+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm an Australian applying for a Work Permit and its getting Confusing. LMO.

Amiee12

May 20, 2012
Hi I have applied for an open work permit and now in the process of getting my work visa. But now apparently I need an LMO (well my employer does) but I have not needed one the last time I had applied for one.

I was sent an e-mail regarding the fact that I need proof that the camp i am working for "Client Information: Receipt of information from client LMO is required for this job offer OR
evidence from your employer that the camp is a registered Charitable or religious organisation. This must be received at this office by: 05/05/2013"

It is both not a charitable or religious organisation, It is just a summer camp that hires both foreign and in country.
My employer previously had not needed an LMO so I am confused as to why I need one now and is there a way to prove that this job does not need (I am a kitchen helper at the camp hired by the catering company NOT the Camp itself which is in ONTARIO) an LMO or does my employer actually need one?
My employer has not even heard of this.

Please any help would be much appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't know why an LMO wasn't required in the past. Based on the information you have provided, an LMO would certainly be required to hire a foreign worker for this job. Perhaps the camp previously hired foreign workers who were already authorized to work in Canada under a specific work permit like the post graduate work permit? Or a working holiday visa? In these instances, an LMO would not have been required. However if you are applying for a straight work permit - an LMO is definitely needed.

The LMO must be obtained by your actual employer (i.e. the company paying you). Information about LMOs can be easily accessed here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

Also, I noticed that you mention you have applied for an open work permit. This is a bit confusing since open work permits do not require LMOs. It sounds like you have applied for a closed work permit. If you do in fact think you have applied for an open work permit - on what basis? In other words, why do you qualify for an open work permit?

Amiee12

May 20, 2012
Sorry what I have written is a bit confusing I am sorry about that.

I applied for a working holiday visa but then was re directed to CIC after getting my confirmation letter from IEC. And this was my stage 2 of the process, having completed the paper work and applied online. which then for some reason said i was applying for a temporary residence in order to get a work permit which had me extremely confused because that had not happened before. if that makes any sense?

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you're Australian, you don't need a temporary resident visa to enter Canada.

If you've been approved for IEC, then you should get an open work permit and an LMO is not required in order to hire you specifically for this job (although other foreign workers would require an LMO for a closed work permit).

Perhaps you've misunderstood the online instructions for IEC somewhere along the way...?

Amiee12

May 20, 2012
Perhaps I have, because thats exactly what I thought. Perhaps I should start the process over again. If I am not able to figure this out. Is it possible for me to cancel my application and start over?

The information has been a great help to me thank you so much for your help.

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amiee12 said:
Perhaps I have, because thats exactly what I thought. Perhaps I should start the process over again. If I am not able to figure this out. Is it possible for me to cancel my application and start over?

The information has been a great help to me thank you so much for your help.
I've never used the online application process so I'm afraid I can't give you specific advice on whether you can cancel and begin anew, or not. If your application is pending (i.e., you haven't officially submitted it yet), can you backtrack to earlier stages or screens? Hopefully someone else can help out here...

Oct 30, 2013
Great you can check out the sites which give us detailed information on Australian Visa here is the site immi.gov.au/skilled/, australia-citizenshiptest.com/guides