+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5406 confusion

katiecs

Sep 21, 2017
I'm a Canadian citizen, applying to sponsor my American common-law partner for PR status.

As his common-law partner, I know that I have to fill out my own version of the IMM 5406 ("Additional Family Information") form. We have no children. However - and this might be a stupid question - I'm confused about how to fill it out. Under "Applicant," I obviously put his name, and under "Common-law partner," I put mine. However, on my version of the form, under "Mother" and "Father" -- is it asking for HIS parents' information, or my parents' information?

Also, if he and I each fill out our own copy of this form, how will immigration officials be able to tell whose is whose? There's no spot on the form that asks who is filling it out.

Thanks in advance!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I'm a Canadian citizen, applying to sponsor my American common-law partner for PR status.

As his common-law partner, I know that I have to fill out my own version of the IMM 5406 ("Additional Family Information") form. We have no children. However - and this might be a stupid question - I'm confused about how to fill it out. Under "Applicant," I obviously put his name, and under "Common-law partner," I put mine. However, on my version of the form, under "Mother" and "Father" -- is it asking for HIS parents' information, or my parents' information?

Also, if he and I each fill out our own copy of this form, how will immigration officials be able to tell whose is whose? There's no spot on the form that asks who is filling it out.

Thanks in advance!
The form is for the applicant only.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
The sponsor must fill out and sign these forms:
The person being sponsored must fill out and sign these forms:

katiecs

Sep 21, 2017
The form is for the applicant only.
Really? I'm confused because in the description at the top, it says "The principal applicant, their spouse or common-law partner (if applicable), and all dependent children must complete their own copy of this form".
Am I not included as his common-law partner in this case because I'm also his sponsor?

Thanks for your help!!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Really? I'm confused because in the description at the top, it says "The principal applicant, their spouse or common-law partner (if applicable), and all dependent children must complete their own copy of this form".
Am I not included as his common-law partner in this case because I'm also his sponsor?

Thanks for your help!!
The wording is confusing. See my post above from CIC website

katiecs

Sep 21, 2017
The sponsor must fill out and sign these forms:
The person being sponsored must fill out and sign these forms:
Ahh, gotcha! Thank you!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Ahh, gotcha! Thank you!
For my husband and I...as the sponsor as his wife, my information went into that second box where it says spouse (I think it's the second).

I did not fill one out.

March 1 outland Irish applicants.

The guide online is helpful to clarifying some of these things.

Reactions: KandyK

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It is because this form is used for other classes of immigrants, ones where both the husband and wife are immigrating. In that case, both fill out the form.
For spousal sponsorships, the Canadian citizen or PR sponsor does not fill out this form. In essence, the 'if applicable' applies to you - you are not applicable.

Reactions: KandyK

aa1225mh

Dec 21, 2018
I'm a permanent resident, applying to sponsor my father for PR status.
I know that my father has to fill out the IMM 5406 ("Additional Family Information") form. However - my mother is also required to fill out this form as the spouse of my father- I'm confused about how to fill it out. On the version of my father, under "Applicant," I obviously put the name of my father as the principal applicant. However, on my mother version of the form, under "Applicant" whose name must be written?
Thank you in advance,

Reactions: Kuldeep_Singh

Kuldeep_Singh

Dec 31, 2017
I'm a permanent resident, applying to sponsor my father for PR status.
I know that my father has to fill out the IMM 5406 ("Additional Family Information") form. However - my mother is also required to fill out this form as the spouse of my father- I'm confused about how to fill it out. On the version of my father, under "Applicant," I obviously put the name of my father as the principal applicant. However, on my mother version of the form, under "Applicant" whose name must be written?
Thank you in advance,
I have the exact problem like aa1225mh described here, do we have answers to this confusion ?

Armiti

Apr 30, 2018
Hello Guys.
I am confused about IMM 5406.For Principal Applicant I put my parents name in section A.Section B would be my brother and I who are older than 18 and not independent.I live in Canada and my brother in Europe.I was wondering if I have to fill out another IMM 5406 for my brother who consider as a child ( 37 year old)but not dependent?

If yes, where should I put his name? He is not main applicant.

Armiti

Apr 30, 2018
I am the sponsor.If I have to add my brother name where should I write his name.He is not applicant.

Thanks Guys.

Chad4lyphe

Jul 28, 2019
I am the sponsor.If I have to add my brother name where should I write his name.He is not applicant.

