+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm not sure if I need co-op work permit in this situation

seung2613

Mar 18, 2017
Hi, I'm an international student in canada. so there are 2 work practicum courses as a part of regular full time courses ( which is not a official co-op or work practicum program.). It's just one of the full-time courses that students have to work with clients without getting paid.
We have been never told that we need a co-op work permit when we got accepted into this program first.
That said, recently International student office contacted everyone that we should get a co-op work permit for those courses coming up next terms.
Our program head had no idea whatsoever before, and all the grads never had to apply for the co-op work permit too.
Do you think I should go to the port of entry to get the co-op work permit in this situation?
it wouldn't hurt me to apply but it will costs me time and money, and also, i only have 3 months before one of the project courses starts. Wouldn't it be worse if I can't get the permit in time?
from the information I got so far by asking around visa agencies, so long as i can stay in the program and the school let me participate in those courses, I don't have reason to apply for those permits.
The only reason International office center want us to get the permit is, I think, to avoid responsibility when there's a problem when we apply for PGWP. but it's not likely that they will do audit if we had any work practicum without permits.
I don't know what to do.
Thanks.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi, I'm an international student in canada. so there are 2 work practicum courses as a part of regular full time courses ( which is not a official co-op or work practicum program.). It's just one of the full-time courses that students have to work with clients without getting paid.
We have been never told that we need a co-op work permit when we got accepted into this program first.
That said, recently International student office contacted everyone that we should get a co-op work permit for those courses coming up next terms.
Our program head had no idea whatsoever before, and all the grads never had to apply for the co-op work permit too.
Do you think I should go to the port of entry to get the co-op work permit in this situation?
it wouldn't hurt me to apply but it will costs me time and money, and also, i only have 3 months before one of the project courses starts. Wouldn't it be worse if I can't get the permit in time?
from the information I got so far by asking around visa agencies, so long as i can stay in the program and the school let me participate in those courses, I don't have reason to apply for those permits.
The only reason International office center want us to get the permit is, I think, to avoid responsibility when there's a problem when we apply for PGWP. but it's not likely that they will do audit if we had any work practicum without permits.
I don't know what to do.
Thanks.
Which college, what program ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
A work practicum may still be considered employment. The international office must have some reason for providing you with this advice. Unless someone here has a solid answer - as in, they did a work practicum - I would phone IRCC.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
A work practicum may still be considered employment. The international office must have some reason for providing you with this advice. Unless someone here has a solid answer - as in, they did a work practicum - I would phone IRCC.
You require a letter from the college to apply for co-op work permit. If they have given them that letter, then OP has no choice but to apply. If they haven't given such a letter, and are still asking them to apply for co-op, then they are incompetent.

Only problem is time, currently processing time for Co-op permit is 98 days, and OP only has 90 days.Applying for it at the port of entry might be he only option in that case.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You require a letter from the college to apply for co-op work permit. If they have given them that letter, then OP has no choice but to apply. If they haven't given such a letter, and are still asking them to apply for co-op, then they are incompetent.

Only problem is time, currently processing time for Co-op permit is 98 days, and OP only has 90 days.Applying for it at the port of entry might be he only option in that case.
Yes, but OP says the international office contacted everyone. In that case, did the international office give them the letters?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Yes, but OP says the international office contacted everyone. In that case, did the international office give them the letters?
Don't know, that's a question for OP. If they did get the letters, then there is no question, they need to apply for Co-op.

seung2613

Mar 18, 2017
yes. i got a letter from the office. but funny thing is they were not sure which one is my work practicum program. I had to tell them with date and program name. It seemed like they would write a letter for whatever i write down at the request paper. (there was a request foam)

seung2613

Mar 18, 2017
hey, what happens if they don't issue me the permit at the port of entry? what should i do?
should i defer a term? that's insane.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you require a permit, and one is not issued to you, what would be more insane would be to illegally work in Canada, throwing away any chance you had of PR.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
hey, what happens if they don't issue me the permit at the port of entry? what should i do?
should i defer a term? that's insane.
Huh, I though a institution like BCIT would be more prepared. Your only option is to flagpole and hope it works out. It looks like your college pretty much threw everyone one under the 18 wheeler truck.

seung2613

Mar 18, 2017
Huh, I though a institution like BCIT would be more prepared. Your only option is to flagpole and hope it works out. It looks like your college pretty much threw everyone one under the 18 wheeler truck.
hey thanks for replying. so the estimated processing time is 98 days on CIC website, and to be more specific, my next term start on September 4th. so technically i have more than 98days but everyone knows that 98 days is not guaranteed. Huh.
So, say that my school let me take those courses regardless of work permit. I don't see any problem graduating witout the work permit.
but most of international students at my program (there aren't plenty) seemed to decided to just do what international center says.
probably without thinking about the consequences, it might cause.
should i just go with the flow and apply it online first and see if i can get in time?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
hey thanks for replying. so the estimated processing time is 98 days on CIC website, and to be more specific, my next term start on September 4th. so technically i have more than 98days but everyone knows that 98 days is not guaranteed. Huh.
So, say that my school let me take those courses regardless of work permit. I don't see any problem graduating witout the work permit.
but most of international students at my program (there aren't plenty) seemed to decided to just do what international center says.
probably without thinking about the consequences, it might cause.
should i just go with the flow and apply it online first and see if i can get in time?
If you go and do work without a work permit, and it turns out you needed one, then you can forget about a PGWP and/or PR in the future. It's serious.