+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm already 2 months in Canada and I struggle to find a job as an AutoCAD technician. Any ideas why?

Ridge

Star Member
Mar 20, 2018
RF
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-04-2018
Linkedin is not a social network.

I would strongly recommend that you find a way to be active there yourself and learn the linkedin platform. As others have said, many (many) recruiters work through here and you're not going to benefit from this if you don't know how to use the platform and can't interact with them yourself. A company really can't do this for you.

Being active on linkedin doesn't mean treating it as a social network like facebook. Being active means setting up your profile (basically creating an online version of your CV), joining a few related groups (you don't even have to post in them, you just have to join) and responding to any recruiters who contact you individually about roles. That's it. I'm not a facebook fan at all - but you'd better believe that I have a linkedin profile and it's up to date.

The world is moving more and more online - this includes jobs and recruiting. It's important for your career that you keep pace with these trends and change along with them.
I gave my wife a carde blanche for this linkedin stuff. Thanks a lot for your advise, mate. It still looks childish, weird and unnecassary for me. Load profile photo, tell about yourself, add friends, send messages and join communities. Facebook might as well add "job section" and be that new job search paradigm.
Sorry if my words offended anyone, btw.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
It might look unnecessary to you, but if you don't get on it, you will miss out in a lot of opportunities. Employers are using this platform more and more. Even more than the old fashioned way of advertising in the newspapers and such.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I gave my wife a carde blanche for this linkedin stuff. Thanks a lot for your advise, mate. It still looks childish, weird and unnecassary for me. Load profile photo, tell about yourself, add friends, send messages and join communities. Facebook might as well add "job section" and be that new job search paradigm.
I don't think anyone is offended - just surprised / confused. You came and asked us for advice about what you're doing wrong or what you could be doing differently. We told you. You don't seem to want to own or action an important suggestion that has been given to you. You can't even be bothered to take the time to learn why this is important.

Linkedin is literally where all of the recruiters are these days. I was just contacted yesterday by a big consulting firm directly who want to meet with me about a job. I'm not even looking. You are missing all of this right now.

Anyway it's your life and your career. No skin off my teeth...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I'd like to revise your comment a little to indicate the difference between LinkedIn and Facebook.

Load an "optional" profile picture, document your employment history (resume), add work contacts, send employment queries and join relevant networks. They don't require to know your hobbies or whether or not you like cats.

Reactions: Luciano1987

Maxgord

Star Member
May 31, 2018
Hey everyone. Been long time since I've posted here. You guys are always helpful so why won't you help me to figure out what could possibly go wrong? :) Seriously, I'm not asking to find me a job, just tell me what am I doing wrong.
I'm almost two months in Calgary (have PR card and class 5 basic driver's license) and there're no job opportunities for civil engineers here. I mean, employers post some vacancies, but they don't respond. I try to find a job as an AutoCAD technician (with ArcGIS and Civil 3D experience), construction surveyor/surveyor assistant (since my first degree was in geomatics and geodetic technology) or junior construction estimator. My CV is good, I mean it. I've researched multiple websites that provide information on how to make a proper and relevant CV and a cover letter.
So, how I actually try to find a job:
1) Wake up in the morning.
2) Search for a job with some key words like autocad/survey/surveyor/estimator via eluta/monster/indeed/jobbank/careerbuilder
3) Apply with my CV and a cover letter.
4) ?????
5) Repeat the process
Feel free to share any ideas what could possibly go wrong. Thanks in advance!
Hi Ridge!

My guess is that as a newcomer you're expected to be much more flexible in finding a job and thinking in general.

Try networking, volunteering, forums, employment agencies, government agencies, professional organizations, going back to school, getting local certificates/licensing, choosing a new profession, start from the very bottom, etc.

The way things done in Canada may differ from Russia (It's my home country). Besides, If an immigrant can't even sing up to LinkedIn, it'd be difficult to a Canadian employer to fit him/her into workplace anyway.

I believe you can make it! Best of luck!:cool:

Last edited:

parttimebasement

Star Member
Oct 22, 2018
Hey everyone. Been long time since I've posted here. You guys are always helpful so why won't you help me to figure out what could possibly go wrong? :) Seriously, I'm not asking to find me a job, just tell me what am I doing wrong.
I'm almost two months in Calgary (have PR card and class 5 basic driver's license) and there're no job opportunities for civil engineers here. I mean, employers post some vacancies, but they don't respond. I try to find a job as an AutoCAD technician (with ArcGIS and Civil 3D experience), construction surveyor/surveyor assistant (since my first degree was in geomatics and geodetic technology) or junior construction estimator. My CV is good, I mean it. I've researched multiple websites that provide information on how to make a proper and relevant CV and a cover letter.
So, how I actually try to find a job:
1) Wake up in the morning.
2) Search for a job with some key words like autocad/survey/surveyor/estimator via eluta/monster/indeed/jobbank/careerbuilder
3) Apply with my CV and a cover letter.
4) ?????
5) Repeat the process
Feel free to share any ideas what could possibly go wrong. Thanks in advance!
I will keep it simple for you and want you to follow the steps blindly. Or else just dont follow but dont ask why.
Again I do understand your concern but then if you want to stick to your policy then better be an entrepreneur.
Finally if you want a job then basically you are asking to be a slave so you need to do what other slaves are doing & please your master aka employer.Again humans have copy+paste tendency in their dna. If someone is successful by eating shiiiit then rest want to follow too.

1.Start vounteering asap or esle your 2 months career gap will worsen.
2.Visit temp/staffing agencies in your city. Again based on your profile I will advise go for reputed ones only.
3.Visit free employment/career workshops as you meet people & learn from them about jobs, websites, govt help etc etc. On top of that you can put those workshops in your resume instead of just writing looking for work.
4. About applying online make sure you have resume & cover letter that was tailor made for that specfic job.Now lot of people use one resume for 100 jobs but it will not work as employers can know the difference. so ask yourself how many jobs you had applied & how many times did your tailor made the resume and cover letter. so if 100 jobs applied = 100 resume + 100 cover letters.
5. again after applying online make sure to call the employer or find that person and let them know you already applied for the role and were interested to speak more about the role. And may be visit the employer in person and let them know. That will differentiate you from other candidates who just apply online & wait for that email which never comes.
6. Again visit your own community businesses and let them know that you are from the SAMELAND.Talk tyo them and hand over your resume. Here people who have no skills and cant even speak english are managers just because their Hiring manager is of the sameland. Its not fair but thats how it works. Again employers post job online to meet legal obligations but actually a canditate that was refereed internally or by a friend or sameland person is already chosen and will be given the job.

In the future employers will have sending video resume as mandatory. What are you going to do then ? About linkdin- Just do it. (end of conversation)

FINALLY YOU THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS YOU THE BEST.
iF SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING THEN READ THE SIGNS AND CHANGE YOUR APPROACH.
Let say you chose a career only because of money .For example you cant make much money in autocad then change career and become a truck driver in the oil sands where you can earn upto $150000 per year or may be become a house cleaner earing 30$ per hour.

DONT REPEAT THE PROCESS.

Right now you are at the tip of the iceberg. You have not got passed the first hurdle.
Once you get an interview then ask for help and i will enlighten you then.
Then comes stage 3 aka lixcing employer's a$$ & diversity politics of canadian multicultural workplace.
You got a long way to go.

Last edited: