+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm new to this

claudi12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2015
Hey all,
We are intended to get married in Australia in July.
Now my husband to be want me to move as right away and I am totally lost. I don't know where to start. He made it sound so simple but I can imagine it to be a long and slow process from start to finish. Occording to him it shouldn't take more than a couple of months. His other suggestion is for me to go to Canada, get married and commence the process while I'm in Canada. Please what is the best but fast and legal way to go? We need to be together, the separation is getting tough of both of us but primarily my hubby who can not handle the situation well.
Thanks in advance.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
claudi12 said:
Hey all,
We are intended to get married in Australia in July.
Now my husband to be want me to move as right away and I am totally lost. I don't know where to start. He made it sound so simple but I can imagine it to be a long and slow process from start to finish. Occording to him it shouldn't take more than a couple of months. His other suggestion is for me to go to Canada, get married and commence the process while I'm in Canada. Please what is the best but fast and legal way to go? We need to be together, the separation is getting tough of both of us but primarily my hubby who can not handle the situation well.
Thanks in advance.
Firstly, can you provide us with a bit more information? Where are you from? What is your nationality? How long have you been together? Are you getting married so you can move to Canada? How long have you both been together? Can you prove it?

All of these questions will help the people here help you but are also important questions for your visa application.

Applying for PR through a spouse is easier than applying as commonlaw, so long as the marriage was genuine and not done for a visa.

Applying inland (in Canada) is different to applying outland (anywhere outside of Canada). you can do both regardless of where you are. The main difference is inland takes a lot longer than outland. Also, you cant leave Canada when you do it. Outland is generally quicker.

Overall though it is very rare that it will only take a couple of months. Generally putting the application together takes at least a couple of months as you need to track down and acquire documents to prove your intentions to live in Canada and to prove the legitimacy of your relationship. Once the application is done, the process will most likely take another couple of months just for sponsorship approval and then anywhere up to on average 10 months (through Sydney) for the applicant (you).

However depending on where you are from and where your normal residence is, the application will be processed there.

Welcome to the forum by the way. You will find a lot of advice and information here. It's overwhelming at first but we all get through it.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
If you are Australian, you can go "live" with him in Canada right now as a visitor.

Some of the information and times are outdated, but you can start by reading this: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

that will give you an idea of the process. If you are Australian, I recommend applying outland while you visit in Canada. That is the fastest way to get your PR. You can stay for 6 months at a time, and renew your status at the 5 month mark.

claudi12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2015
I am an Australian citizen and reside in Canberra. My choice would be for him to move to Australia, however, that will not happen due to the fact that my hubby to be shares custody with his ex wife and will never get permission to take the kids with him, furthermore, he has 26 years under the belt with the same company and consider his age (58) is unlikely to enter the job market. Contrary to the above, I have fully custody over my daughter and I am not restricted to anything. Having a profession to that is in demand, I can easily find a job even though I can not consider myself being the youngest. Australia is as good as Canada to live, more the circumstance that leaves me no other options then to follow my man.

If correctly understood, we can apply either in land or Outland even if I decide to go on a tourist visa then request an extension after the six months, is that right? In that time, will I be able to work and will my daughter be denied entering the educational system? All info will be much appreciated. I can not afford burning my bridges behind me.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
As an Australian, do NOT apply inland. Outland is by far the best option. Quite a few applicants through Sydney have been completed in less time than it takes for an inland applicant to get their work permit.

If you apply outland, you won't be able to work until you have completed the process, but it's still much much faster than inland. As for your daughter's education, I am not certain. You should contact the school or school board where she will be going to see what their requirements are.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
I agree with all of the above posts, apply outland. We applied outland in Aug 2015 and had a decision by mid Feb, from the date we mailed our application in to the day I landed and became a PR was exactly 7 months and there have been many Aus applicants who got their PR faster.

abbygael

Mar 27, 2016
Hi..

Sorry I have to post here. But i just have one question. I want to sponsor my brother, who is still studying abroad with my parents. But he is still 21. Can i do that? I don't think my parents could still afford to pay for his education, that's why I decided to get him there to here. And since I only have my husband here (living with his family). I would want at least one family member with me right now. :( If not, is there any other way?

Thank you and God Bless.