+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

imm 5532 Part A page 2 Q6 Residence in Canada

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Hi everyone! I am a Canadian who has been living in Japan since 1997. I moved my family to Canada in Aug 2017. However, I still work in Japan. I am sponsoring my wife who lives in Canada with our three children.
I am not sure what to answer Question 6 under Residence in Canada.
When did you last live in Canada? I wrote August 1997.

When do you plan to return to Canada to resume residence? I do not know what to write here because I do not know when I plan to do that. I filed my income tax for 2017 with CRA for the first time in a long time for tax purposes. I plan on continuing to work in Japan to provide for my family so....

Where do you plan to live when you return to Canada? Again I am not sure. Maybe in Toronto.

Can you adise me please?

Thank you very much!

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
Hi everyone! I am a Canadian who has been living in Japan since 1997. I moved my family to Canada in Aug 2017. However, I still work in Japan. I am sponsoring my wife who lives in Canada with our three children.

When do you plan to return to Canada to resume residence? I do not know what to write here because I do not know when I plan to do that. I filed my income tax for 2017 with CRA for the first time in a long time for tax purposes. I plan on continuing to work in Japan to provide for my family so....

Where do you plan to live when you return to Canada? Again I am not sure, looks bit diff Q . Maybe in Toronto.

Can you adise me please?

Thank you very much!
James I already replied to this Q in diff thread asked by you? but OK may be ask here as it sounds bit diff Q than other..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Where do you plan to live when you return to Canada? Again I am not sure. Maybe in Toronto.

Can you adise me please?

Thank you very much!
The simple fact is that you likely won't approved if you aren't moving back to Canada. IRCC will request proof that you will return to live in Canada once the app is processed. Your tax residency is irrelevant to that.

Also, from your previous posts, you seem to be applying inland with an OWP. That is not an option when you are not living in Canada.

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
The simple fact is that you likely won't approved if you aren't moving back to Canada. IRCC will request proof that you will return to live in Canada once the app is processed. Your tax residency is irrelevant to that.

Also, from your previous posts, you seem to be applying inland with an OWP. That is not an option when you are not living in Canada.
That is shocking to hear that I won't be approved for not knowing when I will return to Canada. What if I wrote within 2 years. I need to close my business and move back. Will that work?
Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That is shocking to hear that I won't be approved for not knowing when I will return to Canada. What if I wrote within 2 years. I need to close my business and move back. Will that work?
Thank you!
It shouldn't be shocking, as it is stated in the guide. The app will likely be done within a year, so IRCC is unlikely to accept 2 years.

You can become a sponsor if you are:
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident,
  • at least 18 years old
  • living in Canada:
    • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017

It shouldn't be shocking, as it is stated in the guide. The app will likely be done within a year, so IRCC is unlikely to accept 2 years.

You can become a sponsor if you are:
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident,
  • at least 18 years old
  • living in Canada:
    • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
Thank you for the information! What do I need to submit that shows my intention to move back. I will try to speed up the process by moving back next July. you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.

Thanks!

James

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for the information! What do I need to submit that shows my intention to move back. I will try to speed up the process by moving back next July. you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.

Thanks!

James
You should show proof that you are wrapping up your life in Japan, i.e. selling house/belongings, transferring assets, closing your business. You can write a solid plan of re-establishing yourself in Canada, bringing your business to Canada etc. Show communication with family/friends about returning.

And make sure you are applying outland, for which there is no OWP option.

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
From what I am hearing, it doesn't sound good for me. My wife and kids are in Canada and are waiting for me. My wife has the application and I have already paid for the application $1040 plus $255 for the OWP but I guess my wife won't be eligible for it! That means she will just have to stay put and stay bored until she gets status in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
From what I am hearing, it doesn't sound good for me. My wife and kids are in Canada and are waiting for me. My wife has the application and I have already paid for the application $1040 plus $255 for the OWP but I guess my wife won't be eligible for it! That means she will just have to stay put and stay bored until she gets status in Canada.
Your other option is to put off applying. Your wife can continue to extend her visitor status and there is no issue for your Canadian kids. Once you know when you will be able to return to Canada, you can apply.

Request a refund for the $255 OWP fees. The receipt for the $1040 PR fees will stay valid.

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Hi! Thank you all who have given advice to me! In the coming days, I intend to inform my boss that I am returning to Canada. Last year I moved my family to Canada and rented a place for them. I will be staying there. Can I use the rental contract to act as proof that I am serious about coming back to Canada? I also filed with CRA and paid taxes for 2017.

James

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi! Thank you all who have given advice to me! In the coming days, I intend to inform my boss that I am returning to Canada. Last year I moved my family to Canada and rented a place for them. I will be staying there. Can I use the rental contract to act as proof that I am serious about coming back to Canada? I also filed with CRA and paid taxes for 2017.

James
The rental contract can be a part of it but given the length of time you have been Outside of Canada, proofs of leaving Japan are probably the best. The fact that you filed taxes doesn't really mean much, as your family living in Canada likely makes you a resident for tax purposes anyways.

Reactions: James W

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Hi! Can someone detail what I need to prove to the Canadian government that I am returning to Canada? As I had mentioned, I rented a place for my family in Canada and filed with CRA. Should I provide a copy of emails from my family and friends in Canada acknowledging my return?

Thank you!

James

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi! Can someone detail what I need to prove to the Canadian government that I am returning to Canada? As I had mentioned, I rented a place for my family in Canada and filed with CRA. Should I provide a copy of emails from my family and friends in Canada acknowledging my return?

Thank you!

James
Search the forum. There are a lot of threads about this topic.

Does anyone know how much Canada Visa charge to handle a case like mine?

Thanks!
No point in getting a lawyer. Your case is pretty straightforward and a lawyer can't provide you with proof that you are returning to Canada.