+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegal in the USA, Can I apply for PR in Canada based on my USA work experience as an electrician?

Vidi

Apr 19, 2018
As I was going over the comments in this forum I realized that I may have a chance to move permanently to Canada and start a new life there. My current situation is: I have been in the US since 1997, I am now 36 years old. I became an electrician nearly 18 years ago and currently work as a superintendent in a commercial electrical company. I also do residential on my free time. I am originally from Mexico, but like I said, I have lived here most of my life and have my family here, so there is really nothing for me in Mexico. Can anyone here advise me as to what are my options in obtaining PR in Canada. I have checked with an attorney before and she said my work experience doesn't count because I worked illegally in the US and Canada would not count that under the federal skilled trade program.

Thank you in advance

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I'm not sure that she is correct. Illegal work in Canada is certainly excluded but it's unclear that the same applies to employment outside Canadian jurisdictions. It's not up to IRCC to define what is permitted in another country, as long as you have documentation that proves the experience.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Illegal work might be a problem.
I do not know how on the federal level, but I know that provinces were asking for proofs of work permits (I know that for sure about Ontario PNP).
In addition for certain specializations you will need certifications in order for the work experience to be recognized.