+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5533 Proof of Relationship/Visits Question

delzed

Mar 18, 2021
Howdy, folks. My wife and I are wrapping up my application for her to sponsor me for PR status via the family class category. I'm doing our proof of relationship and proof of visit documents (section 7 in "Supporting Documents for Sponsored Persons" on IMM 5533). I was hoping to get some input on whether or not my approach to each of these sort of open-ended sections is a good one.

For the proof of relationship document, there is a limit of ten pages. Most of the communications between my wife and I over the last three and a half years has been through Discord, and mostly using the voice call feature there. We have pretty silly screen names there, so the first page of my document is us saying, in a Discord text chat "this Discord account belongs to [our first and last name] at [our address as stated in the rest of the documents]." That way there is a tie between our identities and these silly handles.

The next 3 pages or so are random messages from Discord, and then the last 6 pages are just call logs, two from each month we've been together. All these logs and messages are date-stamped, so I'm trying to show that we have had pretty constant contact over the years, even if the details of those conversations can't really be shown. Do you think this will be enough? Should I approach it another way?

Similar question for the following requirement on IMM 5533. We are supposed to show proof of visits between us. I was going to include records from the border agencies of us leaving/entering Canada when our trips were happening. On my government's page, I can't get a record of her travel. I enter her information and it doesn't come up. This is strange because I've seen her travel history on this page before...anyway, on the Canadian side, that webpage indicates that you shouldn't request that information from CBSA for a visa application because the agency already has the information you'd be sending in.

In light of this I was thinking I would just screenshot parts of receipts for the air travel associated with each trip. I could download and include the entire email/receipt for each trip, but those emails tend to be very long. Do you think receipts are enough for this requirement, and would you advise against either clipping (incomplete) screenshots into a master PDF or against sending the entire bulk of airline receipts as part of our package?

Thanks a bunch :)

Huntingwhale

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
When I sent proof of my trips to visit my wife in various places, I included the flight itinerary that was sent to my email from the airline. I also opened the PDF document in Adobe to highlight our names, the dates of the flights, destinations, and payment methods (I paid for both our trips, so this showed financial support towards her).

I also included receipts/confirmation from the hotels or apartments we stayed at. Again, I highlighted the dates, city/country, cost/method of payment, and either both our names or where it says the number of guests (2).

I didn't pull any information from any government websites confirming having departed or arriving in any country (honestly hadn't thought of that). I think it was enough to show the flight and hotel receipts to show we both went to the same locations and stayed together. It was a lot of travel receipts that I included, but that's why I highlighted them so that it would be easy to catch the eye of the officer and they wouldn't be reading an entire page to track down names or numbers.

I also wrote a letter about our trips which referenced information that was included on each of the travel receipts, which tied everything together. I talked about each trip and talked about which airports we departed/arrived at, which hotels we stayed at, dates, who paid, etc.

I sent my travel receipts as a bulk. It was a lot for sure. I thought about clipping sections, but most of the receipts had the information I was looking to highlight (names, dates, costs, locations) on separate pages. I worried it might be too much, and perhaps others have done different. But we got our AOR and seem to have passed the completeness check. In our case, it worked (finger's crossed).

Reactions: delzed

delzed

Mar 18, 2021
Thanks for the reply! I'm glad that worked- I think I'll do something similar. I've already put together a document with clippings of each travel receipt. This summarized version takes up about 7 pages. I think I'll include the full receipts in the package after that packet, and explain why both are there. Good luck on the rest of your process!

Reactions: Huntingwhale