+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 1344 question

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hi all,

Recently I saw something that made me go back and check my form IMM 1344.

Under the part where it asks for the date you entered into the common-law relationship, I wrote in '11/08/2017'. I sent my application off around 10/08/2018.

So either I put the wrong date in initially, or I got confused, as I understood it back then that the date you 'become common-law' is a year after co-habiting together, where we had actually been living together since 11/08/2016. It didn't occur to me at the time that this would technically suggest we had been living together for 10 months at the time I sent the application, but in all other forms and letters and documents it states that I had been living with my girlfriend since 11/08/2016. Pay-stubs and tax declarations have my address as my partners from well before 11/08/2017.

Is this something I can send in a webform with an explanation as it worries me a little now.

We haven't received Sponsor approval or Applicant approval yet and are still in the background check stage, so I am hoping I might be able to amend this.

Thanks and appreciate your input.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can try to raise a case-specific inquiry. Hopefully the visa officer will see it was a mistake based on the fact that the other documents you submitted say that the relationship started in 2016.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If you said you have been living together since 2016, you didn't become common law until a year later, so you did not become common law until 2017. No need to worry.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
If you said you have been living together since 2016, you didn't become common law until a year later, so you did not become common law until 2017. No need to worry.
Yes, we have been living together since Nov 2016, but on the form where it asks when we entered a common-law relationship, I put that as Nov 2017, as I think my understanding was that you are only common-law after a year of living together, which would make Nov 2017 the date we 'officially' became common-law, but I am afraid that the question is basically asking when we started living together. If this is what it means, then by putting 'Nov 2017' would imply that we 'officially' became common-law Nov 2018, a month after I submitted my forms thus suggesting we have only been living together for 11 months.

I could be massively overthinking or misunderstanding (and I really hope I am, but it came to me suddenly and got me in a panic!)

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Sorry, I re-read your comment and understood what you were saying a bit better. So the common-law date it asks for does imply the date that is a year after you started co-habiting?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You don't enter into a common-law relationship until you have been living together continuously for a year. A simpler explanation would be, a couple doesn't automatically become common-law as soon as they start living together.

The question asks when you have entered into a common-law relationship, not when you started living together.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
You don't enter into a common-law relationship until you have been living together continuously for a year. A simpler explanation would be, a couple doesn't automatically become common-law as soon as they start living together.

The question asks when you have entered into a common-law relationship, not when you started living together.
Right so I should be okay then. I got really worried for a minute! I often do this to myself :p