+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm ready to apply for PR, but I have some questions to double-check

bluesocks79

Jun 13, 2014
What are we applying for?

- Common-law PR
: we've been both living in Ontario, should we apply In-land or Out-land? I know Out-land has a shorter wait time, but, what if we get called for the interview?

- 1 Year Work Permit for the applicant
: Are we supposed to fill-in the regular Work Permit form and just send the application WITH the PR application, in the same envelope?

Basic information about us

Sponsor:
- Naturalized-citizen of Canada since about 20 years ago.

Applicant:
- South Korean citizen, been living in Canada since 2003 as..
International student, Foreign Worker, and currently a visitor with implied status (applied to extend my visitor visa).

- We have been living together under the same address for 14 months so far.

- No additional family members such as children.

- No representative for the application.

Here's a list of documents we've prepared:

Sponsor:

- Canadian citizenship card

- Record of Landing

- Option C for 2014 (2015 tax reports are not filed yet)

- Canadian Passport

- Currently no income except for online store sales here and there, which might be insufficient until the Sponsor finds a job.
Are we supposed to add a letter, explaining what we, or the Sponsor alone, plans to do with the income to support the Applicant?
Because our plan is to create a harmonized income to support ourselves.

- Sponsor had multiple jobs previously until 2015, and decided to focus on personal work for one year.

Applicant:

- South Korean Passport

- Latest copy of visa / implied status

- Crime records from South Korea (Korean / English) - Photocopy

- Birth certificate from South Korea (Certified translation done) - with the original copy

- 2 copies of photos of the Applicant

For Both of us

- Joint bank account (screenshot of our online account and balance statement)

- Jointly signed Residential Lease Agreement

- CRA website screenshot of the Sponsor's account, showing that her status is Common-Law relationship with the Applicant

- 4 letters of declaration from our family member and friends who are Canadian Citizens. 2 of them are notarized.

- Photo evidences of us from Facebook, friends, personal shots and so on that proves we've been in a relationship for 5 years.

- SMS messages, and etc. But this only indicates one person's name most of the time. I'm not certain if this is useful.

Additional questions about the Application package:

- When we have fields in the form that we cannot fill in, should we just put "N/A"?

- Some forms like Additional Family Information has nothing to do with us, do we still send this form filled with "N/A" in every fields?

- What do we do about the Yes or No boxes if we can't answer because it doesn't apply to us? (i.e, Co-Signer stuff. Should we just put a huge "N/A" on the paper?)

- UCI / Client ID for the Sponsor, how do we find this out? The Sponsor is just a Naturalized-Citizen of Canada

- On the form Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking, on Page 3, they ask for "Applicant's Name", does this mean the Applicant or the
Sponsor? The question is still continuing from Page 2, about the Sponsor. Why is it suddenly asking for the Applicant's name on every single page? Who are they talking
about? Which Applicant?

- Does "Current Undertaking" include the Applicant of the Sponsor? Or is it just about children and parents?

Lastly, We are using

Guide 3999 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada

from CIC, and the following are the listed documents:

- Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) (PDF, 496.57 KB)
- Additional Dependants/Declaration (PDF, 424.19 KB)
- Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) (PDF, 776.39 KB)
- Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) (PDF, 570.00 KB)
- Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire (IMM 5490) (PDF, 139.87 KB)
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) (PDF, 648.31 KB)

Are these correct? Are we missing any documents?

Thank you so much for reading such a long wall of text, and I hope you could help us out for finalizing our application!

Cheers!

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
Well if you're applying outland the work permit is of no use. You don't get a work permit when applying outland.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you're applying outland, and then seperately applying for a work permit. But of course that would require LMIAs and months and months of gearing up for.

bluesocks79

Jun 13, 2014
canadausa#11 said:
Well if you're applying outland the work permit is of no use. You don't get a work permit when applying outland.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you're applying outland, and then seperately applying for a work permit. But of course that would require LMIAs and months and months of gearing up for.

Right, that's good to know! We're going to apply for In-land for sure then!

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
I would think long and hard about that, you're looking at waiting 4-5 months for the work permit, but remember the whole PR process could take 2 years.

Gemmie

Nov 10, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2015
AOR Received.
30-06-2015/SA 17-08-2015
File Transfer...
20-08-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
23-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
21-01-2016
Before you decide, look around the forum and find the statistics on outland processing times for your
visa office. It could be that outland is much faster or takes a long time.I am unsure of the time frames
but for some , Inland is a very good option especially if they have been here for many years to start with
and have no desire to travel and wish to work during the process. If you go inland , send the OWP with the application
as it does take about 4 months to receive.

I think you would still need an emergency health care plan.

