+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm Marring Next Week - need some advice, can i Sponsor?

forestal

Mar 11, 2009
Hi everyone, I am a Permanent Resident Here in Canada, I have been here for already 2 years and a couple of months.

Next Week, I'm getting married here in Canada with my fiancee who I have date for more than 2 years and a half, we met in peru (I'm Peruvian), I'm am a full time student and a part time employee. I have a great job but I didn't made a lot of money during 2008. Because of school, I couldn't do more than 25 hours a week.

Enough of the stories, this is what is going on:
1) next week we are having a civil marrige here in vancouver, she has to go back to peru in april to do her last semester of university,is it ok to get married here and start the papers from outside, or do I have to get married outside in order tto start the paper from the outside?

2) I did a little less than 25000 during 2008, can I still sponsor my wife?

I have many more questions but I want to start with this two, thanks for your help and I'll ask more things later

kong_jr.

Mar 11, 2009
I am new to this stuff too. However, I can tell you that if you are married, you do not have to meet minimum income requirements to be a sponsor of your spouse. Though they will reject you if you are on EI because if you are on EI and you bring someone else here, it is likely they will go on EI too and that will be a burden on the system. You should have a good letter/reference from your employer though to prove you have a job, that you earn a decent enough wage and you are useful enough that they will not fire you.

You can start the papers from anywhere. You can be married here and start the papers from Peru if you like. It is supposed to be a little faster if you start your papers while you both are apart because (in theory) they would like to re-unite you ASAP. But if you're both here, then it takes a little longer.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think they will reject somebody who is on EI. They will reject somebody who is on social assistance. EI is not social assistance. It's more like insurance. You pay into it and when you are sick or unemployed, you have the right to take out of it again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EI = Employment Insurance

If you are working in Canada, you pay into it every paycheck and have the right to collect from it if you lose your job, if you are sick for more than 2 weeks or if you have a baby.

kong_jr.

Mar 11, 2009
Unless there are other reasons not to that you are not telling us. Financial status does not factor into spousal sponsorship. If they deny you, it would be on terms that they do not believe the marriage is real (example: marriage only to become a Canadian). So they may ask for proof beyond a marriage certificate and children (phone records, photos, mortgages, and other things you own together or have done together) and you may have to go for an interview.

jaundice_p

Jul 30, 2008
When I first applied I was in debt from university. In fact, I hadn't had a stable job as of yet. So, I had not made even as much money as you had, plus I had debt on top of that. They approved me to sponsor!

Other than being on social assistance, you needn't worry about your eligibility from a financial standpoint.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think filing for bankruptcy, recently and depending on the level of your bankruptcy may also work against you. But, it doesn't appear that you are in that situation.

Congratulations on your pending marriage!

forestal

Mar 11, 2009
Thank for letting me know, I have no debts at all, I have a decent part-time job at UBC, and I have never got any loans for school. After reading your post, I feel more confident now, thankyou very much!!

P.S: if there is anything else anyone wants to add, please feel free to do it!!

d_1982

Star Member
Nov 20, 2008
jaundice_p

"Other than being on social assistance, you needn't worry about your eligibility from a financial standpoint "

regarding this i have 2 questions to ask.

what if you are on social assistance and sponsoring your wife, are there any other ways like a letter from judge or court explaning the situation or circumustances and still bring spouse while you are on social assistance?

what if you was on social assistance before, but quit* reciveing assistance after your marriage or before marriage, will you be able to bring spouse like this way by not reciveing social assistance any more from govt of canada?

i know some one can help on this...Thanks