+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5406 confusion

Annayana

May 25, 2022
Hello,

Confused about IMM 5406 (Additional Family Information) for Principal Applicant's spouse information (section A).
I am sponsoring my Mom (Principal Applicant) for the Parents and Grandparents Program.
My parents are divorced and my Mom has a divorce certificate. We don't have a connection or other information about my Dad.

Does she have to fill out the information about her ex-husband or not?
If yes, what should she fill-in? She only knows his name and date of birth but doesn't know his married status and contact information.

Thanks for the help.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

Confused about IMM 5406 (Additional Family Information) for Principal Applicant's spouse information (section A).
I am sponsoring my Mom (Principal Applicant) for the Parents and Grandparents Program.
My parents are divorced and my Mom has a divorce certificate. We don't have a connection or other information about my Dad.

Does she have to fill out the information about her ex-husband or not?
If yes, what should she fill-in? She only knows his name and date of birth but doesn't know his married status and contact information.

Thanks for the help.
She enters divorced and if she's not married now, she's not married and doesn't include information about her former spouse.

If in doubt (and may be a good idea): include short letter of explanation that parents divorcred, whereabouts of former spouse unknown, you are not sponsoring your father. Include a copy of divorce certificate.

Note, not an expert about PGP but it is straightforward that if not married, she has no current spouse.

Reactions: Annayana and YVR123

Annayana

May 25, 2022
She enters divorced and if she's not married now, she's not married and doesn't include information about her former spouse.

If in doubt (and may be a good idea): include short letter of explanation that parents divorcred, whereabouts of former spouse unknown, you are not sponsoring your father. Include a copy of divorce certificate.

Note, not an expert about PGP but it is straightforward that if not married, she has no current spouse.

Annayana

May 25, 2022

Thank you so much.)

I absolutely, agree with you.
Should she put N/A in the spouse line?

maricar.lala

Apr 2, 2011
NO! Very important. Married - not physically present means you were not present when you married, ie marriage by proxy. Application will get refused.

Read the instructions carefully.
For conjugal sponsorship, should the applicant put the previous wife in the spouse’s information or the one who’s sponsoring him as his conjugal parter?

maricar.lala

Apr 2, 2011
100% you should not do THAT
Ok, so just the sponsor’s name then as the conjugal partner, right? And what marital status should the PA select (for himself) from the options? Legally separated or Conjugal Partner? Really appreciated the response. Thank you!

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok, so just the sponsor’s name then as the conjugal partner, right? And what marital status should the PA select (for himself) from the options? Legally separated or Conjugal Partner? Really appreciated the response. Thank you!
If you're applying as conjugal partner, common sense suggests that.

Likely will need to include a letter of explanation about the marriage in pH that can't be ended. This is not that uncommon (possibly most common type of conjugal app).

Reactions: maricar.lala

maricar.lala

Apr 2, 2011
If you're applying as conjugal partner, common sense suggests that.

Likely will need to include a letter of explanation about the marriage in pH that can't be ended. This is not that uncommon (possibly most common type of conjugal app).
Thank you! Would be including a letter for sure!

lysanora

Oct 15, 2020
I'm a Canadian citizen, applying to sponsor my American common-law partner for PR status.

As his common-law partner, I know that I have to fill out my own version of the IMM 5406 ("Additional Family Information") form. We have no children. However - and this might be a stupid question - I'm confused about how to fill it out. Under "Applicant," I obviously put his name, and under "Common-law partner," I put mine. However, on my version of the form, under "Mother" and "Father" -- is it asking for HIS parents' information, or my parents' information?

Also, if he and I each fill out our own copy of this form, how will immigration officials be able to tell whose is whose? There's no spot on the form that asks who is filling it out.

Thanks in advance!
I was just as confused but then I realized they put "as applicable" for the spouse in the case that a Canadian/PR family member is sponsoring an applicant and their spouse. In my case, and also yours, since the spouse is the sponsor then only the principal applicant needs to fill IMMM5406. I know this post is 5 years old but I am hoping this helps anyone who was confused like myself.

Kacy999

Sep 19, 2023
OK great I did fill it out online initially but then they’re requesting IMM 5406 again so this time it will be paper-based pdf so if I print out another form what should I do with the section A and B just leave it blank and continue with the Section C?
Hello… I’m having a similar issue now. Did you have to fill out a separate form with section A and B included or did you just continue section C in a blank paper… I’m pretty stuck too