+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm sorta in debt....

mousikia

May 20, 2010
So i'm Canadian and i'm marrying my Albanian boyfriend in September. I want to sponsor him and get him PR, yadda yadda, basically get him to Canada so we can make beautiful babies...

I just have a question. I am sort of in debt. I owe VISA about $5000 and I also owe Revenue Canada money from my 2008 taxes which I JUST filed and realized I owe them.

I also have really bad credit due to not paying my bills on time.

Will this affect my outcome sponsoring my (future) husband? Will I be ineligible of sponsoring him?
I don't want to have a co-signer, I want to do it on my own.

Thanks so much!! :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mousikia said:
So i'm Canadian and i'm marrying my Albanian boyfriend in September. I want to sponsor him and get him PR, yadda yadda, basically get him to Canada so we can make beautiful babies...

I just have a question. I am sort of in debt. I owe VISA about $5000 and I also owe Revenue Canada money from my 2008 taxes which I JUST filed and realized I owe them.

I also have really bad credit due to not paying my bills on time.

Will this affect my outcome sponsoring my (future) husband? Will I be ineligible of sponsoring him?
I don't want to have a co-signer, I want to do it on my own.

Thanks so much!! :)
1. No, unless you declare bankruptcy.
2. Spousal applications can't have co-signers.

mousikia

May 20, 2010
Oh good, so even if I owe Canada Revenue Agency like $1600 they won't decline my sponsorship?

Not all the government agencies work together? I know that sounds like a stupid question.. haha

No i've never declared bankruptcy I just owe some money. I intend to eventually pay it off, slowly....

sidjocson

Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila Visa Office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
They can't reject/decline your application as long as you have a job. Get a Certificate of Employment and send it CPC-M along with your application kit so they know that you're employed.

B

buddhadimple

Actually this is interesting.

I owe Revenue Canada money too, although I have been paying it (sending a cheque in pounds sterling to my Canadian account and then paying electronically from there) gradually. I just did my 2009 return and they owe me just over $300 which will pay off the rest of my debt... however, it looks like they've been crediting my account with BC GST and Climate Action credits while I've been in England so I'll probably have to pay that back at some point :(

AAAANYway, I just quit my job. Technically, I was made redundant and then put into a different position which made me miserable and far too stressed out so I left. I'm looking for something temporary since we're planning on getting this application in soon.

Should I make sure I'm employed before we submit it? I've left that section of the application blank (work history) so that I can put the up-to-date work history in at the point that we actually submit the application.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
I think you CAN get approved if the sponsor is unemployed but you have to explain and say that you are looking for employment and will find it soon. I believe there is a space for this on the app. I do think it would probably be better to have a job first, though.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
my husband is unemployed and was approved

I

iarblue

You can not owe the government in anyway shape or form if you owe on taxes it must be paid before you sponsor.Its right in the requirements no back child support no back taxes read before you apply.You dont have to be employed you can be on unemployment but you must pay your taxes and child support to date.

javcil

Star Member
Mar 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/01/2010
AOR Received.
01/03/2010
File Transfer...
04/02/2010
Med's Done....
11/12/2009
Interview........
21/04/2010
Passport Req..
21/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
22/04/2010
LANDED..........
16/07/2010
I was approved for sponsorship in early Feb. I owed the government for an (apparent) overpayment they had made to me for the BCCAD and Child Tax Credit. Maybe because it was a small amount, they didn't care about it ... but regardless, it wasn't an issue for me.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
.Its right in the requirements no back child support no back taxes read before you apply.

Bull poo! That isn't what is stated. Prove me wrong; please, reference this requriement.

I

iarblue

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

•failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
•defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
•received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
•were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
•defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
•are in prison or
•have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.
Other factors not included in this list might also make you ineligible to sponsor a relative.

What do you think the other factors are.
They request that you can support the spouse you are bringing in it does not say you have to meet a requirement but do you think they are going to let you sponsor if you owe back taxes ill find the spot that speciffically states this but you can read this for now

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
I highly doubt they would be vague about something like that. It would be stated quite explicitly.

I

iarblue

You can not be in debt with the government for money while sponsoring,you can not owe social assistance for money owed,you can not owe for other apps that were placed and you can not owe taxes.I know i read it because you have to make sure all your taxes are to date on your option C and for what reason do you think this is.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

•failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
•defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
•received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
•were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
•defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
•are in prison or
•have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Legally, they aren't able to make a claim against you unless there is a judgement against you. Otherwise, any amount the government believes it is owed is disputable. If they denied your sponsorship without this judgement, you would have a strong case for appeal, and a strong case for a claim for damages against the government.