+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegal entry on police certificate

NB006

Feb 3, 2020
Hello,

I am going to sponsor my husband Outland and wondering if any other members know of a similar situation. My husband has 2 deportations within Europe, 1 for an overstay and the other for illegal(undocumented) entry. He has not committed any crimes other then being in the country when he shouldn’t have.We received his police certificate from this country and it shows a misdemeanour for illegal entry. The penalty is 1500 euros, which he has not paid yet. I had a paid consult with an immigration lawyer who was not sure if this would make him criminally inadmissible, therefore needing rehabilitation. It is almost been 5 years but the fine has not been paid so she said the clock hasn’t started.

She then said there may not be an equivalent in Canada and therefore not treated as criminal. We are paying the fine now. Would this be treated as just a violation of IRPA in Canada and not a crime?
The lawyer was not interested in letting me pay her for her legal opinion only to do the whole application. Any advice or if anyone has been through this would really be appreciated.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I doubt it would have any effect on an application, as long as you are honest about it on your application. Illegal entry into Canada isn’t a criminal offence unless it involve human trafficking or smuggling.

miki_2016

Jun 25, 2021
Hello,

I am going to sponsor my husband Outland and wondering if any other members know of a similar situation. My husband has 2 deportations within Europe, 1 for an overstay and the other for illegal(undocumented) entry. He has not committed any crimes other then being in the country when he shouldn’t have.We received his police certificate from this country and it shows a misdemeanour for illegal entry. The penalty is 1500 euros, which he has not paid yet. I had a paid consult with an immigration lawyer who was not sure if this would make him criminally inadmissible, therefore needing rehabilitation. It is almost been 5 years but the fine has not been paid so she said the clock hasn’t started.

She then said there may not be an equivalent in Canada and therefore not treated as criminal. We are paying the fine now. Would this be treated as just a violation of IRPA in Canada and not a crime?
The lawyer was not interested in letting me pay her for her legal opinion only to do the whole application. Any advice or if anyone has been through this would really be appreciated.
Hello,

hello there i have the same problem
but mine happened in 2009 my sentence was 3 month in jail converted to a fine 1500 euro plus 10 euro each day of jail
i paid a lawyer in greece to get my court documents wich explain my sentence and everything i told her i want to pay my penalty i mean the fine 1500 plus 10 each day of jail she told me that the fine and jail sentence is written off
and she was able to get a document from the prosecutor wich exactly saying that the jail sentence (was barred) in accordance with the provision article 118
i haven’t sent yet to IRCC this documents
my question is how did you resolve this problem with IRCC thank you