Good luck on your application in whatever path you choose.

labeamer

Jul 30, 2014
-you don't need screenshot from CRA. The Option C should state marital status.
-you don't need sponsor's landing document and citizenship certificate. A valid canadian passport should do.
-when they talk about 'applicant,' they are referring to the person being sponsored.
-current undertaking should be 0. They are asking if the sponsor still responsible for previously sponsored spouse or dependent child.

hope that helps.

bluesocks79

Jun 13, 2014
Gemmie said:
Before you decide, look around the forum and find the statistics on outland processing times for your
visa office. It could be that outland is much faster or takes a long time.I am unsure of the time frames
but for some , Inland is a very good option especially if they have been here for many years to start with
and have no desire to travel and wish to work during the process. If you go inland , send the OWP with the application
as it does take about 4 months to receive.

I think you would still need an emergency health care plan.

Good luck on your application in whatever path you choose.

Thanks a lot. We'll definitely do Inland for sure!

bluesocks79

Jun 13, 2014
labeamer said:
-you don't need screenshot from CRA. The Option C should state marital status.
-you don't need sponsor's landing document and citizenship certificate. A valid canadian passport should do.
-when they talk about 'applicant,' they are referring to the person being sponsored.
-current undertaking should be 0. They are asking if the sponsor still responsible for previously sponsored spouse or dependent child.

hope that helps.

Great! That definitely scratched many itches I had :)
Thanks a lot for helping out

bluesocks79

Jun 13, 2014
Could someone confirm on these questions, if they know, please?

- When we have fields in the form that we cannot fill in, should we just put "N/A"?

- Some forms like Additional Family Information has nothing to do with us, do we still send this form filled with "N/A" in every fields?

- What do we do about the Yes or No boxes if we can't answer because it doesn't apply to us? (i.e, Co-Signer stuff. Should we just put a huge "N/A" on the paper?)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
bluesocks79 said:
Could someone confirm on these questions, if they know, please?

yes
yes - every applicant (not the sponsor) is required to do the additional family information form. it is not optional. it is for the applicant to disclose their family in the chance those people end up applying for immigration in the future. do not forget to fill out this form. if it's not submitted the application will be considered incomplete.
yes - anytime something does not apply to you it's always best to put N/a in the box or over the entire page. not doing so can be interpreted as missing or incomplete information. handwrite it anywhere the computer will not let you enter it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't forget to list step relatives (siblings, parents). If you don't know the whereabouts of someone, just include a short note explaining this.

CIC needs to know who the other family members are, even if they have no interest in ever stepping foot into Canada...ever.

Mightytonewheel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-08-2016
File Transfer...
02-08-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-13-2016
I don't know how others on this forum feel about this, but I researched and hired an immigration consultant to review our applications. Although our applications were in very good shape, she reviewed the whole thing and caught a few small (but important) items. She met with me and walked me through a number of other details that were very very helpful, and then walked me through what would happen next. The total cost was about $750 or something. In my mind, it was well worth it.

I'm sure that many people have mixed feelings about immigration consultants, but in my case, I found a really good one and I felt it was money well spent. I wanted to avoid a huge oversight that might significantly delay the application.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is always a personal choice, but as long as you feel that it was a good investment...that's all that matters.

Would you care to share the few small mistakes that were found?

Mightytonewheel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-08-2016
File Transfer...
02-08-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-13-2016
Ponga said:
This is always a personal choice, but as long as you feel that it was a good investment...that's all that matters.

Would you care to share the few small mistakes that were found?
Sure.

The most egregious mistake was that we failed to include a police certificate for the 3-year period she lived in China. A major oversight on my part -- I can't explain why I missed this. But she caught it. And because it's taken us months to acquire it, her catch probably saved us months of delay.

The consultant spotted small gaps in my wife's residency history, and other similar small timeline gaps. Her list of cousins living in Canada did not provide enough contact information. The names of schools she attended were not complete. She recommended reference letters from friends and family. She verified the procedure for validating and printing the application. She verified how to calculate my "net personal income" over the preceding 12 months. She verified that my son is considered an undertaking. For residency and employment history, I put the date of the wedding as the "TO" date, but she recommended printing it out and handwriting "PRESENT". She verified the documents that I needed to get translated, and the documents I didn't. Blah, blah, blah.

She also noted that one of the forms had very, very recently been updated.

She actually provided a two-page list of stuff like that. Some of it verified what I already knew; some of it was recommendations or suggested improvements for clarity, some of it was minor errors or omissions. When I got her list, I just went through each one and made sure it was corrected.

I agree that it's a personal choice, but we wanted to make sure the application was as good as it could be, and we wouldn't likely encounter any snags. So for us, it was money well spent. (Knock on wood.)