+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IFHP coverage

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
Silly topic but I am not quite sure how to use the IFHP provided to me as a refugee claimant.

Nothing serious/ life-threatening, what do I need to do if I have a fever and flu?

Do I need to see a doctor or can I just get medications from the pharmacy? Are medications covered as well or do I need to pay for them?

How can I know which clinics / hospitals accept IFHP?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Silly topic but I am not quite sure how to use the IFHP provided to me as a refugee claimant.

Nothing serious/ life-threatening, what do I need to do if I have a fever and flu?

Do I need to see a doctor or can I just get medications from the pharmacy? Are medications covered as well or do I need to pay for them?

If what you have is a simple flu, then you can just go to a pharmacy. No - these medications won't be covered.

Reactions: joksuela

Um Zainab

May 4, 2018

You can go to walk in clinic and take your refugee claimant document with you . These two links may help you :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/help-within-canada/health-care/interim-federal-health-program/coverage-summary.html

Search IFHP Providers:
https://ifhp-pfsi.medavie.bluecross.ca/en/search-ifhp-providers/

Jan 10, 2017

You can go to walking clinic to see the doctor if you have a fever for over two days.
Only prescription medications are covered by IFHP, if you need non-prescribed medicine you have to pay for it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
IFHP covers prescription medication. Canada doesn't have a national pharmacare plan so Rx medication will not be covered when you have normal provincial healthcare. You may have coverage from work or you may have reduced payments if you are on social assistance. The IFHP is much more generous than the normal provincial healthcare system.

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018

Hello,

I am also a Refugee Claimant and I have been accepted for the IFHP Coverage,

For what I know and I asked, it is very simple. If you ever feel sick or need to see a Doctor Walk In to a Clinic, give them the UCI # and tell them that you are covered by the IFHP get your Letter of acceptance that was sent to you as well as your Refugee Claimant Paper (does not matter if it is expired) plus other ID (Driver License) in case.

With that you would be able to see a Doctor if you need medication they would provide it.

Try to get a Family Doctor register for you as well so explain the doctor your situation and he will understand you will meet him and eventually see him whenever you feel sick or need medical attention.

Good luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am also a Refugee Claimant and I have been accepted for the IFHP Coverage,

For what I know and I asked, it is very simple. If you ever feel sick or need to see a Doctor Walk In to a Clinic, give them the UCI # and tell them that you are covered by the IFHP get your Letter of acceptance that was sent to you as well as your Refugee Claimant Paper (does not matter if it is expired) plus other ID (Driver License) in case.

With that you would be able to see a Doctor if you need medication they would provide it.

Try to get a Family Doctor register for you as well so explain the doctor your situation and he will understand you will meet him and eventually see him whenever you feel sick or need medical attention.

Good luck
Almost but not quite. You can go to any walk-in clinic with you IFHP and you should be seen. If you are looking for a consistent family doctor you must phone around to see if they are accepting new patients and that you have IFHP. Each province runs healthcare differently. In Quebec for example you would contact CLSCs.

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
Are refugee claimants on IFHP eligible for family doctors? How can I enroll? I tried registering online using the Health Care Connect tool, but it requires the Provisional Health Care card which I obviously don't qualify for.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are refugee claimants on IFHP eligible for family doctors? How can I enroll? I tried registering online using the Health Care Connect tool, but it requires the Provisional Health Care card which I obviously don't qualify for.
You will have to call around. The system is probably only set up to accept ohip numbers.

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
Sorry i know this is not the right place to ask this question but i need some guidance regarding IFHP(Interim Federal Health Program)I am currently a refugee claimant and i got full time job which gave me health benefits too which is better than IFHP do i need to call immigration or else the IFHP to stop my coverage?

S2022

Jan 23, 2022
Sorry i know this is not the right place to ask this question but i need some guidance regarding IFHP(Interim Federal Health Program)I am currently a refugee claimant and i got full time job which gave me health benefits too which is better than IFHP do i need to call immigration or else the IFHP to stop my coverage?
Hi Faisalkhan555,
Did you get any response on your question? I'll be in same situation in coming weeks. Refugee claimant( awaiting for hearing) with fultime job and employer will provide health insurance( or Group Insurance). Is it ok to go for employer's group insurance or do I have to notify IFHP department or anyone else?

Reactions: Faisalkhan555

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
Hi Faisalkhan555,
Did you get any response on your question? I'll be in same situation in coming weeks. Refugee claimant( awaiting for hearing) with fultime job and employer will provide health insurance( or Group Insurance). Is it ok to go for employer's group insurance or do I have to notify IFHP department or anyone else?
Hey,No you don’t need to do anything on your end i did not call anyone while i was only using my company insurance. As IFHP is not accepted by every doctor.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Faisalkhan555,
Group insurance provided by your employer is only extended coverage for things like prescription, dental, vision care, physiotherapy and not doctors, hospital costs (except private or semi-private rooms). You need to have provincial healthcare to qualify for most extended benefit programs you get through employers. Assume you will also qualify for extended benefits if you have IFHP although it is more complex because you have coverage for things like prescriptions, basic dental, etc. with IFHP so I’m not sure. I would suggest speaking to your HR department and read the fine print of your extended benefit plan.

Reactions: S2022

S2022

Jan 23, 2022
Group insurance provided by your employer is only extended coverage for things like prescription, dental, vision care, physiotherapy and not doctors, hospital costs (except private or semi-private rooms). You need to have provincial healthcare to qualify for most extended benefit programs you get through employers. Assume you will also qualify for extended benefits if you have IFHP although it is more complex because you have coverage for things like prescriptions, basic dental, etc. with IFHP so I’m not sure. I would suggest speaking to your HR department and read the fine print of your extended benefit plan.
Thanks for detailed clarifications.