+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm not sure if I need co-op work permit in this situation

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This is something you need to ask the International Office, not us here. It seems something has changed within BCIT's International Office recently. Maybe a student got in trouble so the International Office revised procedures. Maybe IRCC told them to do things differently.

Regardless, without knowing why your international office has made everyone request letters for co-op work permits, none of us here can tell you what's going on.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
But then what about the grads already graduated without work permit?
I saw the program page, it is clearly mentioned as co-op, you will have to get the permit. If you don't get the permit, then you will not graduate, as the work you do will not be considered as co-op experience. If you are working co-op, then you will be working full time, which is not allowed in your off-campus work permit.

I would suggest to just apply for The Co-op work permit.

seung2613

Mar 18, 2017
I saw the program page, it is clearly mentioned as co-op, you will have to get the permit. If you don't get the permit, then you will not graduate, as the work you do will not be considered as co-op experience. If you are working co-op, then you will be working full time, which is not allowed in your off-campus work permit.

I would suggest to just apply for The Co-op work permit.
Where did you see that it's clearly mentioned as co-op?
I don't see any co-op aside from the optional 8 months co-op which i'm not doing it.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The industry sponsored project program from BCIT (from which I've hired students before) is a way to use student software developers to being to solve a problem you have. If the BCIT international office has received instructions from IRCC that this is considered work - and since it revolves around delivering a software solution to a sponsoring company, it may well be, even if you're not compensated for it - then you need to listen to your International Office.

If it turns out that IRCC believes that this part of your studies is work and you needed a co-op permit for it, and they seek enforcement against you for violating the terms of your permit, you could be looking at deportation and bans from Canada.

Yes, I know that other students didn't get the permit. But instructions change, programs change, and IRCC's opinions of things change. There is a reason why your International Office sent the paperwork around. Check with them. If they're wrong about this ISP, then maybe you don't need the permit. But maybe they were wrong before now. Or maybe IRCC's opinion of the project has changed.

Since you have time to apply for the permit, you do not want to risk going without it, in my opinion. Unless you talk to the BCIT ISO and they say "Oh wait, for ISP you don't need a permit. Our mistake. Sorry."

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Where did you see that it's clearly mentioned as co-op?
I don't see any co-op aside from the optional 8 months co-op which i'm not doing it.
Then its worth going to the International students office and mention that you are not going for the optional co-op, and in that case are you required to get a co-op work permit.