+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 1000 and permanent residency

Phil M

Feb 15, 2019
My family was granted permanent residency in Canada back in 1996 and we landed Canada with our IMM 1000. As the wage level was much higher back in my home country, my family had to move back to make a living, but we all longed to return to Canada when we have the ability.

We have been away from Canada for over 20 years. My wife and I are now granted permanent residency through express entry. The only problem would be my mom who is too old to take care of herself. We wish to take her with us but we are afraid that she would be adjudicated and lose her permanent resident status upon entry of Canada using her IMM1000 as she did not meet the requirements of stay.

We understand that there is a scheme for sponsoring parents to Canada, but the income requirements may be too high for us to reach as we enter Canada with no job and not many assets. We are wondering if my mom's IMM 1000 and her permanent residency status can be of use in any way for such case.

Is it legal for my mom to enter Canada with her home country passport as a visitor, and stay in Canada as a permanent resident? Will she be able to apply for a health card using her IMM 1000? Will she be granted PR card after staying in Canada for two years? In the event that she loses her permanent resident status, can she appeal on humanitarian grounds that she is too old to take care of herself back in home country?

Much appreciate your help on this matter.