+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegal US status....applying for Candian residency

chimmy1978

Jun 10, 2008
This is my first post here .....I have been lurking for a few weeks and I finally feel comfortable asking the following questions. I will appreciate it if someone will be able to give me a valid answer and not judge me. I came into the US with an F1 visa to go to College. I graduated with a BA in Political Science but I never left the country. I am regretting doing this because it's affecting my progress. I want to start a new life where I can prosper and migrating to Canada seems like the best option. Will my situation in the US affect my application? Do I apply from my home country or can I do it in the States?

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
If you have lived in the US legally for 12 months which I assume you did as you had a F1 you can apply in the US. You status in the US will not matter for Canadian Immigration.

ninaa34

Apr 29, 2008
The problem is when canadian immigration ask you about police clearence,the FBI are going to figure out that you are out of status...

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
The Canadian Immigration won't check whether your legal or illegal in the US. Just what GK said, if you've been in the US legally for 12 consecutive months your eligible to apply in Canada.

Even if you have a problem on your legal status in the US, you can still acquire this documents with no issue not unless you have criminal record. I believe the Canadian Immigration only concerned is if the applicant have a criminal records.

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
True...
I know of someone who started the process and successfully immigrated to Canada AFTER receiving a letter of deportation out of the US.

The Canadians are mainly interested in criminal records not legal status...