Thanks Guys.
Only pa fill out this form they don't need the sponsor family information example, like sibling parents and also children form the sponsor they only require it on this form for the person being sponsor the principal applicant is family information

Last edited:
Reactions: Armiti

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello Guys.
I am confused about IMM 5406.For Principal Applicant I put my parents name in section A.Section B would be my brother and I who are older than 18 and not independent.I live in Canada and my brother in Europe.I was wondering if I have to fill out another IMM 5406 for my brother who consider as a child ( 37 year old)but not dependent?

If yes, where should I put his name? He is not main applicant.
The principle applicant and the spouse of the PA has to complete
  • complete the Additional Family Information [IMM 5406]
This is copied from the guide
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html
Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
This form must be completed by:

• You, as the principal applicant, (you here means the PA, i.e. assuming that's your dad)
  • Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and (I think this is your mom)
  • Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not). (none according what you posted here)
SECTION A
Write the personal details for:
  • yourself,
    • If you are married and you were physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – physically present” in the marital status box
    • If you are married and you were not physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – not physically present” in the marital status box
  • your spouse or common-law partner, (if applicable)
    • If you are married and your spouse was physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – physically present” in the marital status box
    • If you are married and your spouse was not physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – not physically present” in the marital status box
  • your mother, and
  • your father.
SECTION B
Write the personal details for your children. It is very important that you list all of your children (even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada). This includes:

• married children,
  • adopted children,
  • children of your spouse(step-children) or common-law partner,
  • any of your children who have been adopted by others,
  • any of your children who are in the custody of an ex-spouse, former common-law partner or other guardian.
You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, answer “N/A”.

SECTION C
Write personal details about your:

• brother(s),
  • sister(s),
  • half-brother(s) and half-sister(s),
  • step-brother(s) and step-sister(s).
SECTION D
After carefully reading the statements contained in this section, sign and date the declaration.

So just fill each form assuming you are THAT person. Like put in your dad as you, then "your spouse" for your dad is your mom. Then the section B about "your children" is all children of your dad (including you). And so as siblings info in section C (your uncles and aunites)...
Repeat that for a copy of IMM 5406 for your mom.

This is ADDITIONAL family information. So since these forms are for the same application, some information is repeated. People listed in this form is for IRCC information. NOT that they will be included in the immigration application. (except PA and his spouse)

Last edited:
Reactions: Umidjon90

Armiti

Apr 30, 2018
The principle applicant and the spouse of the PA has to complete
  • complete the Additional Family Information [IMM 5406]
This is copied from the guide
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html
Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
This form must be completed by:

• You, as the principal applicant, (you here means the PA, i.e. assuming that's your dad)
  • Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and (I think this is your mom)
  • Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not). (none according what you posted here)
SECTION A
Write the personal details for:
  • yourself,
    • If you are married and you were physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – physically present” in the marital status box
    • If you are married and you were not physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – not physically present” in the marital status box
  • your spouse or common-law partner, (if applicable)
    • If you are married and your spouse was physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – physically present” in the marital status box
    • If you are married and your spouse was not physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – not physically present” in the marital status box
  • your mother, and
  • your father.
SECTION B
Write the personal details for your children. It is very important that you list all of your children (even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada). This includes:

• married children,
  • adopted children,
  • children of your spouse(step-children) or common-law partner,
  • any of your children who have been adopted by others,
  • any of your children who are in the custody of an ex-spouse, former common-law partner or other guardian.
You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, answer “N/A”.

SECTION C
Write personal details about your:

• brother(s),
  • sister(s),
  • half-brother(s) and half-sister(s),
  • step-brother(s) and step-sister(s).
SECTION D
After carefully reading the statements contained in this section, sign and date the declaration.

So just fill each form assuming you are THAT person. Like put in your dad as you, then "your spouse" for your dad is your mom. Then the section B about "your children" is all children of your dad (including you). And so as siblings info in section C (your uncles and aunites)...
Repeat that for a copy of IMM 5406 for your mom.

This is ADDITIONAL family information. So since these forms are for the same application, some information is repeated. People listed in this form is for IRCC information. NOT that they will be included in the immigration application. (except PA and his spouse)
Yes.Thanks I read that, but the problem is section B.
PA children is my brother ( independent and live in Europ), and I ( live in Canada-Who is sponsoring parents).The question is if My brother has to fill out IMM5406 as PA child separately , in new IMM 5406 or not?
He is not dependent, He is not main applicant...... I do not want to sponsor him.If I he fills out this form for him self he should put his name as a main applicant which is not true.