+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5406 confusion

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes.Thanks I read that, but the problem is section B.
PA children is my brother ( independent and live in Europ), and I ( live in Canada-Who is sponsoring parents).The question is if My brother has to fill out IMM5406 as PA child separately , in new IMM 5406 or not?
He is not dependent, He is not main applicant...... I do not want to sponsor him.If I he fills out this form for him self he should put his name as a main applicant which is not true.
Your brother DOES not have to fill out a new IMM 5406!!!
His name need to be included in section B of both your dad and your mom's IMM 5406. The corresponding section of PA and PA's spouse's form are filled in by PA and PA's spouse (i.e. you as them). NOT by the person that's mentioned that the section.

ONLY "Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not). (none according what you posted here)" - this is for dependent (i.e. under 22) but over 18 to fill out their own IMM 5406.

And your brother is 37, so NOT a dependent and do not need to fill in his own IMM 5406.

Reactions: Armiti

Umidjon90

Jun 22, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
The principle applicant and the spouse of the PA has to complete
  • complete the Additional Family Information [IMM 5406]
This is copied from the guide
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html
Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
This form must be completed by:

• You, as the principal applicant, (you here means the PA, i.e. assuming that's your dad)
  • Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and (I think this is your mom)
  • Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not). (none according what you posted here)
SECTION A
Write the personal details for:
  • yourself,
    • If you are married and you were physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – physically present” in the marital status box
    • If you are married and you were not physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – not physically present” in the marital status box
  • your spouse or common-law partner, (if applicable)
    • If you are married and your spouse was physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – physically present” in the marital status box
    • If you are married and your spouse was not physically present at the marriage, indicate “married – not physically present” in the marital status box
  • your mother, and
  • your father.
SECTION B
Write the personal details for your children. It is very important that you list all of your children (even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada). This includes:

• married children,
  • adopted children,
  • children of your spouse(step-children) or common-law partner,
  • any of your children who have been adopted by others,
  • any of your children who are in the custody of an ex-spouse, former common-law partner or other guardian.
You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, answer “N/A”.

SECTION C
Write personal details about your:

• brother(s),
  • sister(s),
  • half-brother(s) and half-sister(s),
  • step-brother(s) and step-sister(s).
SECTION D
After carefully reading the statements contained in this section, sign and date the declaration.

So just fill each form assuming you are THAT person. Like put in your dad as you, then "your spouse" for your dad is your mom. Then the section B about "your children" is all children of your dad (including you). And so as siblings info in section C (your uncles and aunites)...
Repeat that for a copy of IMM 5406 for your mom.

This is ADDITIONAL family information. So since these forms are for the same application, some information is repeated. People listed in this form is for IRCC information. NOT that they will be included in the immigration application. (except PA and his spouse)
Thank You @YVR123,

My question is about married (physically not present) part. So, I (sponsor) and my wife (PA) are married but we are not living together ( I am in Canada and my wife abroad). So should we select married - not physically present?

Thanks in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank You @YVR123,

My question is about married (physically not present) part. So, I (sponsor) and my wife (PA) are married but we are not living together ( I am in Canada and my wife abroad). So should we select married - not physically present?

Thanks in advance
NO! Very important. Married - not physically present means you were not present when you married, ie marriage by proxy. Application will get refused.

Read the instructions carefully.

Umidjon90

Jun 22, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
NO! Very important. Married - not physically present means you were not present when you married, ie marriage by proxy. Application will get refused.

Read the instructions carefully.
I see, thanks, we were both physically present while signing marriage contract. So I should choose Married-physically present although we are not living together now. Thanks You! Another thing is we have not had our wedding yet (due to cultural reasons). We will do the wedding upon visa approval once we are able to begin living together. Hope that won't be an issue.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I see, thanks, we were both physically present while signing marriage contract. So I should choose Married-physically present although we are not living together now. Thanks You! Another thing is we have not had our wedding yet (due to cultural reasons). We will do the wedding upon visa approval once we are able to begin living together. Hope that won't be an issue.
Expectations from IRCC about wedding vs civil can vary by country/culture and length/type of relationship, etc, esp where an arranged marriage. I won't guess about your situation.

Reactions: Umidjon90

asieh

Mar 17, 2021
I have the exact problem like aa1225mh regarding filling the 5406 form for my parents..for filling out the 5406 from for my dad as spouse of main applicat(my mom) who should we put in first raw as applicant? could you please help me in this probelm..thank you

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
"Please provide a current, completed and signed Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) for the Principal Applicant and all dependents aged 18 and over, whether accompanying or not. Each individual must sign their own copy of this form by hand."
Inquiring for my friend who is sponsoring her parents. I am confused by "Each individual must sign their own copy of this form by hand.". They have 4 independent children aged over 18 including the sponsor. Does this mean that every child has to fill a copy of the 5406 (6 copies) or just two copies from PA and the spouse?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Mojojo

Mojojo

Apr 13, 2019
"Please provide a current, completed and signed Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) for the Principal Applicant and all dependents aged 18 and over, whether accompanying or not. Each individual must sign their own copy of this form by hand."
Inquiring for my friend who is sponsoring her parents. I am confused by "Each individual must sign their own copy of this form by hand.". They have 4 independent children aged over 18 including the sponsor. Does this mean that every child has to fill a copy of the 5406 (6 copies) or just two copies from PA and the spouse?
Thanks in advance.
FOLLOWING SAME QUESTION!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks in advance.
Only dependents aged 18 and over need to fill and sign IMM 5406. (see underlined text above)

Mojojo

Apr 13, 2019
Only dependents aged 18 and over need to fill and sign IMM 5406. (see underlined text above)
How do we add additional sheet for siblings section. Is it just blank paper or another form. What if we don’t know emails and addresses of siblings.
please help :)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
How do we add additional sheet for siblings section. Is it just blank paper or another form. What if we don’t know emails and addresses of siblings.
please help :)
I do not know how to do it ONLINE. Back then, we just print an extra form and continue on filling in the information. If you do not know the email addresses or if they don't have emails, just put N/A if the field allows. You can always attach a letter of explanation to explain anything that's "missing" or unknown or best guessed.

Mojojo

Apr 13, 2019
I do not know how to do it ONLINE. Back then, we just print an extra form and continue on filling in the information. If you do not know the email addresses or if they don't have emails, just put N/A if the field allows. You can always attach a letter of explanation to explain anything that's "missing" or unknown or best guessed.
OK great I did fill it out online initially but then they’re requesting IMM 5406 again so this time it will be paper-based pdf so if I print out another form what should I do with the section A and B just leave it blank and continue with the Section C?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
OK great I did fill it out online initially but then they’re requesting IMM 5406 again so this time it will be paper-based pdf so if I print out another form what should I do with the section A and B just leave it blank and continue with the Section C?
For the extra ten minutes of work, it is far more prudent to complete the entire form.