+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 1344, 9. Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?

gapkick

Oct 10, 2021
As in the heading, my question is on the IMM 1344, 9. Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?

I am a Canadian citizen who is sponsoring my wife for Family Class Sponsorship. I was previously in a common-law relationship between 2001 to 2006 with ex-partner. The question asks about *From and *To date of the relationship.
I went through all my records and emails and found out *From date however, I don't know the *To date except it's in 2006. Ex-partner and I were away from each other at the time, we didn't see each other and separated naturally.
I emailed ex-partner to find out about the separation date and she does not know what she put down as it was a long time ago except we both know it was 2006. She advises that an estimate as to when it ended is acceptable.

What can I put in the *To 2006-**-**? I know the year but don't know the MM and DD as I and my ex-partner both don't know except for the year 2006 as it was a long time (more than 15 years) ago. Should I put down an estimate and explain it's an estimate as it was a long time ago in a separate paper?

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Should I put down an estimate and explain it's an estimate as it was a long time ago in a separate paper?
This is the most straightforward way.

As for choosing a specific date, since you were common law, you could also use the date you stopped living together - hopefully that's easier to define.

But if some other date makes more sense, just put that and explain.

gapkick

Oct 10, 2021
Thank you so much for your help! It really is amazing we could get the kind of help like this. Thank you! :)