+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IM5440 Form Questions

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
I have a few questions about some of the things asked for in the IM5440 form.

Question 7 asks about current employment, I have been at my current job for over 12 years. The form doesn't seem very conducive to this possibility as it is asking for the dates from and to. From is easy (12 years ago). But what do I put as an end date but still giving the impression that I am working? Any date I give looks fishy. Is this question even relevant for Quebec residents?

Question 14 asks when the applicant has met my friends and family. In some cases there are so many times and on top of which I can't remember the first time. Did you put the first time, each time, the most recent time?? And how many did you put?

Question 15 asks if I have children. I have a daughter. As for visitation rights, I have 40% shared custody and 60% child support. Do I put that? Would it help to put the divorce agreement?

Question 17 asks if I have been divorced before. I am recently divorced. It asks for the length of relationship. Would it make sense to put when we met and when we were separated?

Thanks for any insight you can give me. I might be going through jitters as this is my first time filling out these forms. I want to make sure the process doesn't hang up on something stupid.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
costaudjoe said:
I have a few questions about some of the things asked for in the IM5440 form.

Question 7 asks about current employment, I have been at my current job for over 12 years. The form doesn't seem very conducive to this possibility as it is asking for the dates from and to. From is easy (12 years ago). But what do I put as an end date but still giving the impression that I am working? Any date I give looks fishy. Is this question even relevant for Quebec residents?

We just left it blank (if you can) and wrote in PRESENT in big capital letters :)

Question 14 asks when the applicant has met my friends and family. In some cases there are so many times and on top of which I can't remember the first time. Did you put the first time, each time, the most recent time?? And how many did you put?

I just put the first time and filled up that little block. I know he's met more but it just looks better when it's full to me!

Question 15 asks if I have children. I have a daughter. As for visitation rights, I have 40% shared custody and 60% child support. Do I put that? Would it help to put the divorce agreement?

It would help if you put a copy of the divorce agreement yes.

Question 17 asks if I have been divorced before. I am recently divorced. It asks for the length of relationship. Would it make sense to put when we met and when we were separated?

Yes, that's pretty much what they are asking :)

Thanks for any insight you can give me. I might be going through jitters as this is my first time filling out these forms. I want to make sure the process doesn't hang up on something stupid.
Breatheee! That's the most important part haha. Good luck! :)

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Thanks for the suggestions. I will start working on them right away!

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
As for your first two questions. I was reluctant to leave blanks so for the "TO" date I put the same date we were submitting/signing all the papers. As to number of friends and family met, we put "two" - that's ALL it was and incidentally the date easy for us to figure.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Thanks Truesmile! I thought about putting the date we filled out the application. But when I look at it, it just gives the appearance that my current job is finished. I might just choose a random date in the future beyond the application period...

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you can leave it blank. You can write PRESENT there when you are filling out online. Blank should mean the job is still ongoing...