And because I am married to her, Korean government issued me a F3 type residency permit, allowing me to reside with her as long as she resides in Korea. (Some countries are nicer about these things.) I came back to Turkey for my exams or travelled to Canada for couple of months in between. Technically, although I was issued 1 year permits for each time, I never stayed in Korea more more than 4 months. Should I still provide Korean version of Police certificate (Criminal History Information Record) for my stays in Korea. This has been a difficult task for me. Because It has been 3 years since I left Korea and when I call Korean Embassy in Turkey and ask them if they can get this document ready for me, they basicly tell me they have no clue about this kind of document.

Any help is appreciated.

Best wishes and good luck to all.

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hi Chelidio

I'm not sure if you are you saying that in total you didn't spend more than 4 months there or that each stay was less than 4 months?

I suspect if you accumulated more than 6 months there in a short period of time CIC will probably require the CHIR (eg 3 months there, 1 month out, 2 months there, a few weeks out, 3 months there etc.)

If you're doing an out-land application perhaps you can call the consulate that will be processing your file and ask them to confirm it for you? I've found speaking with the consulate directly to be much more helpful than calling CIC.

If you do need the CHIR and the consulate in Turkey is not being helpful, I would suggest having a look at the website for the South Korea National Police Agency here http://www.npa.go.kr/main/index.do. I can't find an English version but if your wife has been working there perhaps this is not a problem? I assume they are the ones would actually supply the certificate so maybe there is information somewhere on this page that might help you - or perhaps another member of this forum will know.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
Hi Gdaymate,

Well I thought in a similar way. I stayed more than 6 months in total ofcourse and tried to acquire the police certificate. You can't get an answer to any question from Canadian Embasy in Turkey. They walk with a broom stick unfortunately. You can't call them and talk to them. They use a automated answering system and will answer your faxes or e-mails when they feel like it. It is very frustrating. You have to be a Canadian to get any kinda service, or forget about it. And the embassy is 6 hours away from where I live, so it is two days trip to get any answer.

However people in Korean Embassy is very friendly and helpful, I believe I will get what I need from them, even if it takes sometime. If I can't come up with any solution, I will contact Korean police. Thank you for your two bits in the topic.

Wish you a great day.