+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

im tired of Ontario!

chibiks

Apr 12, 2010
basically it seems if you have less than 3 years experience in IT, expect only 56-61k absolute maximum. even in engineering you will be lucky to get above 62k as entry level and thats if it even gets to that level. is it right to conclude there are no jobs in ontario or that wages are just not that high? my expectation as an entry level electronics/ instrumentation and control person or even telecom is 70k minimum. i would have moved west but the thing is edmonton is just dead and calgary too but i wont be happy in these places. if you were in my shoes will you accept less pay for more comfort or move west for more money?
NB: I just switched careers from IT to engineering.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chibiks said:
basically it seems if you have less than 3 years experience in IT, expect only 56-61k absolute maximum. even in engineering you will be lucky to get above 62k as entry level and thats if it even gets to that level. is it right to conclude there are no jobs in ontario or that wages are just not that high? my expectation as an entry level electronics/ instrumentation and control person or even telecom is 70k minimum. i would have moved west but the thing is edmonton is just dead and calgary too but i wont be happy in these places. if you were in my shoes will you accept less pay for more comfort or move west for more money?
The answer varies from person to person, depends on your risk tolerance and level of comfort.

For you I will say forget Ontario, forget moving West, East or North. The only way to move should be south of the Border, to USA. The land of the free and home of the brave. I have seen many of my friends move South of the border and make more than double of what they would be making here. Its really nice to see they are able to provide for their family without having to do 3 jobs and work from dawn till dawn just to pay for car insurance, home, bills, grocery and taxes. They do 1job, the job they went to school for and have work experience for and actually have extra money in their hands to have fun and also save

I am in the process of doing the same. But make sure you get the Canadian passport first. Good luck

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
newtone said:
The answer varies from person to person, depends on your risk tolerance and level of comfort.

For you I will say forget Ontario, forget moving West, East or North. The only way to move should be south of the Border, to USA. The land of the free and home of the brave. I have seen many of my friends move South of the border and make more than double of what they would be making here. Its really nice to see they are able to provide for their family without having to do 3 jobs and work from dawn till dawn just to pay for car insurance, home, bills, grocery and taxes. They do 1job, the job they went to school for and have work experience for and actually have extra money in their hands to have fun and also save

I am in the process of doing the same. But make sure you get the Canadian passport first. Good luck
Hi,

Can a person who has some canadian experience say of 1-year apply for jobs in US or do we need any special approvals for the same?

Im a future prospective student of canadian college for PG. Just want to know more on jobs front.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New_Aspirant said:
Hi,

Can a person who has some canadian experience say of 1-year apply for jobs in US or do we need any special approvals for the same?

Im a future prospective student of canadian college for PG. Just want to know more on jobs front.
Whatever you do, get your Canadian passport first. I know the process will be very painful but its a short term pain for long term gain. Once you get the passport you it will be much easier to get work permit for USA.

I cant speak for everyone but the only reason I will move to USA is because in Canada you pay highest taxes, low wages, highest auto and home insurance and highest fees for goods and services. This leaves you with only pennies at the end of the month for your family. Now the government is eliminating pennies because its expensive to produce.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian PR is not the same as Canadian Passport. PR is only permanent resident, and you can also loose your PR if you dont physically live in Canada for a certain number of days.

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
Yes i understand that. So one will be eligible to apply for Canadian Passport only if has a canadian PR. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you have to first fulfill the conditions of PR before you apply for Citizenship.

Guacamole

Nov 20, 2012
chibiks said:

I moved west for the money, I was a supervisor for 32K in Ontario, in Alberta I was a techinician for 90k+, less responsabilities, work harder butway better money, it depends on what do you want...

buiatti

Jan 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guacamole said:
I moved west for the money, I was a supervisor for 32K in Ontario, in Alberta I was a techinician for 90k+, less responsabilities, work harder butway better money, it depends on what do you want...
Hey Guacamole, did you get to move to Alberta before you started applying for jobs, or have you got a job before you move?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
chibiks said:
You are lucky you have a job at least....i have over 8 years experience with a reputable Global telecommunications company, and landed last month in toronto - so far i applied to over 50 jobs and got no response whatsoever...not even 1 phone call, even when applying to lower level jobs....!!!

If i were you - i'd go for the money (wherever it is), as long as you have the canadian experience "thing" you should be able to get some decent offers elsewhere.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
I am in the same situation. Landed one week ago. Applying 3 jobs a day - all entry level - but no response. However, I am not surprised - I expected this even before I applied for immigration. Most jobs are arranged by contact and I have none.
Will apply to survival jobs in April.

emamabd said:
You are lucky you have a job at least....i have over 8 years experience with a reputable Global telecommunications company, and landed last month in toronto - so far i applied to over 50 jobs and got no response whatsoever...not even 1 phone call, even when applying to lower level jobs....!!!

If i were you - i'd go for the money (wherever it is), as long as you have the canadian experience "thing" you should be able to get some decent offers elsewhere.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Ketevan said:
I am in the same situation. Landed one week ago. Applying 3 jobs a day - all entry level - but no response. However, I am not surprised - I expected this even before I applied for immigration. Most jobs are arranged by contact and I have none.
Will apply to survival jobs in April.
its really an unfortunate & expected situation..., but its ok to do survival jobs to protect the savings while still trying to get a decent job. I'm also considering doing an MBA degree ...although it costs a fortune..

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Do you think an MBA would help? Most private sector employers that I checked are looking for college diploma holders with 5-10 years of experience. I already spent fortune on doing MSc and PhD and at the end got no job.
If I ever go to school again, it will be vocational school that provides work placement.

emamabd said:
its really an unfortunate & expected situation..., but its ok to do survival jobs to protect the savings while still trying to get a decent job. I'm also considering doing an MBA degree ...although it costs a fortune..