+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5533 / Employment and Source of Income (sponsor has no job, applicant part-time)

delzed

Mar 18, 2021
Hi there,

I'm having trouble with a question from the IMM 5533 checklist document. The sponsor is asked to either provide documents from their employer or explain how they will support their spouse if they don't have an employer. My situation is a little tough, so I'm wondering if someone could give me some tips on how to explain it.

Basically, my wife (the sponsor) can't work. She's brilliant, but she has a health problem that makes most entry-level jobs impossible and she's in school right now, so that's her focus. She lives with family. I was in school up until January and am now in the process of moving into a full-time position at my place of work, where I've been part-time for a few months. Before this I've basically been in school with one or two part-time jobs going since 2018.

I'd like to indicate that I have every intention of supporting myself and her, working full time as soon as possible after landing in Canada. I can show pay stubs, but they'll be my part-time wages. Should I wait until I have a more substantial stub to include? Her family has indicated they'd support both of us while she completes her studies if needed. We don't plan on taking them up on this, but is there a way to include that contingency? Would it be helpful?

Thanks for your help!

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Your income will be of no signifcance... as the onus is on the sponsor to support the PA for 3 years. She should provide a detailed letter explaining how she will support you when you arrive. Note, she cannot be in receipt of social assistance or have declared bankruptcy.

mmannana

Star Member
Mar 16, 2021
i think on the application form it states that you do not need to meet the financial requirements unless if the person being sponsored has dependents of his own .in your case that will be her step kids and for sure they want an explanation of how she will support you and she shouldnt be on welfare and filed bankruptancy .Good luck

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
theres no minimum income requirement the governemnt is more concerned about how you will support yourself then having you make a significant amount of money granted you have no children or other dependents.

delzed

Mar 18, 2021
I understand that they are concerned specifically with her ability to support me, but what does this mean for our application? Should we not apply until she is established with a job years down the line, after her schooling? If not, what documents/explanation should we include for this question? Is it legitimate for her to simply include a letter that says, "My husband works full time, he can support himself. My family will support us if something unexpected happens. Neither of us will request social assistance at any point"?

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
I understand that they are concerned specifically with her ability to support me, but what does this mean for our application? Should we not apply until she is established with a job years down the line, after her schooling? If not, what documents/explanation should we include for this question? Is it legitimate for her to simply include a letter that says, "My husband works full time, he can support himself. My family will support us if something unexpected happens. Neither of us will request social assistance at any point"?
You have a couple of options here I think. Do you have savings or investments? If yes, you can show that and indicate that this will be used to support you until you become employed. I know IRCC is asking about the ability of the sponsor to support the PA but as a couple your assets belong to you both in most cases so if you will sell property or a car or cash in a pension plan before you leave your home company and can show documents to prove that, then this will help.

The second option is for her parents to sign on as co-sponsor. You do not need to take them up on it as you say, it's just for the purposes of the application especially since they've indicated they will help out if necessary.

delzed

Mar 18, 2021
You have a couple of options here I think. Do you have savings or investments? If yes, you can show that and indicate that this will be used to support you until you become employed. I know IRCC is asking about the ability of the sponsor to support the PA but as a couple your assets belong to you both in most cases so if you will sell property or a car or cash in a pension plan before you leave your home company and can show documents to prove that, then this will help.

The second option is for her parents to sign on as co-sponsor. You do not need to take them up on it as you say, it's just for the purposes of the application especially since they've indicated they will help out if necessary.
I have only about a thousand dollars in a bank account and a car worth around $8,000. Would you recommend documentation of both? Do you think we'd be alright given that, without a co-sponsor? As much as her family is willing to lend their support, I'd rather not have them legally responsible for my expenses for a period of years.

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Yes. Just show bank statement and car valuation and indicate that you wife is currently at school and until you become employed you'll have the funds from the sale of your car and savings to fall back on. If your wife have savings she should show that as well

Reactions: Usa2canada<3

delzed

Mar 18, 2021
Yes. Just show bank statement and car valuation and indicate that you wife is currently at school and until you become employed you'll have the funds from the sale of your car and savings to fall back on. If your wife have savings she should show that as well
Great, thank you for the advice!